cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading in a couple weeks... Which phone to get?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Upgrading in a couple weeks... Which phone to get?

I will be eligible for an upgrade in 11 days, and I'm torn between the iPhone 5 and the S3. I currently have an Evo Shift 4G, which for the most part has been a good phone, but a little flaky as far as the Android part is concerned (Gingerbread). I've played around with both phones in the store, and both are great in their own ways. I am just concerned with call quality, as I do use my phone as a phone. Anyone have any insights or comments on call quality of the 2 phones?

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Journeyman

The Adreno 320 doesn't crush the Mali-400, but it does edge it out in most tests. But we're talking like 32fps vs 29 fps, and 60fps vs 58fps. And the question there is muddied a little because you  have to decide if the GPU is faster, or if it just has more system headroom due to the Krait CPU wrecking shop. Hard to tell with a system on a chip. The end result though is that you would get a few more FPS with the LG than you would with the Note. Nothing you would notice.  

Software is also a question, since the Asus Padfone II out benchmarks the LG Optimus G slightly across the board despite having an identical chipset and same amount of ram, and both running the same version of Android. That means to me that it's the LG vs Asus software on top of the OS that's making the difference.

But it's hard to deny that the hardware ecosystem when viewed as a whole for LG vs Note, the LG is a bit faster on things that are hardware heavy.  But it should really be noted that on things that don't rely so heavily on maxing out the hardware, the Note II outperforms it. That suggests to me that LG has the stronger chipset, and the Note II has slightly better optimized software.   The margins here are slim though. Honestly not really enough on their own to call a winner between the two. The Note is just off the table for me because it's too big.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks to all that replied. I actually wound up getting the iPhone 4S, and I love it so far. I get great reception, even in my workplace (which I couldn't get on my old phone). Call quality is great, and it's simple to use. Plus, it was only $99, compared with $199 for the iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S3.

Thanks again!

Highlighted
Wizard

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your new phone. Apple just released a software update, 6.0.1, that is set to fix a few bugs with the phone. The software can be downloaded and installed via iTunes.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat