cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help: HTC Evo 4G LTE vs Samsung Galaxy S3 vs iPhone5

Master

Re: Help: HTC Evo 4G LTE vs Samsung Galaxy S3 vs iPhone5

Off topic here. How are you posting? Your posts are all being broke down into 2-10 word lines rather then continuous lines that wrap automatically. Are you by chance pressing the return or enter button on your browser as you type or is the app your using doing it?

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

I "upgraded" from the original EVO to the Samsung Galaxy 3.  I hate it and am considering getting a new battery and using my old Evo. No Flash, videos play about half the time and when they do start, half the time they don't finish.  I've lost the 4G connection (WiMax) which was great in my area (central NJ), and now it seems like the Samsung 3G is even slower than my previous 3G. Also, what's really pissing me off is the fact that I can't silence the camera anymore.  I used to always defend sprint and wonder why people would pay so much more $$$ for Verizon. After this, I may go back to them.  When I was in the store I was the one telling the sales people that the phone didn't have flash.  They didn't even know.

Ok, glad I got that out.

Journeyman

Hello smotrs

I'm have been posting from multiple  gadget .s  for ex. Ipad2  . The galaxy s3 .3 laptops . And now the evo 4 g

I tryed using the apps . But the code format where awful . Or i would have problem  logging in at all

Journeyman

Hello nj. I did just that I retuned to using my evo .since I already had a extended battery

I'm sorry to hear that your area lost its 4g service ..

I still have it in my area .

As far as flash adobe stop supporting mobile phones .

And the flash in the market are subpar in Samsung defense lol

Really...

Master

Weird, haven't seen very many posts that get get carriage returned or new lined the way yours are. Stange.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

NJ, so sorry for your troubles with the GS3.  I have not upgraded yet because there is not a cell phone that I want to be stuck with for the next 2 yrs ... plus I am starting to hate Sprint for various reasons.

The best experience was the other day when I called from my Sprint phone and the call quality was so bad that the Sprint customer rep could not understand me well. Cannot begin to describe how much pleasure I took in sharing that the call quality was what it was thanks to the Sprint network! ha!

Seriously considering going the no contract route. My ideal plan would offer unlimited talk & text with 2 GB of data/month and not with Boost nor Virgin Mobile!

Journeyman

Hello again I guess it's might have to do with the time each device take to actually reach the server .

They might be over lapping each over .just food for thought

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi BB_Cari.

I've been in the same boat - it's time for me to upgrade and I'm conflicted over which is the best choice for me. I am coming from the OG EVO - which I absolutely loved - but as it's two years old now it's just incredibly slow on web browsing (I assume just outdated/old technology not up to today's standards) and the battery is no longer holding up. I was (and still am) torn between the S3 and the new EVO LTE. I ended up purchasing the S3 ten days ago and I haven't had any issues at all.

For me the best part is that it's blazing fast. There's really no other way to put it. It can load a webpage as fast as my desktop, and I was playing YouTube videos today on it at only probably 3-5 more seconds to load than on a regular computer (if not equal in load time). I have not had any signal issues at all (I'm in Ann Arbor, MI - 3G only), I think the battery is great (I listen to music all day at work and still have 'green' in the battery display when I get home), and as for Flash, I literally just downloaded Flash two days ago on my S3 so I don't know what that's all about with the comments. I just looked up "Flash for S3" and the top search result took me right to a webpage with the download - I immediately started watching a movie right after the Flash download; worked like a charm.

On the downside though (for me), is that I did come from the old EVO so I know what a great UI is like, and the S3, like all other Androids, still just can't measure up to the HTC Sense UI. It's still the best in the industry, even with all these cool new phones on the market, and that's why I know exactly how many days I've had the S3 - because I'm still on the fence about keeping it or returning it for the new EVO to get that great interface back.

Small annoyances that I've noticed (comparitively between HTC UI and the S3's UI) -

1. The Alarm Clock: on the S3, when I want to set my alarm, I have to go to apps, then to the clock app, and then set the alarm; on the EVO, just tap the time on the homescreen and it takes you right to your alarm - HTC takes what people use most and puts it right there easy to get to/use. On the S3 when you tap the clock, it takes you to weather. ??

Also, on the EVO, I might set an alarm one day for 6am, and another day for 7am, etc. and EVO will save each of these TIMES and then give me the entire list when I go into "alarm" and I can just 'check' the box to set the alarm again for whatever time on a different day (if I don't want the same time for all week). On the S3 I learned the hard way (by being late) that if I set a single-day alarm on say Tuesday (without actually picking a specified day in the settings), for 6am, and then on Thursday I want a 6am alarm again, although like the EVO it will show me the 6am alarm that I can just 'check' to set, it auto-defaults itself to whatever the original day you set the alarm on so a specific day of the week is always tied to that alarm time you've created previously and you must go in and change the DAY or you simply won't get an alarm the next morning even though it shows the alarm is set, because it's set for the following Tuesday. I find that ridiculous. I used to have about five different times set in my old EVO (and the new one is set up the same) that any given night I could simply 'check' the time I wanted the alarm and I'd know it was going to go off at that time the next morning. Not the way it works for the S3 and with the clunkier UI it's just more tedious (even though I realize it's not a HUGE deal, it's still annoying).

2. There's no 'real phone' ring tone on the S3. None. You get a choice of nature sounds, music that all sounds kinda John Mayer-ish IMO (so equally 'low' volumn kinda sound), or little jingle-y sounds (not phone-like sounds but little whistles and such). I've missed every call since getting this phone. I simply don't hear the ringer. That also causes a huge problem with the alarm (again). Who wakes up to 'waves against the shore'?? lol So you basically MUST download a ringer app for the S3 if you work in any professional capacity, or just to even make sure you are hearing your phone when it rings.

3. The 'swipe to answer/decline' features are not as smooth. Answering or declining a call requires swiping left or right on the S3 along the same line (decline>>> <<<answer) which means it's really easy to do the wrong action if your swipe doesn't register the first time (which it tends not to). The alarm is set up the same way so again, easy to turn off if you just want to hit snooze. On the EVO the action is up and down and the most used actions ("answer" and "snooze") are a downward swipe of about 1/4 of the screen where as the opposite are upward swipes of 3/4 of the screen so much harder to accidently turn off your alarm/hang up on someone you didn't mean to. Again HTC shows it's UI to be more customized to the general users needs rather than just used for 'flare' effect.

4. *this one is dependant on if you use talk-to-text - which I do* You should absolutely NEVER text while driving. Seriously, just don't do it. But what I am used to doing is, when I get a text while driving, I'll read the text at a stop light and then tap the microphone symbol on the far right side of the keypad display (on both the old and new EVO), say my text, and it interprets it flawlessly and then 'send' and usually the light turns green right about then. On the S3 the microphone icon is on the far left. It seems like nothing, but when you're only using your thumb and you are glancing at the screen (cuz you still have to watch for the light to change of course), it's annoying. On the upside, I did test the voice recognition on this same feature on the S3 and it works jsut as well at correctly interpretting voice input - just bad button placement.

5. There's a feature on the S3 that sounds cool - it reads your eye to see if you're still viewing the screen and then the screen doesn't go to sleep if you're still looking at it. Yeah, that doesn't really work so don't be impressed. lol I am constantly hitting the button to turn the screen back on. Maybe you need brown/dark eyes for it to work ?? lol

But on the upside, the S3 has some 'fun new toy' features like their sharing features from phone to phone or from your phone to another device like your TV via Kies. And because it's so popular, like the iPhone it has all kinds of 'clothes' that are really fun to dress it up. The big screen is fantastic, even though the colors are a little fake-y/cartoon-ish because of the type of screen it has. All in all, if you haven't had one of the better Androids on teh market in the past, I think you'll absolutely love the S3.

I, on the other hand, will likely be returning it for the just all around better phone - the EVO. Oh, and the EVO takes significantly better pics based on my multiple tests in the Sprint store of the two. Oh, pss - and I also tested the speed of both the EVO and S3 in the Sprint store today and they were equal in pulling up the same webpages but I did not try to run a video on the EVO because it was the display while I was using my own S3 (that I have installed Flash on). OH - geez - one last thing: what I DON'T like about the new EVO is that the home key is on the far left - bad key placement just like the mic thing on the S3 texting - AND the "settings" key is who knows where on the EVO. I seriously couldn't even find it on the display today. The "settings", "home", and "back" buttons are the most used keys on any phone which is why ALL Androids have at least those three on the bottom of the phones but for some reason HTC decided to nix the "settings" button. Bad choice, HTC.

Good Luck with whatever phone you choose. If you go with either the EVO or the S3 Ithink you will be very happy.

Journeyman

Wife has GS3 and I have EVO LTE, we both get 4g LTE service in strong areas however I get a strong 4g signal at our home on the EVO and her GS3 gets none.  Doesn't matter because we use wifi in the house, but this proves that the EVO's 4g radio is way stronger than the GS3's.  I prefer the look and feel of the EVO as well.  GS3 has 2GB of RAM to EVO's 1GB, but the EVO still got higher quadrant scores.

BTW, you can find EVOs cheap on craigslist.  I was able to get mine for $175 new in box, never activated.  Now I can save my upgrade until something too good to pass up comes along.

Master

KG2005 wrote:

Wife has GS3 and I have EVO LTE, we both get 4g LTE service in strong areas however I get a strong 4g signal at our home on the EVO and her GS3 gets none.  Doesn't matter because we use wifi in the house, but this proves that the EVO's 4g radio is way stronger than the GS3's.  I prefer the look and feel of the EVO as well.  GS3 has 2GB of RAM to EVO's 1GB, but the EVO still got higher quadrant scores.

BTW, you can find EVOs cheap on craigslist.  I was able to get mine for $175 new in box, never activated.  Now I can save my upgrade until something too good to pass up comes along.

Wow, allot of users have been saying the opposite about the LTEVO. However I ntoiced after the JB update that it gets the LTE connection allot easier then it did with ICS so I think they made headways in that area.

Both phones are stellar. Very fast, plenty of memory, great graphics, etc.. You can;t go wrong with either phone. What it would come down to is your preference in interface. Do you like the Sense (HTC) interface or do you like the TouchWiz (Samsung) interface? Otherwise, doesn't matter which phone you get, both will do the job well.

BTW, GSIII has 1GB of RAM as well.

--

Journeyman

Sprint version is 2GB

Master

Wheres the specs on that? I was just looking and everything I was seeing was 1GB.

--

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat