cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did you upgrade your S2 to ICS?

Journeyman

How did you upgrade your S2 to ICS?

On the sprint message boards I've read many complaints about ICS.  One of the main complaints I've read about is the battery seems to drain much faster after upgrading to ICS.  This is really my only hold up on upgrading to ICS.  I did receive the update via OTA the other day but before I run it I wanted to see how others have performed the update.  I've heard that performing a factory reset on the phone prior to the update is the best way to go.

What is your opinion and do you have any recommendations that seemed to work well for you?

18 REPLIES 18
Wizard

Re: How did you upgrade your S2 to ICS?

Factory resetting the phone prior to the OTA seems to be the best way to go. I, myself, did the reset and have seen minimal problems since the update. The battery life does drain a bit quicker than before the update to ICS.

GrandMaster

I would hold off until they get all the bugs and issues figured out...no point jumping to the new and improved if it doesnt work correctly..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Good point...have you heard any talk of a new release or patch coming out to resolve issues related to ICS?

Master

Also, they were suposed to (rumor) be pushing it back out as rumored last week from a few forum users. Don't know anyone who got it though through that route so can't confirm myself.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

You mean they were re-pushing ICS after updating it to correct some of the issues users keep complaining about?

GrandMaster

nothing found within the SII forums either..some fixes or work arounds for a couple of the issues but thats about it.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/samsung/samsung_epic_...

for some the FR fixed the majority of the issues..the battery one is still a plague for sure though..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

you'll also get quicker responces usually if you post within the specific forums for each phone. better yet some of the problems you may run into might have already been posted in there as well.

Journeyman

Good point.  Thanks!

Master

Correct, it was being repushed or so the rumor went. But again, I was never able to verify with any of the phones I had access to that weren't upgraded already.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Master

See here a story on Android Central,

http://www.androidcentral.com/ice-cream-sandwich-rolling-out-again-sprint-epic-4g-touch

--

Highlighted
Journeyman

So, I decided last night to take the plung and update to ICS.  Here is what I did prior to the update:

* Backed up all information I could via Kies

* Reset the phone back to Factory Defaults

Note: after resetting the phone the OTA update was no longer available in System Updates so I had to download it.

* Applied the update manually

So far, everything seems to be good.  I'm letting the battery drain down all the way today and will recharge it fully tonight.  Hopefully this will help the battery continue to preform well but we will see.

Email is working fine and I haven't noticed in real problems to this point but its early.

I'll update this thread in a few days as to how things are going.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat