So this is gay bullshit

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Wizard

It does not surprised me.

My next phone is a GSM

Highlighted
Journeyman

I guess because CDMA isn't as open as GSM Google wanted to remain true to what the Nexus is all about. Sounds like your options are to buy it unlocked or T-Mobile. I am not sure if down the line they will release a CDMA one like they did with the Galaxy Nexus. I was disappointed as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Then you could go to either AT&T, T-MO or any of their MVNO and get HSPA+ download speed. T-MO's refarming 1900 to HSPA+. Phone is available for purchase fron Google Play Store come Nov. I think, 13th. Your monthly bill would drop to almost half of what your paying now. Mine was $167.75 for 2 EVO 4G with dial up speed. Now, I pay $95.58 for 2 smartphones with 5-6 MBPS download on Straight Talk via BYOP. (Bring Your Own Phone) With Sprint, I've never gone over 1G/month of data.

Highlighted
Wizard

I just read this, too, and am extremely disappointed.  After waiting forever to get software updates for my Epic, I was looking forward to getting a Nexus, where that wouldn't be an issue.  I considered getting the existing one as soon as I was eligible to upgrade, but decided it would be better to wait for the new one that was expected this fall.  I do, and what happens?  It's not available on Sprint!  I'm really upset about this decision by Google.  From what I've read, they've abandoned not just us on Sprint, but also Verizon by doing this.  Maybe there are technical reasons for it, but customer-wise it seems like a bad move to stop serving 2 of the 4 major carriers in the US.  Now my upgrade decision is significantly harder.  Do I leave Sprint to get the new Nexus?  (I don't really want to.)  Do I hold on to my Epic hoping for a Sprint-compatible Nexus in the near future?  (Current phone's OK, but kind of old and Sprint may never get the Nexus 4.)  Do I upgrade to a different phone, and if so, which one?  (Samsung's software upgrades were atrocious even if their hardware is good; stick with them despite software issues, go elsewhere, to which manufacturer then?)  *sigh*  Sprint, I'd really appreciate if you could do something to try to get us the new Nexus.

Highlighted
Wizard

I am not far from your you. I am trying to buy my next GSM phone without a contract and go prepaid

Here is a link from The Verge explaining the reason for no LTE or CDMA Nexus

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually, the Nexus 4 seems to be a great device, from the specs that I read from Google play store, its a penta band, unlock. I think no LTE cause that would suck battery and if you decide to go prepaid, you're not gonna get LTE. If you don't have good coverage from AT&T or T-MO's, you could always opt for ST branded CDMA phone, not very high end, uses VZN towers. HSPA on both GSM provider are very fast, way faster than WIMAX, cost less than Sprint. I left Sprint last June when I found out no LTE coming to Honolulu anytime soon. Only other con against the Nexus, no Micro SD slot. For me, its a deal breaker.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You seem confused on how Straight Talk works.

Straight Talk uses one of the four US carriers depending on what phone you choose:

Straight Talk CDMA gives you the choice of Verizon OR Sprint depending on if you want an Android phone or not. If you pick a non-Android phone (aka "feature phone" or "dumbphone"), the phone will be on Verizon. If you pick an Android phone, it will be on Sprint. They sell the CDMA phones offline in brick-and-mortar stores such as Walmart and Target. These phones are controlled by the carrier and you do not get updates. Ever. A friend of mine bought the LG Optimus Q on Straight Talk CDMA and has never recieved an update.

Straight Talk GSM gives you the choice of AT&T OR T-Mobile depending on your personal preference. You do not get to roam so pick wisely. These phones are usually BYOD (Bring-Your-Own-Device) or you can buy online. Any phone that works on AT&T and T-Mobile will work on Straight Talk GSM. The Nexus 4 will work (don't buy the subsidized one from T-Mobile, buy the one from the Google Play Store), as will the iPhone that AT&T uses. Since the GSM phones are BYOD, they tend to actually receive updates.

ST does not have true unlimited data and are known for cutting people off of their network if you use too much. You are not allowed to stream video, music, or download large apps or files (it actually says this in their Terms of Service). ST also does not have LTE and will not get it for a while now.

However, if you have the ability to use T-Mobile, your best bet is the $30 a month prepaid plan which will give you 100 minutes of service, unlimited texting, and unlimited data (the first 5GB of that data is at HSPA+ speeds, the rest is throttled down to T-Mobile's 3G speeds).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm up to date with how Straight Talk operates, I don't need CDMA that runs on Sprint towers, that's the reason I left because if you look at Sprint coverage on 3G, its very small. I don't do Verizon because I would have to buy one of Straight Talk offering which is very dismal. I think Verizon does not allow ST to bring in devices that would compete with their offering. The best thing Straight Talk has going for them is BYOD/BYOP (BRING YOUR OWN DEVICE/BRING YOUR OWN PHONE) whichever you care to call it. When I left Sprint last June, I was paying $167.75/mo for 2 EVO 4G, Wimax in Hawaii is as fast as dial up. Since AT&T do not offer new customer UNLIMITED DATA, how can you expect an MVNO operator to offer UNLIMITED DATA, so here's the trick, use only 100MB/day anyway you want or less and not go over 2GB/30 day period should be a safe haven. I don't do Iphone 3GS or 4, talk, text and data are ok, just no MMS even with T-MO"s sim swap or unlockit.nz. Now the 4s is very easy to add MMS. The Verizon Iphone 5 already come unlock out of the box and it has a NANO sim so it can be used on any GSM provider. With the speed that I mentioned on my previous post. I get anywhere from 5MBPS download per speedtest app. With an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717 for me and a AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727 for my wife at $45.00/30 days each + tax I could not be happier.  I've used the service in Dallas, TX, Chicago, IL, Newport Coast, CA, New Orleans, LA without any problems. I don't do T-MO's because very poor coverage in my area and 100 minutes a month would be exhausted is two weeks time. Yeah, Straight Talk is less than honest, but what the heck, for the price I pay, I a'int grumbling. Oh, another thing you might be interested in, the less you contact their CS, the better off you are. If you need more info, there's a forum created for cheapskate people like me. http://www.howardforums.com. Chk them out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm in the same situation. I'm deciding between the Optimus G (same inards as the N4) or the Galaxy Nexus. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the GN. It's almost a year old (yet slightly newer than my GSII) but I'm tired of waiting for updates for so long. I want pure Google. I started my smartphone journey with the G1 and I think it's time to return home.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat