cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The official Padfone 2 request thread

Journeyman

The official Padfone 2 request thread

This thread is dedicated to all the Sprint users who want the Padfone 2 when it comes out mid-December.

This Padfone is the most iconic piece of technology to be announced to date. It sports speeds faster then both the SGS3 and the iPhone 5. It also has better internal specifications then the soon to come SGN2. The Padfone, if you dont know already, is a 4.7" phone that can be docked into a 10.1" tablet to allow the maximum possible use of both devices. It has the longest battery life of any device on the market, as well as the best screen, the fastest processor, and absolutely the best camera.

This product has the potential to be Sprint's shining star on the phone market. the reason for this is that both ATT and Verizon are not interested in the device because of the potential problems it causes with their current data plans. However neither Sprint or T-Mobile are affected by this and would therefor have complete control over the sales. The original Padfone was the MOST successful device in both Europe and Asia this year, and has some serious potential to be successful over there and here in the US next year.

Here is a video showcasing the devices design and specifications:

Anyway please add your support for this device below in order to help convice Sprint to pick this iconic device that can revolutionize the US phone market.

39 REPLIES 39
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: The official Padfone 2 request thread

I would like to have this. This device is awesome.

Wizard

Based on the video, I am impressed. Have yet to hear any word on carrying this device as of yet.

Journeyman

It is indeed awesome!

Currently the device is scheduled to only be available in Europe and Asia.

Most speculation leeds to believe this is because US carriers want to make money by selling phone data and tablet data plans seperately. This Padfone completely destroys that ability. However, if this product was brought to the US exclusively by Sprint, I believe this product could increase revenue far passed what a seperate data plans for tablets could bring.

The only trick is to be able to convince Sprint of this idea.

Journeyman

As the owner of the Asus Transformer Prime, I can vouch for the quality behind Asus' products. Needless to say, Sprint would draw a tremendous crowd if they offered this in their phone line up. I would wait in line for this setup!

Please bring the Padfone 2 to Sprint!

Journeyman

This thread should already be up to 1000 posts, seriously.  Sprint isn't getting the HTC One X+ since it's AT&T exclusive, and an EVO rebranding is extremely unlikely.  I just seems silly to go into 2013 with only one option for a quad core LTE phone. (LG Optimus G).  Some people are going to be unwilling to touch that phone just because of LG's past track record, and that's hundreds of thousands of people that won't be getting a new phone and renewing their contract. Even worse, a lot of those people may choose to go over to AT&T for the faster and more widespread LTE and the ability to get the HTC One X+.  The tablet functionality option on the Padfone II would probably be enough to get a lot of people who aren't currently in an LTE coverage area to still buy the phone and stay with Sprint. They need some sort of extra angle that will tide these people over until the network vision rollout is completed.  This would be a good time to remember that 95% percent of "new" cell phone contract customers just finished being another carrier's old customer.

Edit: I'll note that yes, the Galaxy Note II does technically also count as a "quad core LTE phone",  but for the purposes of this, I'm excluding phablets. Though that does raise an interesting point. If Sprint is reluctant to have the Padfone II due to it essentially having the data use of a smartphone along with what would be done with a tablet, we already have that situation in one device with the Note series. If anything, I'd expect the total aggregate data use to be less with the Padfone II since you'll frequently take the phone on the go and leave the tablet dock at home, whereas that isn't an option with the Note II.

Journeyman

I am also suprised I have not gotten a bigger reaction to this thread.

It should be noted that this phone, even still running ICS will out benchmark most of the latest and greatest phones including the SGS3 and SGN2.

Who knows what it will be like once JB is released for the device in the coming weeks.

You make a great point at what I was originally trying to explain Chainfire1. Sprint needs a flagship device to hold people over (like me) until mid next year when they finally finish rolling out the 4G LTE.

I have been really tempted to move to Verizon recently dispite the extra cost due to their fantastic 4G LTE coverage in the NW.

However, if Sprint was to properly market this product and show it great feature combined with its ability to save people money. They may just swing many customers into jumping on Sprint, just for a crack at this revolutionary device.

EDIT:

I should also note the device is now planed to be released in the UK early next year as well.

A docking station has now been confirmed, although they have not said if it will be compatible with older docks.

Here is a link to a great, seemingly unbiased and complete overview of the ASUS Padfone 2:

http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_padfone_2_event-review-832.php

And another link to the Specs:

http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_padfone_2-5017.php

Journeyman

Here is another update.

An  ASUS manager from the Taiwan preview event leaked that the device will be released in the US sometime in December.

No carriers were mentioned and this leak was unofficial.

http://www.gsmarena.com/pricing_and_availability_of_the_asus_padfone_2_detailed-news-4958.php

Journeyman

It says it supports CDMA GPRS, WCDMA and a slew of other CDMA related technologies. I am thinking this may be one of those devices that is released with no specific carrier in mind. It may even be released with the ability to do CMDA and SIM based cell networks on one device instead of the standard approach of making a seperate CDMA and SIM compatible version of the same device.

I am not sure how carriers react to this kind of unlocked phone but my experience when i sold cell phones (about 6 years ago) for Sprint, Verizon and ATT (then Cingular) is that any phone that was capable of the technology and was not carrier locked could be activated on any network. Meaning a T-Mobile phone could if unlocked be activated on a ATT network provided that ATT actually felt nice enough to bother trying to activate it. Same can be said for CDMA, technicaly the tech is all the same acrosss all CDMA phones the difference is the algorhthms and encryptions that each carrier uses to access their network, some carriers network lock their phones so you can not for example take an iPhone sold for Verizon (also CDMA) and activate it on Sprint.

Point being (after my rambling) is that the Padfone 2 may be capable of both Major US cell phone technologies and decide to not allow their device to be carrier locked thus allowing their customers the freedom to choose their carrier at will. Of course once activated the phone would be tied to the network you activated it on until you removed it from the plan.

Maybe Sprint has a more relaxed approach to these types of carrier unlocked phones I am not sure but my general experience is that most carriers have the mentality of a spoiled child and if they do not get their own unique device they will have nothing to do with it (not calling anyone in particular at sprint a spoiled child )

Message was edited by: ajamison5579 - Spelling corrections

Journeyman

Honestly, I'd prefer a Sprint subsidized version of the Padfone II, since without a discount for a new 2 year contract, you're probably looking at near $1000 for the phone and the tablet dock, I'd think $800 at least based on the international prices.  I'm not up for that level of investment. The argument there is that essentially you're getting a tablet and a phone, both very good for about 60% of the cost that those devices would cost of purchased separately... But still, this would be a THIRD tablet for me and I just couldn't justify it.  I'd like to see a $200 price point on the phone, (like they did on the LG Optimus G with the same chipset) and then another $200 to buy the dock unsubsidized as an accesory. I can swing $400, but more than double that would really be more than I could talk myself into.  And I imagine that would be the case for about 70% of the people out there that would be considering it.

Though having a tablet with LTE connectivity that uses your existing data plan with no additional cost is a very persuasive argument no matter how you slice it.

Journeyman

I agree, This phone is the best phone on the market to date! The creativity behind it is out of control. I HOPE Sprint picks this phone up exclusively. This phone has a great potential to push Sprint's network to the next level. Asus fans from all over the US would be signing contracts with Sprint just to get there hands on this phone. Hands down Asus' hardware and developers are THE best when it comes to computers, computer parts and tablets. Gamers and geeks like myself are die-hard Asus fans when it comes to up to date technology,dependability, and durability. This would give Sprint the upper hand on a new US market phone brand. Look how the Galaxy series has taken Iphone by surprise. This could blow BOTH big name brands out of the water.  I would buy this phone with or without an eligible upgrade. And If Sprint doesnt pick it up, I would very seriously consider switching providers to get my hands on this phone.

SO COME ON SPRINT!

Journeyman

You cant legally use Sprint as a carrier unless they subsidized the device anyway. The international version of the phone will most likely be GSM anyway. Sprint is CDMA and uses an internal chip and a flash to put the device on the Sprint network. If you had a CDMA version you could flash Sprints networking code, but good luck updating it and it would be illegal. If you were to get the international version, you would want to switch to a GSM network the T-Mobile, ATT, or Virgin (probably my choice), get a micro-sim card and try and convice the company to flash it for you. With Virgin, atleast your saving enough money for the service to actually buy the phone upfront and it would only cost about as much as a subsidized version from Sprint.

I agree with your pricing suggestion too. About $200 for the phone, and maybe $400 for a phone and tab combo. Really cant wait to hear more info about wheather or not this is going to be carried by Sprint or another service. Cause I tell you what, as much as i love Sprint, if they dont carry this device then I will switch carriers to get it.

EDIT:

Die hard ASUS fans unite!

Love ASUS aswell. I have been trusting that company for over 4 years now and they still have not let me down. I had an ASUS laptop, traded it for a Transformer Tab TF300T, and bought a new desktop based on the ASUS P8Z77 Workstation edition! LOVE THEM!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat