cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing an EVO 4g? What to get?

Journeyman

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to get an answer to the question.

I've had my evo for a year, and as the premier program ends, I still have the opportunity to upgrade between now and the end of the year, otherwise I have to wait until next October. 

I'm trying to figure out what is a good replacement?  I've adored the EVO, its an excellent phone, with the only complaint being battery life.

So I'm curious what people have replaced their evo's with, and what they like or dislike?

I like the Iphone, but I've rooted my evo, and like the opportunity to change roms periodically.  I haven't found the new phones besides the Samsung epic Touch to be really that much of an upgrade.

Suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Unfortunatly i think because sprint put so much into the iphone the must sell it.    So i don't think we'll see nice androids any time soon. :-(   

iPhone was the worst move ever.

Journeyman

If 3G performance is important, avoid the epic touch. I am regretting it as it's so poor that it's unusable for me. Then there's the loss of service issue and poor wi fi reception. In other words, anything that has to do with radio performance is sub par with the epic touch. The phone works great if you're not using the radio though.

Wizard

Recommending a upgrade device is relative to your needs and what you usually do with a smartphone.

But, All things being equal, being that you have  EVO and want to do this before the end of the year, you can go for the EVO 3D, or the Photon 4G or a Nexus S, as

any one of the three is a nice upgrade. There is also the Apple iPhone 4S, but with its smaller screen I personnally won't recommend it.

Trust me I feel your pain, being able to upgrade every year to a newer device.

TS

Journeyman

Go for the 3d its gonna get ICS 4.0 android for sure per htc on facebook its one of the first wave phones plus its cool and a powerhouse.

Wizard

Re: Replacing an EVO 4g? What to get?

I went from the EVO 4G to the EVO 3D and I'm glad I did. It's faster, almost double the internal memory and my battery lasts twice as long as my 4G did.I have had it for 3 months with no problems at all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Totally agree its like Htc listened to Evo 4g owners and built that phone and added 3d just for fun.

Journeyman

I personally would wait. The evo 4g is still a great phone. The 3D is very cool too. As popular as they are, I think htc will be coming out with a newer version of the evo within a years time. Since we don't get the upgrade every year anymore I don't want to be stuck with the 3D for two years if they come out with something new in 2012.

Journeyman

Why wait? the phones that will get updates have been anounced Htc evo 3d and design 4g Photon and SII. So in other words youll have next years software with any of those phones. Chooseing one of these could save you 100$ in the long run. Cell phones wont be getting quad core technology probably till the end of next year begining of the year after. they will ride out the dual core train as long as they can.

Journeyman

Honestly, dont get the iphoney. I too have the evo 4g. I went to play around with it and it too has the bloatware from sprint.. It sucked really bad.

Any way, the best thing to do is root your phone, install APK task killer, and unlock the phone. freeze the face book apps. those things run non-stop and also there are several others that run non-stop. All are installed by sprint to sell you more stuff.

I deleted my NFLZONE, Sprint TV, Facebook, and tons more... afterwards my battery would blast pandora all day long non-stop.

Before then, I was lucky to have a full battery upto 5 hours MAX

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat