cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll: Would you Like Sprint to Get Nokia WP7?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just want to get a sense how many people will like to get thier hands on a Nokia Windows Phone on Sprint.

Here is some info on some of the phone Nokia is planning to release.

Fron WinRumors.Com

http://www.winrumors.com/nokias-windows-phone-sun-device-details-leak-due-in-november/

Details on another Windows Phone Nokia device have emerged, indicating that Nokia may have a number of handsets on offer at launch.

Nokia’s “Sun” Windows Phone device has been revealed in a posting at a french Windows Phone site.Monwindowsphone.com reports that the Nokia Sun will be made available between November 7 and 13, shortly after Microsoft’s Nokia World conference. The phone includes the following specifications:

• Windows 7.5 Phone Mango
  • 1.4Ghz Processor
  • Unibody shell polycarbonate
  • 16GB storage
  • 8MP camera
  • 3.7-inch AMOLED screen
  • Micro sim card
  • Available 7-13 November 2011

The Nokia “Sun” appears to be similar to Nokia’s “Sea Ray” and “Sabre” devices. It’s possible that both names are simply codenames and that the Sun will become the final branding for at least one of them.Nokia “Sea Ray”

• Clear Black Display CBD
  • CarlZeiss
  • 8MP AF
  • 3.7″ amoled screen
  • 16gb internal storage
  • 1.4gHz processor
  • Mango WP7.5
  • battery 1540mAh

Nokia “Sabre”

• interchangeable back cover
  • CBD
  • 25gb skydrive
  • 3.7″ LCD
  • 8gb internal storage
  • 5mp AF
  • 1.4gHz processor
  • Mango

Nokia “Ace”

• 4.3″ amoled
  • 1800mAh
  • carl zeiss
  • 8mp AF
  • mango+
  • HSPA+
  • CBD
  • 1.4 gHz processor
  • 16GB internal storage

Nokia is expected to unveil its first Windows Phone powered device at its Nokia World 2011 conference in London later this month. A large number of Microsoft employees will also be speaking at Nokia World to detail the latest improvements with Windows Phone 7.5 and presumably some of Nokia’s software enhancements. Nokia is believed to be preparing its “Sea Ray” device for the first official public unveiling, alongside “Ace” and “Sabre” devices. Nokia Windows Phone devices are expected to hit shelves in time for the holidays.

95 REPLIES 95
Journeyman

I'd consider buying a WP by Nokia.  It's not clear to me why Nokia/Microsoft didn't come out with stronger hardware.  It looks like "out of the box" they are already a year behind the iPhone 4S which has higher res screen, 1020P video, dual-core processor, and more internal memory.  WP will never capture market share with hardware less than or the same as Android/IOS.  Nokia should have been the partner to jump ahead with the hardware and give WP a chance in the marketplace.  It doesn't look like the existing WP manufacturers (HTC, Samsung, etc) are giving anything to the WP that will set it apart from the Android phones they make. 

Journeyman

I do agree with you, but I think this is just the first round of phones that Nokia will release. Remember the Nokia/Microsoft partnership is not even a year old, I'm amazed they even have phones ready to release so soon. In terms of dual cores and all I don't really care about because in the current state, the OS is pretty snappy, but I will love to have more memory and a better camera and I know Nokia can do that.

But HTC and Sumsung are releasing better phone. Look at the HTC Titan and The Samsung Foucs S which is the kind of phones that you are talking about.

Journeyman

Re: Poll: Would you Like Sprint to Get Nokia WP7?

Radstor wrote:

It looks like "out of the box" they are already a year behind the iPhone 4S which has higher res screen, 1020P video, dual-core processor, and more internal memory.  WP will never capture market share with hardware less than or the same as Android/IOS. 

I agree to a point.  Things like screen, resolution, camera, and storage all make a huge difference.  However, the specs don't really matter from a performance standpoint; they matter more from a marketing standpoint.  The latest Android device with a dual-core processor still lags because of the lack of optimization.  Apple is a bit of a different story but the question is the user experience.  WP7's user experience is extremely good on lower performance chips.  This provides an opportunity for WP7 phones to have better battery life while maintaining as good or better a user experience. 

For example, observe this video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG30mtlDKOs

Notice that Mango is able to render it significantly faster because of hardware acceleration.  Now let's watch another:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or3wvF9ts0I&feature=related

Basically, there are some really great things about the new iPhone.  However, WP7 is far more efficient OS.  The net result is that a specs war really amounts to marketing.  While I agree we need a better screen with a higher resolution, the processor and RAM are less important.

Journeyman

Answer to the poll YES.

What is the timeframe when Sprint will get the new Windows 7 phones? Any timeframe on when a high end Windows 7 phone from any manufacturer (HTC, Samsung, Nokia, LG, etc.) will be available? 

Journeyman

I love windows phone OS and I hope it will pick up and provide options besides android. I do see potentials in the OS but Microsoft never fail to disappoint me!!

The future of MS Windows phone 7 is directly proportional to how geeks  will be attracted to it.

Geeks wants:

1. At min dual core 1.2 GHZ processor
  2. Bettter GPU capable of at least 720p recording and 1080 playback.
  3. Front cam (>2MP) and back Cams(>=5MP)
  4. True Multitasking
  5. wirelsess (N and above)
  6. Better integrated ecosystem
  7. user accessable MicroSD card

What microsoft did in its 2nd gen win phones is offering phones below the avarage of the existing market.

But what I refused to understand about MS is: MS does not look like they are marketing the phones to the geeks but rather businessman/professional users who wants to check their mail on the go and reply to the clients/boss questions. The problems is MS is going after the BB users which are minority in current smartphone demographics. Android becomes famous because of its geeky appealing and ability to customize and use as you wish.

Microsoft is following the road taken by Palm and blackberry. I wish they could learn from others shortcomings, but I guess someone is real stubborn inside the windows phones division. I would love to have WIndows phone, but I don't think they will be any with the specs that I want.

People will buy a phone because its dual core: whether the second core is utilized or not (I know it is irrational but who told you that humans are rational??)

People will buy a phone with a big screen regardless if they use the screen real estate or not (again people don't make decision in what is right to buy, instead of bragging rights)

Journeyman

I understand your points. I do disagree about Microsoft following Palm and Blackberry. The first release of WP7 was to get everyone on the same page. They make sure that they have a developer backing unlike Palm and BB. MS wanted to created unified experience with the first release unlike what Android does with so many different iterations.

But Micorsoft is going for the tech community with the new hardware. A device that you might like from MS is HTC TITAN http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-titan/#specs  This phone has the specs that you are looking for. I think we are going to see a lot from them in this front. My point is that I want Sprint to get some of these phones.

Journeyman

(Im)Patiently waiting for this very thing...

Looks like it will get the Gorilla glass (all the current high end Nokia phones have it).

Journeyman

I hope Sprint will pick up HTC Titan.

Journeyman

I didn't even know that Nokia was still in business. I thought they vanished long ago. As for a windows phone OS. If its anything like their pc software no thanks. I have zero interest in anything with the Microsoft or windoze name on it

Journeyman

I had a couple of Nokias back in the day and they are great phones. I'm up for renewal and am patiently waiting for Sprint to bring in some more WP7 phones. I spent some time in the Verizon store this past weekend - used them like a cheap prostitute so I could play around with the Windows OS. I'm psyched about it and will wait a couple of months to see what pans out with Sprint. I disagree with xTresx in that I think most Sprint customers just want a choice of WP7 phones. The only thing we have now is the Arrive - which I believe to be a very good phone, it's just missing a couple of things that I would want. I do agree with xTresx on a couple of things in his list being:

1. At min dual core 1.2 GHZ processor (although the OS runs great on a single core 1GHZ)
  2. Better GPU capable of at least 720p recording (1080 view would be nice, but not a must have)
  3. At least 2MP Front cam and 8MP Back (5MP would be acceptable)
  4. True Multitasking (would be nice but not a deal breaker)
  5. I think any WiFi would do - I doubt you'll be seeing 11a/b now days
  6. User accessable MicroSD card (a must have)

So, I just sit and wait... patiently...

Journeyman

YES!!!!!!!

Please Sprint pull your head out of your @$$!!!! WP7 is a GREAT OS!!!!

I dont care that someof you had issues with winmo 6.5 this is COMPLETELY different,try one before you knock it.

I would rather sprint show interest in a future OS like WP7+8 than iphones, to little too late Dan Hesse, I think this Iphone deal sprint cut was a major mistake

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat