cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone successfully turned on WIFI Calling on the M9?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Has anyone successfully turned on WIFI Calling on the M9?

Has anyone activated the WIFI calling capability on the M9?  I tried to after I activated.  The phone went through a device update procedure and I was left with no network connection to Sprint (voice or data) as a result. I had to reset the phone from recovery to get the a connection back.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Has anyone successfully turned on WIFI Calling on the M9?

Hi,

I'm a Sprint employee that also has this device.  I was actually able to activate Wifi calling last night without any issues and was able to make calls immediately.  I'm sorry you experienced those issues.  Feel free to report any other issues that you are encountering.

Highlighted
Wizard

Odd, I have activated on 2 different M9's, not single issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Works fine here, make sure you have it provisioned on your account it will show wi-fi calling under add-ons. If you don't have this, it won't work. Try updating data profile, check for the add-on and try again. You also need a valid address.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Came here with the same issues, so I'll just "me too" here.  I do have some additional information, at least for my situation.

I activated the Wifi Calling while at work.  It seemed that our company firewall blocked some of what it was trying to do, possibly, but the procedure continued once I left work and was on the local 3G/4G data network.

Since then, my cell connection (voice and data) goes to "sleep" after about 5 minutes.  The signal bars are empty and there's an X over them.   Wifi still works.

In this state, I get no incoming calls or text messages.   The funny thing is, if I MAKE a call, it suddenly wakes up and dials just fine, signal bars showing proper signal strength, 3G/4G data connecting just fine, etc.

Going down the list of settings I've tried and checked:

Under Mobile Data settings:

* Mobile Data, in genera, is ON.  I've tried toggling it off/on to no effect.

* Network Mode: I've tried CDMA only, LTE/CDMA and Automatic, same issue

* Automatic Connections: I've tried with this on and off, same issue

* Domestic Voice: Currently enabled... if I toggle this, the voice connection "wakes up" (whether I enable or disable Domestic Voice).  I assume it should be ON if I want to use it on local/domestic networks, so it's currently ON

* Domestic CDMA data: Ghosted out, even thought Domestic Voice is ON.  Not sure if this is correct but data seems to work when the connection isn't asleep.  Stays ghosted regardless of Domestic LTE setting below

* Domestic LTE: On.. tried toggling, no effect on connection going to sleep

International voice/cdma/lte/allow gsm data: All of these are turned off as I don't plan on traveling internationally and not even sure if this phone can do GSM on Sprint?  Doubt they're related but please let me know if they are.

Under Power settings:

* Power saver - currently OFF..  connection still goes to sleep

* Extreme power saving mode - currently OFF.. connection still goes to sleep

* Sleep mode - Connection goes to sleep regardless of whether this is on or off.... even when the screen is on.

Only thing I haven't tried yet is letting it sleep the voice/data connection, waking it up, then seeing if actively using the phone for 5 minutes prevents it from sleeping the connection.

I feel like it's some kind of idle situation but doesn't seem related to any of the settings that it might be.  And it definitely started happening AFTER I enabled the wifi calling and all the rebooting/upgrading occurred from that.

I'd love not to be missing incoming phone calls and texts on my phone.  I know people use their phones more for data than voice calling but if somebody's calling me, it tends to be important... like my grandmother where it might be an emergency.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hmm.. I might have fixed it. 

First, if someone at Sprint saw this and is fiddling with my account... you might have helped. Not sure.  Got a text message out of the blue saying that Wifi Calling was added to my account.

I took my phone off the office wifi because our firewall is too restrictive, plus I wanted to see how the phone behaved totally on the mobile data network and I started getting a new error message:

unable to establish a wireless data connection ehrpd 65535

Found a thread discussing that which mentioned trying ##UPDATE# so I tried that.  It failed initially, but I think because my mobile voice/data had gone to sleep again.  I toggled the Domestic Calling setting (off/on) to get it to wake up.. you can also just try to make a phone call to do this if you're in a similar situation.   Then I tried the ##UPDATE# again and it connected, updated my profile, updated PRL, rebooted, and so far so good.   Mobile data hasn't gone to sleep.. I have an LTE connection and the Sprint Spark sun icon...  I had only had the 3G before during these issues.

I had tried the Update Profile and Update PRL from the Settings before and they had failed.   Maybe ##UPDATE# forces it or something.   So anyone having this issue, try ##UPDATE#

Highlighted
GrandMaster

##update# (##873283#) is a hands free activation..basically runs you through both the PRL and Profile update without having to do them both manually..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

That certainly seems like what it does, but when I tried to do them manually, they kept failing.   Maybe the method it uses to automate the process skirts around something that was getting in the way of doing it manually?  Either way... something else for people to try.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

always possible..there is one other reset code that wipes all your network data (no loss to anything in the phone) but that one should always be the last resort. if there is for sure a network issue and you wipe your network data it could make things even worse.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been having nothing but issues with my phone and the WiFi/Service. It constantly loses the WiFi service then reboots. I am getting and apparently sending texts as doubles and triples. When the WiFi calling and texting works its great, but it is non stop issues.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

im able to connect to WFC but at times it takes a few attempts..then it will randomly shut itself off and i'll have to restart it again. i have just enough signal at home that its usually not needed but i do like having the ability to make/receive a call no matter where im at in my home..which usually isnt able to happen

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've tried it on M8,S5,M9 and G4.

I can set it up fine and make a call. But using it on a regular basis is a total crap shoot.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat