cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having problems with Samsung Galaxy S III battery life

Journeyman

Re: Having problems with Samsung Galaxy S III battery life

Hey J_Walker,

Thanks for this...I have just gone and checked the settings you suggested.  I've attached a screen shot.  Is this good, bad or otherwise?  I'm getting really frustrated with having to change settings all damn day (turn off wifi to drive home, turn on wifi when home).

Thank you in advance!
Screenshot_2012-07-27-15-25-30.png

Journeyman

Hey all,

I did as you all suggested and kept at it.  I was back at Sprint this past weekend still complaining about the battery.  They actually gave me a new one and we're golden!!  I got 12+ hours battery yesterday. 

SO HAPPY!  Now I LOVE the phone and can actually appreciate it.

There is hope!

Journeyman

Week+ long vacation... here are some excerpts.

Arrive at airport (Battery @ 100%).
Board plane (phone off ~8AM CT)
Arrive New Orleans (stop only), phone used for maybe 15 minutes
Takeoff (phone off),
Arrive Orlando, phone on (~2PM ET).

The phone was 100% dead before I made it to Downtown Disney (~45m later). There is no scenario that this is acceptable.

Next Experience… arrived @ Walmart (phone = 100%)
Exit Walmart after ~1hr, no real use, checked battery drain a coule-few times (phone=85%)

Next Experience… Legoland … phone drain was not great, but not the Walmart rate.

Next Experience… Animal Kingdon … phone drain was at the Walmart rate…

Next Experience… Legoland (return visit) … phone drain experience was same as previous

Finally,

CALLED SPRINT, new phone shipped to the resort. I planned to swap, but I didn’t have time – next stop D.C. Battery drain was still not great, bleeding juice more than it should be – not consistently the same rate, but consistently between poor and horrible (15%/hour with no heavy use).

Back-home, switch the phones out *yeay* … NOPE. The replacement phone is by far worse than the original phone! But since both phones are setup nearly identical, it’s interesting to note that the original phone (no GSM/CDMA/LTE now) is draining at a pleasant rate, while the new phone is draining insanely. Both are connected to my WiFi network. Sadly, I only get three bars at home. A few more tests to run before I send the old phone back… and maybe the new phone back too.

This is beyond annoying to deal with...

Journeyman

Sandra, did you get a new phone or did you get a new battery? My thinking is that some of the Galaxy S III are defective and it's not really a battery issue. I'm glad your issue got fixed though. It's really disappointing to receive a new phone and have problems right away like what we experienced.

Someone else said a few posts up that it could be a problem where an app is preventing your phone from sleeping. I thought about that too. I've only downloaded about 10 apps though and they are the exact same ones I'm using now on my new phone. On my old Galaxy s3, I had horrible battery life, but on my new GS3 it's about 16 hours (much better) and I'm running the exact same apps. So I don't think it's an issue with the apps.

Journeyman

I just got through going to the Sprint store because of the battery draining problem and they told me that I had to turn my internet completely off along with wifi, gps. I don't understand why. Why have this awesome phone if you can't use it. You have to have it plugged into the wall all of the time in order just to use it. I tried to ask for a different battery but the girl wouldn't change it out. She said it tested fine and I just had to turn off all of that stuff.

I had a full charge at 4 pm by 6 pm it went down to 77%.

Journeyman

I typically lose about 4% of my battery per hour with medium-heavy useage.  There really isn't a day where I don't have to plug it in until 11pm or so.  There are some days though where I do have to plug it in sooner than that, but those days don't come very often.  I do use JuiceDefender Ultimate though.  Before I installed it, the battery was drainging at about 8-10% an hour.  I read where people say those apps are a joke, but I think it has really improved my battery life!

Journeyman

Hi johnlert22,

The second time around I only got a new battery.  The first phone was definitely defective as it got so damn hot I was afraid it was gonna catch on fire.  The 2nd phone I received didn't run hot but battery still sucked.  I went in again...they said all is fine and the same they told everyone else in here (turn off GPS, wifi etc). It still wasn't performing as well as I knew it could so I went back again and the tech gave me a battery from a returned phone (not defect return) and ever since then it's been great.  I still don't get 16 hours but it doubled what I was getting which was 5 hours max.

And I agree with you....I think a lot of the phones are defective however, I asked the clerks how many ppl had been in to complain about the same issues...and they said I was the only one.  I told them...'you should go look online...it's like Samsung armageddon out there".

All I can say is don't rollover...continue fighting for a phone/battery that performs correctly.  I was so irritated for about 5 weeks b4 this was resolved but now I am in love .

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat