Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a New Phone Before Service Ends

SOLVED
19 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: Getting a New Phone Before Service Ends

Patsfan84 wrote:

Yeah. He's right. My Mom changed to an iPhone yesterday actually, and has an idivdual plan, but is still on the family account. I'll probably just do the same thing. I guess it just costs more for iPhones. BTW if you're wondering, I got the Evo Shift 4G! Do you guys think it is a good phone?

If your mom has an individual data plan, it would probably be cheaper for you to go on a Family Data plan with just her.  Just a suggestion. In reference to the Evo Shift, it's a great phone.  You made an excellent choice.  I hope you enjoy it.

Wizard

Frank--N--Beans wrote:

Patsfan84 wrote:

Yeah. He's right. My Mom changed to an iPhone yesterday actually, and has an idivdual plan, but is still on the family account. I'll probably just do the same thing. I guess it just costs more for iPhones. BTW if you're wondering, I got the Evo Shift 4G! Do you guys think it is a good phone?

I wasn't questioning if you can have multiple accounts under one person.  I was questioning if you start another account that you DO NOT have to sign a 2 year contract and full ETF.

If you want to find out for sure get your mom to call Sprint and ask how much the ETF is.  If its $350 then she is on a new contract.  If it isn't then she is not.

I have heard mix reviews about the Evo shift.  I think they suffer from lack of ram or memory or something.

I can absolutely understand your concern.  I know that contract extensions can be a little confusing.  To clarify, I am a Sprint representative and have access to all of our policies and procedures.  I can assure you that transferring the account that the line is active on will not extend the contract or cost an ETF.  It merely changes who is responsible for the current contract.  The only time there would be an ETF would be if there is a cancellation of the line.  So the current ETF would still exist for that line if he chose to cancel it after transferring it.  The only time you need to extend your contract will be if you receive a discount for a phone or an offer for a discount on your bill. Thank you for doing your best to clarify.  It's always good to know that we have customers who want to stay informed.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

Hours: 9am-8pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Journeyman

Patsfan84 wrote:

I wasn't questioning if you can have multiple accounts under one person.  I was questioning if you start another account that you DO NOT have to sign a 2 year contract and full ETF.

If you want to find out for sure get your mom to call Sprint and ask how much the ETF is.  If its $350 then she is on a new contract.  If it isn't then she is not.

I have heard mix reviews about the Evo shift.  I think they suffer from lack of ram or memory or something.

Wizard

I am 100% certain that a transfer of liability does not require a contract extension.  As Levi noted, it is not a new line of service.  All this does is transfer the liability of the existing contract to a new person.

Master

YES, As it is not a new line of service, But more a change of ownership on an existing line. That does not require a new 2 yr contract.

Journeyman

Journeyman

Fergie_B wrote:

Frank--N--Beans wrote:

Patsfan84 wrote:

So if I change to a plan by myself, how much would data cost per month?

If you get on your own data plan you will first off have to submit to a credit check.  If your credit is good then you wont have to put any money down.  For a single data line it will be $70 + the $10 premium data fee.  So $80 a month before taxes and surcharges and usually comes out to $90-$92 after taxes and surcharges.

But why put yourself in a 2 year contract with a full $350 ETF fee if you are not getting a subsidized phone?  I would wait a month or so until the iphone 5 comes out.  Then I would get the new contract.  Buy a new iphone for $200.  Then switch from the iphone to the phone that was given to you.  Then sell the iphone on craigslist for about $600.   

Basically if you are going to sign a 2 year contract and have a full $350 ETF you might as well get a subsidized phone.  And make a profit off that phone.

Actually, he could be on an individual plan on the same account without extending his contract.  There can be individual and family plans on the same account.  If he would like to transfer liability of the account to himself to be on his own account, there is no contract extension associated with that.  It will require a credit check, but it will just change the person who is currently responsible for the existing contract.

Not to question you but are you 100% sure about that?

Wizard

Frank--N--Beans wrote:

Patsfan84 wrote:

If you get on your own data plan you will first off have to submit to a credit check.  If your credit is good then you wont have to put any money down.  For a single data line it will be $70 + the $10 premium data fee.  So $80 a month before taxes and surcharges and usually comes out to $90-$92 after taxes and surcharges.

But why put yourself in a 2 year contract with a full $350 ETF fee if you are not getting a subsidized phone?  I would wait a month or so until the iphone 5 comes out.  Then I would get the new contract.  Buy a new iphone for $200.  Then switch from the iphone to the phone that was given to you.  Then sell the iphone on craigslist for about $600.   

Basically if you are going to sign a 2 year contract and have a full $350 ETF you might as well get a subsidized phone.  And make a profit off that phone.

Actually, he could be on an individual plan on the same account without extending his contract.  There can be individual and family plans on the same account.  If he would like to transfer liability of the account to himself to be on his own account, there is no contract extension associated with that.  It will require a credit check, but it will just change the person who is currently responsible for the existing contract.

Journeyman

Patsfan84 wrote:

Wizard

The smallest Individual Everything Data Plan with a smartphone is $79.99/month (this includes your $10 premium data fee).  The plan is 450 minutes (when not calling a cell phone or when not speaking on nights and weekends), unlimited text and unlimited data.  The smallest Everything Data Share Plan for the whole family is 129.99 for the first two lines plus 19.99 for each additional line (in your case, add $10 for the premium data fee).  This would still include any mobile any time plus 1500 minutes for non cellular calls, unlimited data and unlimited text.

I'm including a link to our plan optimizer so you can shop plans.

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/plan/plan_wall.jsp?tabId=pt_shared_tab&flow=AAL&planFamilyType=...