cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Question!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Upgrade Question!

Hi, so I bought my Samsung Epic in February of 2012 with a two-year contract. It's almost a year since I bought it. I've been having technical difficulties with my phone and have taken it to a repair center multiple times with no success. It keeps breaking on me. If I purchase the new phone that I want off of eBay or somewhere and take it to a Sprint store, can they change my phone to take one with the same two-year contract that I have? Would there be a fee for that? All answers would be very helpful! Thank you!

-Courtney

4 REPLIES 4
Master

Re: Upgrade Question!

You can do that, and it will not renew your contract. They might charge you an activation fee, but if you bi tch at the right person, they might take care of it.

Just be very careful when buying a sprint phone, get the IMEI # and verify it with Sprint CS, before purchase, because they might have declare it lost or stolen.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Wizard

iciee15

Yes you can use a phone purchased from eBay or Craigslist to activate it on your account. There will be no activation fee, as that is only required for activations of a new line of service. As Dj_Damjano stated, best practice is to obtain the imei/dec/esn/serial number for the phone first and contact us to confirm the phone has not been placed on lost/stolen list. Sprint is not responsible for phones purchased thru 3rd party that is placed on lost/stolen list.

Ruth E

Social Care Team

Master

only1ruth.e I think I have to correct you on the fee, because every time I added a new phone in my account they always tried to charge me an activation fee. Either I was ripped off or you are wrong. My apologies if im not correct.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Wizard

Ruth E is right. You can swap one phone for another yourself on sprint.com without incurring an activation fee. I swap one phone for another all the time. The activation fee is charged when a new phone is purchased from Sprint. It's weird, but that's the way it works. To swap your current phone for a different one, visit:

http://www.sprint.com/landings/howtoactivate/index.html

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat