cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch To Unlocked Nexus 4

Highlighted
Journeyman

Switch To Unlocked Nexus 4

I was looking into the Nexus 4 by Google and I am thinking that the phone is more of what I need than my current iPhone 4S.  I was wondering if it was possible to buy the Nexus unlocked and swap out the SIM card in my iPhone.

I have never done it before, so I am not sure what happens to our current plan, etc.

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Journeyman

Lynannkelly12480,

This is a great question! Thank you for reaching out to ask it. While Sprint carries the Samsung Nexus, the Nexus 4 is designed for a different type of network than ours. Furthermore, the SIM in your iPhone would not be compatible with the Nexus 4. I am truly sorry for this news.

What features of the Nexus 4 caught your eye? I would be more than happy to look into what would be comparable if you would like.

*Ben

Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was looking into the Nexus for 2 main reasons.  1st is that I use Google for much of my work and personal life (Gmail, Drive, Google+, etc.) so Android just seem to make sense.  2nd is because the Nexus has a pure Android experience without the carrier skins overlaid meaning quicker upgrades, etc.  That is huge for me and the fracturing of the Android experiences across manufacturers is one of the reasons I leaned toward the iPhone initially.

Could you give me a little more detail as to why the SIM in the iPhone wouldn't work and what in your network isn't compatible with the Nexus 4?

Thanks again!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Lynannkelly12480,

Always happy to help as efficiently as I can!

To answer your questions:

1) Why the SIM form the iPhone won't work with the Nexus 4?

The devices are made by two separate manufacturers and there for how the SIM talks to the phone, and the information it provides, is different.

2) Why is the Nexus 4 not compatible with our network?

The Nexus 4 was designed to speak with the GSM/UMTS/HSPA+ network. The Sprint network is a CDMA network.To sum up the difference      between the two, it has to do with how the phone speaks with the tower that it is connected to, it is like two different languages.

As for a possible comparable device, which have you looked at? I am currently looking up devices with the pure experience that you speak of, but wanted to reply to answer your questions.

I hope this helps!

*Ben

Social Care

Journeyman

The feature I care most about is that it basically has guaranteed updates so I always have the latest Android for development purposes. Nothing is better than the Nexus for quickness and longevity of upgrades.

I'm strongly considering a jump to T-Mobile if Sprint isn't going to have any devices that I know will be upgraded.

Highlighted
Wizard

Before jumping to T-Mobile you need to check their network coverage in your area. I am not talking about checking the web page.

I just spent a month testing the competition (AT&T, T-Mobile and a couple of prepaids)

I can tell you that data speed on T-Mobile is great but too many call drops in my area

It may be different in your area but you need to test.

AT&T is OK but not my choice, I test it for a day and returning the phone today.

Nexus 4 is a great phone, if you are getting it directly from Google, then go prepaid (Straight Talk, Simple Mobile, ...)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Be very carefull with ST, they have some unwritten rules, no video streaming, no tethering, people have been able to get away with 100MB/day, some have not, it all depend on the traffic in your area. 2GB/30 days is also unwritten, but stay within, your safe. Speeds tops off at around 8mbps down, 1mbps +- up. There is no such thing as unlimited. T-MO, if you have the refarmed 1900 they got from failed merger with AT&T, HSPA+42, I've been with ST from May and coming from dial up WIMAX speed, difference is nite and day. If you checked ST's map coverage, its outdated. My wife uses the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket and I use the Galaxy Note, both decent, not outstanding. I was lucky to get the Nexus 4 on the 27th. Delivery by 5:00PM Monday. Can't say what I'll do with it yet.

Also, be aware that they no longer cancel your account for excessive use, throttling is the name of their game now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Be very carefull with ST, they have some unwritten rules, no video streaming, no tethering, people have been able to get away with 100MB/day, some have not, it all depend on the traffic in your area. 2GB/30 days is also unwritten, but stay within, your safe. Speeds tops off at around 8mbps down, 1mbps +- up. There is no such thing as unlimited. T-MO, if you have the refarmed 1900 they got from failed merger with AT&T, HSPA+42, I've been with ST from May and coming from dial up WIMAX speed, difference is nite and day. If you checked ST's map coverage, its outdated. My wife uses the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket and I use the Galaxy Note, both decent, not outstanding. I was lucky to get the Nexus 4 on the 27th. Delivery by 5:00PM Monday. Can't say what I'll do with it yet.

Also, be aware that they no longer cancel your account for excessive use, throttling is the name of their game now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Journeyman

Having the latest version of Android is what interests me the most about the Nexus, and the retail cost pretty much makes the notion of locking in a term contract for a handset subsidy a non-issue.

I don't understand why Sprint (and Samsung in all fairness) are so behind on OTA updates to Android. My SII is two major revs behind right now... why? Sprint needs to figure this out, I am otherwise happy with Sprint but the fact that I can't remove that stupid NASCAR app, don't get regular Android updates, and then have to suffer with the CDMA disadvantage when it comes to the latest hardware.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint doesn't even keep its Nexus phones up-to-date (Galaxy Nexus is still on 4.1) though it's certainly better than their non-Nexus lines (my Motorola Photon is still on 2.3.4!) How much of that is CDMA penalty and how much is just negligence is hard to tell, certainly both are factors.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I understand why the iPhone SIM card would not work but would a SIM card from another Android phone work? Ie if I used the SIM card from my EVO would it run in the Nexus 4?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat