cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE phone without a LTE network? How is that possible?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

LTE phone without a LTE network? How is that possible?

Is Sprint seriously gonna release a LTE phone ( LG Viper ) without an up and running LTE network? I know it would still work on Sprint's 3G but what the heck right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint already announced the exact release date of LG Viper. But hasnt announced any effectivity date of the LTE Network. We all know that LightSquared broke Sprint's heart when they wasnt able to pass the FCC. And didnt sign a pact with Clearwire for some reason knowing that they own almost half of Clearwire. So Sprint is going back to zero and building their own LTE Network. Will definitely take some time.

S4GRU has already posted Sprint testing LTE live in Kansas as we speak. Sprint has alread said by June expect majpr markets like Boston DC, Atlanta, texas to have LTE flipped on. The sales of these phones show that Sprint is ramping up its LTE networkvision. Here In NYC I have gotten speeds on 3G at 1mbs up and down in the Bronx. S4GRU commented to some one that indeed network vision in NYC is starting to come live. I see more complaints than I do people investigating what they are looking for. Sprint  CS can't take the time to answer every question that a csutomer ask aobut things only top brass would know

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Journeyman

no they not letting you buy it they letting you pre-order it just like they going to do the new evo

Highlighted
Journeyman

no they not letting you buy it they letting you pre-order it just like they going to do the new evo

Highlighted
Wizard

Yes, because they can, and they've got the built-in backup, 3G. They did the same thing when they introduced WiMAX (4G). It barely worked anywhere. What's different? Sure, in some ways it's crazy, but that's how they like to roll.

Highlighted
Journeyman

they probably will but as for me i doubt it cause they wouldnt let you pre-order if it was already out

Highlighted
Journeyman

what I mean is when they release the phone to the wild, there won't be any LTE anywhere yet. When they introduced WiMax, it was already running in certain areas when they released the 1st gen WiMax devices.

Highlighted
Journeyman

kylahoppe:

Good question...

Seems sprint wants to retain customers fleeing to other service providers. So they also started selling LTE phones by promising will bring in network support

sometime this year in few areas. Then will expand to other areas by 2014.

So it's upto customer's best judgement how to go with it

Highlighted
Wizard

kylahoppe,

You're right...neither does much good without the other.  If they wait for the LTE network to be built out before offering phones, Sprint couldn't possibly absorb those costs.  If they release LTE capable phones before the LTE network is out, they are going to have a harder time selling the phones.

It comes down to 1) do you trust that Sprint is going to follow through with the LTE network? and 2) is the newer phone an upgrade from what you have now? 

For question 1, I'm one of those who was burned by the promise of WIMAX and never received it.  However, I think they have a far better business plan this time and have adopted the same technology as the competition.  I see Sprint either having an amazing nationwide network in 2 years or bankrupting themselves trying. 

For question 2, I'm going to be among the first to get the new Evo LTE.  I still love my EVO 4G, but am tiring of having to remove programs in order to add anything else (running out of internal memory), realize how slow it processes information after playing with friends' Notes and Razors, and am starting to have to be creative in the positions I charge the phone in for the port to work.  Even if we don't see LTE in Memphis until 2013, the phone is still a huge upgrade over what I have now and will be future-ready if/when LTE arrives or when I travel to the "big city" to visit family.

Highlighted
Wizard

Who says there won't be LTE when the phone is released?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint all ready has a few cities that are running LTE. Sprint is also trying to push out LTE as fast as they can. If the next high end phones that are coming out on Sprint not LTE then people will argue why Sprint does not have LTE. So I would be happy they are upgrading and trying hard to get it done. Just give it time and they will have a super network. I do think they will pull it off.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

its already up and running...cant remember the city..but the one that HTC and SPRINT had their show for the EVO 4G LTE..i'll have to go find the info..i THINK it was in NY..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Wizard

Here's the link to the latest unofficial map:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/670-completed-network-vision-sites-nationwide-map-screenshot-april...

I was assuming that if he/she was asking about LTE not being up when the phone went on sale, he/she was from a market that doesn't have LTE already...like 98% of the country. 

Since the release date for the Viper is expected to be 22 Apr (http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/11/lg-viper-4g-april-22/) it's a safe bet the network won't be nation-wide by then.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat