cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a Quad Core Phone coming to Sprint soon?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Master

Is there a Quad Core Phone coming to Sprint soon?

I'm up for renewal and I'm thinking to upgrade to a new generation phone, but as of today Sprint does not have any available.

Does anyone have any idea if there is a Quad Core phone on it's way to Sprint??

I've been watching the news for the new LG Eclipse, said to have a 1.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon S4 by Qualcomm with four "Krait" cores and Adreno 320 GPU, 2Gb RAM, 13 Mpix camera, 2100 mah battery, but no one knows when is it coming, if it's coming.

Please let me know if anyone has anything for this phone of any other Quad Core.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
9 REPLIES 9
Master

Re: Is there a Quad Core Phone coming to Sprint soon?

There have been 3 or 4 devices with quad core scheduled for release in Europe but most of the chatter states they will not be released in the United States.    We will have to wait and see.

Master

The LG Eclipse is for Sprint, at least that's what is floating out there, here is a link and I'm attaching a pic from that link too.

http://phandroid.com/2012/05/17/new-lg-eclipse-4g-lte-photos-surface-confirm-nfc-and-removable-batte...

I would love if Sprint will once again be the leader in the phone Tech WAR, since it was 1st for the 4G, 1st for the dual core, lets hope it will be 1st on quad core 2Gb RAM monster that everyone will envy lol

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Master

I certainly understand the anticipation for this device.  After scanning around a bit the best of the rumors have it the last quarter. Since I have no hard information on this device I will not comment on it availability

Sprint Product Ambassador

Speaking personally, I see that we mainly use Qualcom chipsets (except Samsung and one other, who do their own thing). Qualcom currently has a smokin fast dual core chip out, the S4; they've annoucned the Quad Core version (S4 Pro) coming out in production this month.  So, I'd anticipate seeing phones with the S4 Pro chip in the next 9 months to a  year.

I have no view into the pipeline, nor any official information.  Just basing this off the press releases on the Qualcomm site.  :-)

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

My understanding is that there is no current quadcore chipset that can work with the 4G LTE. That is why the Galaxy S3 is quadcore in Europe and dual core in the U.S. Eventually, there will be a quadcore available, but I have seen no plans yet.

Master

it seams like once again, Europe is ahead of US as far as cell tech and network, just like in 2000's and 1990's, that Europe was 4yrs ahead of US.

For a moment I thought that gap was over but I guess I was mistaken. This shows the orientation of the US cell Carriers in general (not just Sprint) that are more oriented in profits without spending on upgrades.

Well... back to hopping and waiting game

Journeyman

Sort of yes and no as to being ahead of the US. Europe has no current 4G LTE, so that is why they can get away with putting in a quad core processor. Europe is actually behind the US as to the 4G rollout. Frankly, I would rather have a fast dual core processor than no 4G.

Europe has had significant issues with spectrum availability and that has interfered with the 4G LTE rollout. For instance Orange Mobile has just announced that they expect LTE availability to be fully deployed in 2015. http://www.mobileburn.com/19005/news/orange-promises-full-european-4g-lte-rollout-by-2015

On the other hand, Sprint has been hampered by its total lack of planning in rolling out Wi-Max and then starting over again with LTE. I bet that Sprint and Orange end up meeting the same deadline. I have no interest in the LTE phones until the LA area has LTE. For the time being, I am sticking with my Galaxy S2 with WiMax. At least that is rolled out in LA and Orange County.

Journeyman

As to your original question of waiting for a phone with quad core, it really depends upon your location and what phone you have now. If you have 4G WiMax in your area, and your current phone is 4G WiMax, I would wait until LTE is more mature. If 4G LTE is rolling out in your area in the next six months, than I would jump at the HTC One or Samsung S3. If it is rolling out later, than wait for a quad core.

If your phone is earlier than an HTC Evo type, than you might consider a newer phone even though you don't have 4G. The processor really does speed up the phone reaction time on doing even email or switching between apps.

Journeyman

Could this be the rumored LG Eclipse? It has similar specs:  http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/28/lg-optimus-g-quad-core-lte/

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat