cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Hero deleted all my contacts after powering off several times over the past couple of days.

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC Hero deleted all my contacts after powering off several times over the past couple of days.

For the past couple of days my HTC hero has been powering off all by itself. Its not my battery. This morning I went to make call and noticed that ALL my contacts are gone. I went onto my google account to see if my contacts were there and some are there from a long time ago but not my recent additions to my contacts. Is there a way to recover my contacts by using my computer? My phone updated a couple of weeks ago and has NOT been the same since. I cannot wait for my contract to expire. Nothing but dropped calls and problems! And its a complete joke to contact sprint's customer service. They are monkeys that are taught to say "Im sorry for the inconvienance."

10 REPLIES 10
Wizard

Re: HTC Hero deleted all my contacts after powering off several times over the past couple of days.

MDPITTMAN0155,

Sorry to hear that! You should be able to re-sync your contacts from your Gmail account. You may try going into the settings/accounts and un-checking sync contacts, wait a few minutes and then re-check it to initiate the contacts to sync.

As far as the overall issue, it sounds like there may be a software or device problem. Do you have a Sprint repair center near you? You may want to have then check it out and see about repair/replacement.

Thank you,

Chris

Master

Re: HTC Hero deleted all my contacts after powering off several times over the past couple of days.

When you say you went to your Google Account, was it at the following?

http://www.google.com/contacts

If not, anything displayed under there? If the answer is still no, then two possibilities; 1) phone wasn't setup to sync contacts to server. 2) Phone was syncing and when your contacts got erased they erased from server as well.

Do you have any backups you can restore the contacts from?

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Unfortunately, unless you had them backed up with a 3rd party service or Google, you may have likely stored them to the device, which would be unrecoverable if deleted. I know some customers are able to go through their call history to re-find certain numbers. Are you still having issues with your phone powering off? Have you gone to a repair center location?

Journeyman

Thanks Chris. Those contacts that were on my gmail were synced back to my phone. However, it seems that my phone had not synced with my gmail in quite some time and not all my recent contact additions were added. I appreciate your input. The closest service center is roughly 45 minutes from my home. The sprint store in my town closed years ago.

Journeyman

Yes I went to my gmail contacts. Nothing but old contacts form the last time my phone sync with gmail contacts. How doI check to see if any other apps my have stored my contacts? Im not sure if my phone had any sort of back up. Not unless its provided thru sprint?

Journeyman

Kaleda, all my call history and contacts were deleted. My text were fine. I am going thru those trying to retrieve some of my contacts.

Master

No, usually nothing is provided by default other then the Contacts app itself. So unless you had done and Export/Import to get the contacts on the phone to begin with, or since then, you may not have that. Also, unless you downloaded an app to back them up, you won't have them backed up in that manner either. Another method was connecting to a PC and doing some sort of Syncing that way, but doesn't sound like you have done that in the past either.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

I figured. I have recovered alot of my more important contactthru my text messages. My phone deleted all my call history and contact but not my text messages. Weird huh? I am going to connect my phone to my computer and import my contacts that I have mangaed to recover. I really appreciate your help. You were/are more helpful than the Sprint people. Im sure that you have helped many other people just like you have me. Thanks bud!

Journeyman

smorts - When I sync my phone to my gmail contacts, from my phone, the contacts on my gmail are not updating with the new contacts that I just added to my phone. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to choose to save the contact to gmail when initially saving the contact? Or can  just sync the contacts and they should be sent to my gmail? Also, do you have a link that shows me how to sync my contacts to my computer by plugging my phone up to my computer? I tried it and dont see the file where my contacts are kept.

Master

Do you have Syncing enabled? Verify at the follwoing,

• Settings > Accounts & Sync (or similar)

When you added the Contacts back in, did you add them to the Phone Phonebook or the Google Phonebook? You should ahve an option to choose either or when adding he contact. Yo ucan see what its current set to by opneing the contact itself.

If you sync the contacts and Sycning is turned on, then it should sync with Google, assuming the contacts are entered into the Google Phonebook and not the Phone Phonebook.

Unfortunately I don't know which program the HTC Hero uses to sync with a PC, it might be HTC Sync or HTC Sync manasger. I can guess that it should be installed on the phone and when connected to a PC will attempt to install. Or you would have to go to the HTC's website and see if the HTC Sync app is available there. After which, there should be an option to sync contacts.

--

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat