cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Want to come to Sprint, but I need a phone first!!!

Journeyman

Can anyone help me find a phone with a virtual keyboard that doesn't have a slide out keyboard?! I am currently with Verizon and I want to come to Sprint, but I'm not willing to sacrafice what I already have in my current phone.

I need a virtual keyboard that I don't have to slide the keyboard out to return a text. The phone I have now, I just hit reply, turn my phone and there's the keyboard, so simple.

Not willing to cut my nails because the phone won't recognize my nails tapping instead of my fingers touching. Any suggestions would be most helpful. I have the rumor touch...will be sending back shortly!

11 REPLIES 11
Sprint Product Ambassador

Hmm.  The nail issue eliminates all the Android phones; they have 'capacitive' touch screens which pick up touch by skin, not pressure by your nails.

I'm not that familiar with feature phones that have resistive screens (pressure sensitive) -- anyone else know what would work? 

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Wizard

True. The resistive screens are only found on the cheaper phones. Not sure which phone only has a resistive touchscreen and no keyboard. I would check out the full line at a Sprint store.

Journeyman

You can always look for the BB Storm. It's got that silly touchscreen where you have to press down on it rather than a regular capacitive screen. But then again I don't think Sprint offers service for that phone.

I remember my old Samsung Instinct worked great with longer fingernails. I actually had to let them grow a bit before texting and typing became easier. Sprint no longer offers the original Instinct, but the newer version (S30) is still available last time I looked.

Keep in mind, the S30 is outdated software compared to the newer Android and WP7 devices being offered... and I don't think they have wifi capability either. It depends on what you're looking for. Most (read: all) touchscreen phones these days are capacitive, so you won't have much of a choice either way. Try a Blackberry. It's a physical keyboard, yes, but you won't have to slide anything out or flip the screen.

Journeyman

EVO thats your answer. you will throw rocks at your old phone after you try the evo for a day>

Journeyman

Sorry to be blunt....I've been with Sprint/Nextel since 1994. Sprint in my opinion, has always been at the forefront when it comes to upgrades, and the nation-wide coverage is amazing. The customer service and support I have found to be pretty much unmatched anywhere else. Unfortunatly, we don't live in a perfect world. You aren't willing to cut your nails, and you want Sprint to create a phone for you? REALLY???. Maybe it's just me, but your expectations are totally unrealistic. We have voice activation, caller ID, the Web, GPS, and so many other Apps, I can't even list them here. I think you need to stay with your current provider.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the EVO and love it.

Wizard

JoeyRoberts and I.gilliland - The EVO is a capacitive touch screen, not what the poster is asking for. You can't use a stylus on the EVO. You can't use the touchscreen when you are wearing a pair of winter gloves.

Journeyman

It sounds like Sprint will be coming out with their iPhone in the fall. I use a stylus with my iPod to avoid the nail issue.

I don't understand some of the answers you got. Most females have nails and dismissing the nail issue is like dismissing 50% of the customer base. I just learn to angle my finger right. It's a PIA but can be done. You'll have to go to a store and try them. No one can tell you which one works best in this situation. It's still a dumb thing to have to base a phone decision on. Blame the manufacturers for not thinking about 50% of customers.

Wizard

amkiah, its painfully obvious what kind of phones are out there on the market.  And its painfully obvious how easy it is to go to some stores and try out the phones in person and know what phones are available.  Sprint's website is so painfully obvious to be so easy when sorting through the phones that you are looking for with the search options.  You can check Touchscreen and other options without checking QWERTY/Physcial/Slideout keyboard.  Plenty of phones with Sprint having full touchscreen without the slideout feature, such as the EVO, EVO 3D, Nexus S, etc.

Hello Amkiah,

I would recommend the HTC EVO, Samsung Epic, or the Samsung Nexus X. 

All have the features you are seeking and are 3g/4g phones.

Thanks!

-Ron V

Wizard

It's "painfully obvious" that you don't realize this forum is where many people go for purchase and support advice. Many times user reviews are much better than going to a company's website. They will reveal product flaws that aren't discussed by the company.

EpicThunder wrote:

amkiah, its painfully obvious what kind of phones are out there on the market.  And its painfully obvious how easy it is to go to some stores and try out the phones in person and know what phones are available.  Sprint's website is so painfully obvious to be so easy when sorting through the phones that you are looking for with the search options.  You can check Touchscreen and other options without checking QWERTY/Physcial/Slideout keyboard.  Plenty of phones with Sprint having full touchscreen without the slideout feature, such as the EVO, EVO 3D, Nexus S, etc.

You must have missed the part of the original post that the OP needs something to work with a fingernail or stylus, and not a finger press. All of the phones you listed have "capacitive touch" screens... as Wengla and LoneStarBob both mentioned already.

EpicThunder wrote:

Plenty of phones with Sprint having full touchscreen without the slideout feature, such as the EVO, EVO 3D, Nexus S, etc.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat