cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE phone without a LTE network? How is that possible?

Go to solution
Highlighted
GrandMaster

Re: LTE phone without a LTE network? How is that possible?

eh. im one of the many that will not see it in my market until the last leg...if that...i WILL however be getting this phone since it will be by far a upgrade to my current..which is the same phone youre still running as well if i remember right.

and true..safe bet...especially since they say the majority of the market should be done by 2013...not sure what their thought of majority is...but i dont think its anything like the rest of us see it. im also in a non wimax area...so its also safe to say that the odds of me getting LTE anytime soon is nill...very nill

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/670-completed-network-vision-sites-nationwide-map-screenshot-april... This is a map of the Primary market targets. However many more markets will be open by June, with secondary markets opening up by October. I remember buying the EVO 4G before the Wiamx signal was launched, and I will buy a  new LTE phone even if the market is not open in my area. A Galaxy Nexus, or EVO LTE should be on any list of smart phones. I prefer the EVO LTE, but I  beleive LTE should be up  and running by June or there after. Personally I ddidnt get Wiamx every where but my phone worked every where I went on the Eastern seaboard from Massachusettes to Florida driving with out a hiccup. Hell LTE only matters when you are on the internet any way. Calling, texting, GPS driving instructions, and having service every where I went at a fantastic price all were the main reasons to want and own a smart phone with Wimax speeds being a bonus for me. I believe Sprint is on the right track, and by years end you will be happy.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint already announced the exact release date of LG Viper. But hasnt announced any effectivity date of the LTE Network. We all know that LightSquared broke Sprint's heart when they wasnt able to pass the FCC. And didnt sign a pact with Clearwire for some reason knowing that they own almost half of Clearwire. So Sprint is going back to zero and building their own LTE Network. Will definitely take some time.

Highlighted
Journeyman

how come its running already without any Sprint LTE devices in the wild?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint already announced the exact release date of LG Viper. But hasnt announced any effectivity date of the LTE Network. We all know that LightSquared broke Sprint's heart when they wasnt able to pass the FCC. And didnt sign a pact with Clearwire for some reason knowing that they own almost half of Clearwire. So Sprint is going back to zero and building their own LTE Network. Will definitely take some time.

S4GRU has already posted Sprint testing LTE live in Kansas as we speak. Sprint has alread said by June expect majpr markets like Boston DC, Atlanta, texas to have LTE flipped on. The sales of these phones show that Sprint is ramping up its LTE networkvision. Here In NYC I have gotten speeds on 3G at 1mbs up and down in the Bronx. S4GRU commented to some one that indeed network vision in NYC is starting to come live. I see more complaints than I do people investigating what they are looking for. Sprint  CS can't take the time to answer every question that a csutomer ask aobut things only top brass would know

View solution in original post

Highlighted
GrandMaster

kylahoppe wrote:

how come its running already without any Sprint LTE devices in the wild?

my only guess is THIS time theyre trying to be ahead of the game before they kick out the phones compared to when they released the first wimax phone. like what is posted above you can go to S4GRU and they have a LOT of information you wont get from sprint about the new LTE networks.  all i know for now is that they have a few of the LTE networks up and functional but theyre locked out until they actually release some of the phones. it was already known that the one in NY was done when they did that sprint/HTC show...but no one could connect the the towers since they had them locked..not to sure why they didnt use that to help with showing off the phone...*shrug*

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Great! Now we're talking!

Highlighted
Wizard

You're also talking about managing huge projects across several firms with competing interests.  To have phones and service align within the same 12-month period is an amazing feat from a corporate perspective, though the individual customers will whine about not having the latest phone or the latest service.

Think about it...Sprint wants to change course and adopt LTE instead of WIMAX.  Publicly, they made this decision in July 2011.  This means Apple, Samsung, HTC, and all the other phone suppliers had about a year to R&D their new phones to meet Sprint's new NV, test them, and manufacture them for release in late 2012.  At the same time, Sprint isn't any of those firm's only customer...and not the largest customer.  They just don't have the pull in the marketplace that Verizon or AT&T do without even bringing global telecom firms into the mix.  Despite these challenges, Sprint negotiated amazingly fast turn-around times for these new devices to be available as they're bringing NV online and deploying LTE in several markets.

So while it's easy for customers to poke at Sprint's limited LTE availability right now or limited LTE offerings, a little perspective is in order about the magnitude of events that have to occur for this plan to happen over the next year.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

the majority of the markets will be covered by 2013... majority..the rest will get there but by what month or year is anyones guess. as long as the 3G in my area becomes usable again i'll be happy..never had 4G except at my sisters 2+hours away or where i do alot of my training..which is 1 hour + away. so its not affecting me either way more or less. either way im getting the new beast of a phone EVO 4G LTE...for the time being the same data speeds but one heck of a phone upgrade

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's kind of like the chicken in the egg thing. No point in putting up an LTE network if you have no devices to run on it yet, because it would cost a lot of money to have equipment up and not being used. No point in having an LTE phone if there is no network up yet. However, in this case, the phone is still functional and can still use 3G data, so that becomes the better option in this case.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat