Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No hype for LG Optimus G

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

No hype for LG Optimus G

How come there is no hype for this phone? My contract has been up since Feb. I need a new one but I never had an LG. I really don't want to wait for a gs4 or the recently leaked optimus g2.

Thinking of going to Verizon for the Htc droid DNA, but plan will be 27 bucks more. What do you think?

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: No hype for LG Optimus G

Hi Steven,

You also posted over on the LG Optimus-specific section.  But, just to answer your questions here, I think the relative lack of what you called hype (I'd call buzz) is because Apple and Samsung buzz crowds out the smaller players.  Also, it came out at the same time as the similar version LG built for Google's Nexus series, and all the tech-nerd blogs were obsessing over that one instead. 

LG has made excellent phones for years but the techies have been angry over LG's comparatively slow update releases lately.

I'm typing this on mine right now, while simultaneously streaming MP3 music from my media server to the phone on WiFi, and playing it over a Bluetooth-attached speaker!  The phone comes with a LG utility for network media sharing, and it works amazingly well.  The 802.11n WiFi access point is upstairs, and I am downstairs now, so that should give you an idea how powerful and solid this phone's network capabilities are.

RE:  your other question about a buzzing sound in the earpiece, no, I do not hear that at all.  The speaker on the back, however, isn't that great, given the tiny slot it has to pump sound through.  Do you also hear the same noise when using a good Bluetooth headset?

The best professional review I've read was this:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/19/lg-optimus-g-review-a-quad-core-powerhouse-with-nexus-aspiratio/

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

The LG Optimus G is a powerhouse of a phone. It has a quadcore processor that can handle anything that you can throw at it. It also has a 13 Megapixel camera with a 1080P video quality Camcorder. The phone is very good. Also, if you are more familiar with the Samsungs of the world, the Note II is also a quadcore processor phone with more than enough horsepower to make it future proof.

Thanks,

Ivan

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ivan thanks for the info, I'm fully aware of the specs. I would have thought for the reasons you mentioned there would be some hype around this phone. I never had LG and was wondering from the community if the brand was the reason, or is there something else. Note II is awesome but way way to big for me.

Highlighted
Wizard

If you are still shopping, check out phonedog.com. They have some objective, hands-on reviews of the Optimus G, Galaxy SIII, and Note II. I got a lot out of their evaluations when I was shopping two weeks ago.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I could not agree more regarding that "lack of hype about this device!

Really like my LG G ...it is a silent killer...

Must admit I am a little concerned about support, software updates etc...?

Time will tell..

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thats what i am waiting on as well.  People say "don't get LG" but i don't know why, i never owned one.  Also i simply cannot believe that they released this phyone with ICS.  Nothing came out with ICS, certeinly not a flagship phone.  No update in sight (rumor about JB coming in December in Korea, but that doesn't tell us anything here in the US).  So its hard to pull the trigger. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah,  ics should have been a red-flag for me too!

The hardware is so SOLID though....

On a side-Note" I do also own SGN2..

ALSO a fun device,  but not for everyone due to its size!  But what a device! !

Keep you posted if I find anything new in my digging on LG...appreciate the same!

Good luck!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Steven,

You also posted over on the LG Optimus-specific section.  But, just to answer your questions here, I think the relative lack of what you called hype (I'd call buzz) is because Apple and Samsung buzz crowds out the smaller players.  Also, it came out at the same time as the similar version LG built for Google's Nexus series, and all the tech-nerd blogs were obsessing over that one instead. 

LG has made excellent phones for years but the techies have been angry over LG's comparatively slow update releases lately.

I'm typing this on mine right now, while simultaneously streaming MP3 music from my media server to the phone on WiFi, and playing it over a Bluetooth-attached speaker!  The phone comes with a LG utility for network media sharing, and it works amazingly well.  The 802.11n WiFi access point is upstairs, and I am downstairs now, so that should give you an idea how powerful and solid this phone's network capabilities are.

RE:  your other question about a buzzing sound in the earpiece, no, I do not hear that at all.  The speaker on the back, however, isn't that great, given the tiny slot it has to pump sound through.  Do you also hear the same noise when using a good Bluetooth headset?

The best professional review I've read was this:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/19/lg-optimus-g-review-a-quad-core-powerhouse-with-nexus-aspiratio/

View solution in original post

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat