Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch To Unlocked Nexus 4

Highlighted
Journeyman

Switch To Unlocked Nexus 4

I was looking into the Nexus 4 by Google and I am thinking that the phone is more of what I need than my current iPhone 4S.  I was wondering if it was possible to buy the Nexus unlocked and swap out the SIM card in my iPhone.

I have never done it before, so I am not sure what happens to our current plan, etc.

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Journeyman

Unfortunately not. Currently the Nexus 4 is only built to work on GSM, which is the standard ATT, T-Mobile, and most non-US networks use. Sprint and Verizon and most small US carriers use CDMA and the hardware is different so unless the phone is designed to work with both (like the Motorola Photon but not the Nexus 4) you can't use them on the other type of network. Hopefully there will be a CDMA Nexus 4 this year.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You can.  Just root your GSII you can get rid of the NASCAR App and get the lastest verison of Android.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Moto phone has more to do with Moto then it does with Sprint.  Also you are the only person I know who has the Galaxy Nexus not running on 4.2.1 without rooting.  Also if you want updates it is very simple root your phone.  It is a very simple process.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I jumped to T-Mobile. My employer's discount applies to everything, not just the main line, so even with the ETF, it actually made things cheaper. And the insurance at T-Mobile was cheaper, saving some money too. I looked at an early upgrade for my wife, and that would've cost $275, or I could pay an ETF of $240.  An early upgrade for myself was $275, or an ETF of $40. 

But I wasn't interested in staying on Sprint if they weren't going to be offering any phones that I knew would be upgraded.

With the discount, I could've left her on Sprint, but the cost would've been about equal, and this way I pay a single bill.

I've had some coworkers that also left early because they were stuck on Evo 4G's that just weren't cutting it anymore (and ran out of space if you did updates of system apps). If Sprint doesn't want to bleed customers, it may want to try reaching out to these people before they leave.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was curious to see Sprint's response to all of this, but the rep seems to have dropped out of the conversation.  I think that the inquiries from all these people deserve a response from Sprint.  I've been a Sprint customer for about 10 years and have been seriously considering an alternative.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat