Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Galaxy SII - Battery Issues & Customer Service Issues

Journeyman

Sprint Galaxy SII - Battery Issues & Customer Service Issues

I have been a loyal Sprint customer for at least 15 years. I am so disappointed in the way they are handling the issues with the battery drain on the Samsung Galaxy SII. I have gone to a Sprint Service Center with the phone. I was told there that this is a "common problem" with this phone. I sent an email to Customer Service on Sunday. I received a call back today. The gentleman told me my choices are get a refurbished phone (which probably has the same problem) or I can do an early upgrade and pay full price for a new phone. I was also told the issue is not Sprint's fault and I need to call Samsung. The problem is that as a user, I don't care whose fault it is. My relationship is with Sprint, not with Samsung.  Customer service is about doing right by the customer. If replacing my phone with a completely different but comparable model costs Sprint $$, then they can go to Samsung to get the money back. The blame game does not make me have more faith in Sprint. I don't want to change carriers. But this issue is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth. Since I am under contract for a few more months, I have to decide between now and then who will be my carrier. But I guarantee you I will not recommend Sprint to anyone.

(By the way, I called Samsung and they said I could send the phone in for repair. I can't do that with small children I need to keep track of. Or I can do a master reset. I don't want to do that unless I KNOW it will help)

One of the companies needs to fix this KNOWN issue. Someone is going to be stranded somewhere in a dangerous situation with a dead battery and who will take the blame then? Sprint or Samsung??? Will it matter?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sprint Galaxy SII - Battery Issues & Customer Service Issues

I completely agree.

I have gone to 4 different Sprint stores and I have received 4 different answers.

1. It’s not a problem with the battery as the in-store tech tested it out.  It must be all the apps I’m running.  (Ok because I have 3 social media apps, the Bank of America app and Words with Friends downloaded. That must be draining my battery…)
  2. It’s happening to all SII’s since the new software release was sent out. I’ll need to do a master reset and it will be fine.  (Tried that. Nope. Same issue. Thanks for making me waste an entire afternoon restoring everything.)
  3. The phone is just old. (Right..because it’s less than a year old.)
  4. It’s a combination of everything and they’ll have to run diagnostics for 1.5 hours.  I asked them at 6:32 to run it and they couldn’t because they were closing at 8:00 PM. (What?! Can’t stay an extra few minutes?!)

This has been awful service.  I definitely do not want to use my upgrade or be stuck with Sprint for another 2 years. This is awful how they are treating their customers.  I paid $500 for my phone and am paying more or less $80/month for service.  That’s nearly $1,500 since I’ve had this phone and I can’t even use it properly.

I can’t turn it on as needed. I can’t even turn it off! I was coming back from Phoenix on a business trip and the only way I could turn it off on the plane was to take my battery out. Awesome.

OH! What about when yesterday, I had a 45 minute drive to a new town to meet with a client and I’m using my phone GPS and allll of a sudden, it turns off and turns back on with 2% battery life after having 72%.  I can’t call him to let him know I’ll be running late or that I’m lost now that my GPS is out.

That’s complete BS.  I am done with Sprint/Samsung.  I asked the lady at the store about the S3 especially with the S4 coming out soon.  She said “Yeah, we haven’t had too many problems yet. It’s been hit or miss though.” 

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!  This is 2013! These are smart phones!  Make them work!  It should not be hit or miss! I walked out of the store at that point.

Hey Sprint/Samsung…Remember that you are more likely to get people talking down about your product/service than people talking it up. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

If I may chime in.:  the complexity of current smart phones makes them extra vulnerable for errors as there is more that can break. This is an issue that we see a lot and it is hit or miss. The normally warranty exchange would indeed give you a refurbished S2. This is the device that you purchased originally so that is where it will be replaced with.

I am more than happy to see what we can do for you. If you want me to do this please send a private message with your phone number and pin and I can definitely take a look at the options.

- Mark

Social Media Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

The monthly rate and the cost of the phone that I paid for were so that I can fully utilize the capabilities of my phone.  If these smart phones are so “vulnerable” then don’t charge them premium prices.  Why pay $80/month when I can’t use my minutes and unlimited texts and data usage at my convenience.  I’m at the phone’s mercy.  I don’t want to pay $500 for my phone and then have it give me issues. I can’t even turn it on right now.

Makes it extremely difficult in the business world when you’re travelling and have clients all over the nation that you need to travel to or keep in touch with. 

I will send you a message.  I fully believe Sprint/Samsung should upgrade users who are having these issues to S3 or S4.  But that’s my take on customer service.

This is business lost once my contract is up.

I'll send you a private message regardless.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too have been with Sprint for a long time. Going on 15 years. I keep saying I'm not switching carriers because I've been with Sprint for so long. Apparently, this brand loyalty only means anything to me because it sure doesn't mean anything to Sprint. They do away with their Premier plans and treatment. New customers are giving far better incentives for getting the latest phones. I also have a Galaxy SII that I "upgraded" in Feb 2012 from my beloved HTC EVO. And this battery issue is a serious problem. What disappoints me is Sprint's so called "solutions" for this issue. I can either A: Get another refurbished SII and keep my fingers crossed that this issue does not happen again. B: Upgrade to a "new" phone like the SIII or HTC EVO 4G LTE and pay full price for the phone since I am not eligible for a discounted phone until Feb 2014.

My concern is if my phone is considered "old" after 1 year then why am I bound by the 2 year upgrade plan? And why also is it that since my Feb 2013 purchase, there will have been an SIII and an SIV to roll out even before my 2 year agreement is up?

I could not upgrade to the SIII or HTC and I WiLL NOT upgrade to the SIV or perhaps IV by the time my discount is up.by then, the Galaxy SV might be rolling out.

Sprint preaches brand loyalty and "appreciates" our time with them but that's all talk. It's more beneficial to move from company to company ow and once my contracts are up, I will most definitely be moving to another carrier.

Why stay with a company that does not show their appreciation, that does not provide the full use of services I am still fully charged for, and who cannot or will not provide reasonable solutions to known problems? I put up with this 2 year agreement vs 1 year phone life. I put up with horrible coverage. I put up with paying full price for partial 4G coverage. So why stay? Sprint does not value my 15 years let alone value me as any length of time customer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

- DLSMH

The 2 year contract is connected to the subsidy we as Sprint gave to for getting the S2 at a heavily discounted rate. The exchange you mention follows the warranty process as dictated by manufacturers. If you would get an exchange via them it would be a refurbished device as well. We fully understand that the battery issue you experience is not making you happy and proper process would be to replace your phone with the same device.

Yes, in 2 years there are always newer better phones coming out, but it is the same with cars, although smart phones get even faster released with minor and major upgrades.  So when upgrading to a new phone you always should make a conscious decision with what is coming up and on which phone you want to commit yourself to a 2 year agreement and where you are using your discount for

- Mark

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat