Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on which Phone to get...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Need advice on which Phone to get...

Hi guys,

I need your help . I currently have the HTC Evo. It's getting slow and dated. I have my upgrade available but have held off because I do like my EVO.  Anyway, my daughter dropped my phone and cracked my screen . I have insurance but was told it would be $100 deductible to fix the screen.  So now I might as well upgrade. I immediately said that I would get the iphone. Everyone I know loves it. We have Mac computers in our house. It makes sense to be synced up. However, I was playing on my husband's iphone and I didn't really like it. I think I am just used to Android? I didn't like trying to find stuff on the phone.

So as positive as I was about getting the iphone, I am not so much into now. I started researching other phones. My neighbor has the Samsung equivalent (at&T) to the Galaxy s2. I really liked the look of it and the big screen. But now I hear the S3 will be coming out and the Nexus is already out?  I keep looking for info when the s3 is coming out because I can't wait until fall to get a new phone.  I am confused about the Nexus. I hear the future is LTE? but it is only available in certain cities and I am not in any of them?  Would I be better off getting the S2? Do you think the S3 will come out soon?  Maybe I will get used to the iphone once I have it. All my friends say I am nuts not to get it. ...but I just didn't like the navigation.

I know there is the HTC LTE coming out...but if LTE isn't availabe for me..what is the point?  I don't even have 4g in my area yet.

What do you guys think?

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Journeyman

Well to be honest with you the best choice would be the Galaxy S3. first off it has a massive 4.8inch screen, It also has a Dual Core processor with 2gb of ram (AKA Very FAST) It has a huge host of features as well as a great 8mp camera. Its very sleek and has a nice 2100mah battery with 16gb or 32 gb internal storage with room for an SD card. Its has rounded corners and smooth so it feels good in the hand. you can get it in marble white or pebble blue. You can tag your friends and family in photos. Do Burst shots and best photo with the camera.  You can also get a C-Pen with it which is similar to the S-Pen for the Galaxy Note, that way you can write on it and draw. Also has S-Voice which is Samsungs equivalent to iPhone's Siri. Theres also a whole bunch of other features I didn't talk about, but if you'd like just let me know but yes I have already preordered the Marble White version with a C-pen as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Do your own research cause your going to be the one stuck with the phone. I like samsung but they also take so long to come out with updates, and I have had the epic and galaxy 2 in which I keep losing data all the time I hate my hubby has htc and he never had problem like me so you research it and ask someone other than the sprint rep they want to make sells so its your choice.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The camera isn't a big issue for me . I have my good camera with me almost all the time and it takes fantastic pictures. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want a crappy camera . There would be times that I would use the phone camera. But if there is only a slight difference between the two phones, then it isn't a big deal.  The S voice isn't a big deal either because I think it's kind of a gimmick. My whole family has iphones and they forget that Siri is even there. Never use it.

I have been doing a lot of research. I am leaning toward the EVO . I keep seeing something about Samsungs radios being bad?  Does that mean it drops the signal easily?  Or does it have to do more with the gps?(which I don't use) . I am a little concerned with Evo 's battery being enclosed . I have the original Evo and really like my phone, but the battery life was horrible. I got a battery extender which made my phone very large  . But it helped.  I couldn't do this with the Evo. I know nothing about the Samsung phones. I have never had one . I know there is the touchwiz and the htc sense...but I am not really sure what they are talking about? I am not tech savvy when it comes to phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The HTC Evo 4G LTE is a good phone as well and is pretty much on par with the Galaxy S3. However the Sense Overlay is a little heavy but some people prefer Sense to Touchwiz. However at the end of the day The Galaxy S3 wins, and heres the reasons why. First of all there aren't any radio issues and everyone I've seen review the phone loves it. So anyways back to the comparison. It has a 4.8 inch screen to the 4.7 of the EVO although the EVO is using LCD2 but I've seen it in person and the original Samsung Epic with its Amoled screen still has deeper blacks and the color just jumps out more. 2GB of ram Vs 1gb of ram which means its overall faster, Removable 2100 mah battery Vs Enclosed battery, The camera features are pretty much the same although you won't use it much. S Voice although you won't use it much. Okay to review some feature that Evo doesn't have. Tap the top to go to the top of a list, PopUp Play video allows you to watch your videos while multitasking such as texting surfing the web playing a game etc., Also features such as saying a command to open your phone play music or many other task while not even touching your phone. Also you have Smart Stay where your screen doesn't timeout as long as you're looking at it, Also like I said earlier the C Pen for writing down notes quickly, Direct Call, Smart Alert, S Beam, AllShare Cast. However with all that its all about the fluidity and day to day use And the GS3 is just a MUCH smoother performing phone with no hiccups while using it. And hey if you're going to be using a phone for the next 2 years this is the one to get its future proof.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I need to what is the best cell phone to getin two years

Message was edited by: Activegril40

Highlighted
Journeyman

Many phones will have non-removable batteries; this is primariily so that design teams can wedge more widgets into the phone--proximity sensors, accelerometers, radios, GPS stuff, cameras--you name it, if a feature has to be there, it needs space.  And battery boxes take up quite a bit. 

While the base OS among all the Android phones is fairly consistent, vendors will add (or not) their own tweaks to sell the phone.  LG phones (of which there are two current on Sprint) are closest to raw Android.  Same with Moto amd a few of the lesser vendors.  Samsung adds a few custom apps, like the Kies air sync tool and their Media Hub.   HTC adds the most, as there is much tied in with the Sense UI.  However, as has been stated, Sense is quite possibly the most intuitive interface next to the iOS springboard.

Just so that we're clear, Siri does not and will never exist on a $99 iPhone 4, though that model has rudimentary voice command capabilities all its own.  Even so, until iOS 6 gets here, Siri is not quite as useful as it could be.  But having the ability to voice-dial accurately in a pinch (the 4 needs to be trained, and Android..meh..needs a lot of work) has certainly been a boon for a guy like me who fumbles on the keypad regularly.  Still, it's not an "everyman" phone--especially if you hold a grudge toward Cupertino.

--NA

Highlighted
Journeyman

Jenne... Listen to me.. I had all the phones..

evo sucks comapred to the gs3 

everbodies forgeting about the screen!!!!   Please let jenne know that htc screen is a crappy lcd screen while the gs3  has the Hd amoled screen

Lcd vs Led  ... the Led screens are alot brighter in color and dont look fadded like the lcd screen and also it saves a little more battery power...  I mean just look at the tvs samsung produces compared to the lcd ones..

besides... htc is china crap ...  korea makes better products hands down...

btw evo lte has a crappy antenna compared to the older htc

Highlighted
Journeyman

I recently picked up the EVO 4G LTE and my girlfriend a Galaxy S2.

Each phone has it's pros and cons. I presonally love my 4G LTE, 720p display, 4.7" screen, 1.5Ghz processor, and plenty of RAM + memory to satisfy me but don't forget you still have an SD Card slot to occupy. ICS was a wonderful touch as well, definitely makes Android a hell of a lot more fun, customizable, smooth, clear, and crisp experience across a 4.7" 720p display. The camera does have a tendancy to get dark in some pictures due to the lack of lighting and takes amazing pictures. Also, the battery is awesome, I use my 4G LTE to sync 3 emails, YouTube, about 250-300 texts a day maybe more depending on the day, and about 15-16 phone calls rated at 5-10 minutes a pop, while browsing the internet, using TapaTalk to browse forums, and listen to music and I can get it down to about 40-50% with 14-16 hours on the battery. Excellent for the size and hardware for the phone!!

While I had thoughts about taking my 4G LTE back for an S2, I changed my mind once I really got the hang of it and  getting used to the 4.0 ICS Sense but the phone handles it flawlessy. Just the LTE worked out better for me than the S2 once I actually USED it and tested it to it's full potential. So honestly, try it, and see.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat