cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View: Sprint needs to pick up the iPhone to thrive

Journeyman

View: Sprint needs to pick up the iPhone to thrive

Face it, in the last year Sprint has lost hundereds of thousands of customers. But the value of Sprint seems to supersede any other carrier in the US. If you look at the cost to coverage, Verizon is much more expensive (at least in my case), and AT&T's coverage can be described as lackluster. So what has caused this huge loss in 2009? I think the primary cause is due Sprint's weak (and I mean weak) phone lineup.

sprintgoog.jpg

AT&T has advertised heavliy with the iPhone, and the phone  appears to be the main cause of their success.

I have many friends  with the iPhone and when I ask them if they like their phone, the  overwhelming response is something like "Love the phone, hate the  coverage".  Fortunently AT&T's grapple hold on the iPhone is coming  to an end which means their is obviously huge potential growth to other  *cough* better carriers that pick it up.

Now Sprint seems to be putting a very large investment in 4G and if you have been following Sprints marketing, it is very obvious that this is their flagship offering for 2010 and beyond.  I think this is great, and with the HTC Evo 4G (Which is a complete beast!) coming out this summer, I do think 2010 will be Sprint's best year in a long while. But while the HTC Evo appeals to the hardcore techies and the current android users, I am not sure if this phone will appeal to the casual user, due to its complexity and probably high price point. And while 4G is great, many cell phone subscribers do not see this as a big deal. After all, look at the success of the first generation iPhone. It didn't even offer 3G, which was basically a standard at the time of its release. Yet the first generation iPhone was still very sucessful. So what makes Sprint think that 4G alone will bring a flock of new customers?

What made the iPhone (and ultimately AT&T) so successful, was the name. Apple. The iPod lineup has sold over 110 million units now. It is no suprise that people would choose a phone where they can have the handheld entertainment they have grown to love, and a phone, all in one device. As much as people love to hate on Apple and Steve Jobs, etc., Apple is a powerhouse and it's going no where. Just look at it's success last year. Apple sold over 25 million iPhones in just 2009. The iPhone will be a dominate phone for years to come. Now with Verizon adding 4G soon and with new rumors that they are also going to pick up the iPhone 4G, it makes no sense why Sprint wouldn't also jump at the opportunity for an iPhone.

Now imagine if Sprint picked up the iPhone. Along with the Evo, Sprint would have two powerhouse phones, appealing to more customers than ever. All of us Sprint customers know their value of service is the best of the 3 carriers. If Sprint was able to advertise the cost of their service compared to the others, while also showing their lineup, think of the all the people that would join Sprint. I want Sprint to be successful because I do enjoy what they have to offer. Let's hope they make the right move.

Message was edited by: emesyou

Message was edited by: emesyou

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: View: Sprint needs to pick up the iPhone to thrive

You can see my bias just from my avatar, lol.  However, I will try to keep an open mind on this.  Honestly...to each their own. There are thousands upon thousands that would love to get the iphone and that is fine.  If Sprint were to get the iphone 4g and not another fine piece of hardware like the Evo, I would probably opt for an iphone due to its functionality.  However, (hypothetically speaking) if Sprint did get the iphone...I would really hope they do not follow ATT's business plan with it.  No insurance available and refer you to apple should things not work right.  If that is the case...count me out for it, lol.

I know some that have an iphone.  Where I am at, there is no ATT store and wireless is really not offered here but you can get it.  You just have to go to the nearest city that has a store which is like an hour away.  The few I know...one has decent results with it (of course none have 3g coverage...imagine that!), one has constant problems (with the phone itself...not the service) and the other one has a few problems here and there.  Could it mainly be the network (ATT)...I am sure it has quite a bit to do with it.

Although most of us can agree that regardless what Sprint gets...they need more cutting edge phones like the iphone.

Sorry, had to swallow a little pride there...that was hard to say

However, another thing I see that Sprint needs more of are Windows Mobile phones. Especially now with WinMo 7 coming out.  Although, Sprint has done well fairly recently getting into the Android movement...especially the Evo, I can not wait!

Only thing I will be afraid to see with newer and highly glorified phones are the prices for them, lol.

Journeyman

Re: View: Sprint needs to pick up the iPhone to thrive

Even though I dispise the Iphone.. You're right. Iphone has a lot of sheep and Sprint would be smart to take on the Iphone 4G. WiMAX is built to handle large consumption of Data and it might be a welcome sight for ATT customer having issues with thier 3G services. Let's see what happens.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat