cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price Difference - New vs. Upgrade

Journeyman

Price Difference - New vs. Upgrade

I have been looking to upgrade my Smart Phone.... I am troubled because the Device Galaxy S2 or S3 are cheaper or Free as a NEW LINE.... However as an existing customer, I have to pay $99.99 / $199.99?? Where is the perk for being a Loyal Customer? As a Loyal Customer, we should have Equal or Better Pricing then New Lines.

Sprint's Resellers are able to offer even better pricing!

This is truly sad as I am actually shopping else where.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Price Difference - New vs. Upgrade

The price should be the same for upgrades and activations. The $99.99/$199.99 are after savings with a two-year agreement.

Highlighted
Wizard

ky158151 I think GARYH_626 is referring more towards Sprint Resellers. Amazon Wireless and many other give better prices on phones to new Sprint costumer than upgrading costumers. Example. Amazon sells the Galaxy S3 at 99 dollars for new Sprint costumers but if you are upgrading you have to pay 150. While Sprint may not have a direct control of the prices of reseller, I think Sprint does give some type of incentive to these reseller when they sign new costumers and thus these reseller give better pricing to new Sprint Costumers than upgrading costumers.

GARYH_626 if you are getting a Galaxy 3 don't buy it now wait. It rumors to be on Black Friday for 50 dollars see http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/27/sprint-black-friday-ad-galaxy-s-iii-sale/ I would also not be surprise if amazon wireless sell the phone for 1 cent that day or a few days or week earlier.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually I have been considering upgrading since Oct 1st. The Price of S2 finally came down in price to $99 however when I check 2 weeks ago, the price for the S2 on Sprint's website was Free with Activation. I got excited then a huge let down... In the account upgrade, still require $99.99 and wasn't Free. Appearently, it was for New Accounts only promotion.

To 3020fjr2's point, 3rd party resellers have always got better pricing.. I am unable to renew with them but Sprint cuz I have the Referral Program.

Spint should provide long time or Employee Referral customers better perks

Just Saying...

btw.. I know of the Black Friday Ad.. but wouldn't that also be for New Customer only for the S3? The Ad was not clear.

Highlighted
Journeyman

it would be nice to allow current customers to upgrade to a newer device at anytime at a reduced price.. as long as they sign up a new agreement.. instead of having to wait your 2 yr or whatever time frame before you get a discount.. its called newer devices, better devices at times.. and you are still keeping the customer.. as of now, if you want a new style phone and not in the upgrade time period, you have to pay the full amount.. if i am wrong, please advise.. but a reduced price would be great..

Highlighted
Wizard

That is in no way economically possible. People will just be getting new phone every month at the expense of the wireless company. Sprint and all other carrier sell their phone at a lost and part of the reason they lock you in a contract is to gain that money back plus a profit. This is for postpaid user.

Sprint does offer early upgrade by paying a fee plus the phone at a discounted price to some costumers it called the early upgrade program. It has to be a corporate owned Sprint Store and not a 3rd party Sprint Store. When using the Store Locator, look for the title of the store to say ONLY "Sprint Store". These locations are the only ones that facilitate the early upgrade program. They will be able to check if you qualify.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat