cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY NOT TO BUY A LTE PHONE, just yet

Journeyman

WHY NOT TO BUY A LTE PHONE, just yet

Look remember when we all bought phones from sprint and we had no 4g but had to pay 10 buks extra.

Same things all over again, wait till your area gets LTE, then go ahead and buy an LTE phone, i am; jsut not yet.

Not going to pay for something thats not evern up and running.

Now yoru probably thinking hey they have 4g now, why wont i have 4g when i get the new phone, its a long story, but its a diffrent frequency.

we now have wimax 4g, the new 4g is lte, the new lte phones dont support the old wimax 4g technology. Think im lying as yoru sprint represenative, they will tell you they same, dont ask they aint telling you crap, dont ask dont tell. They will let you buy it, and not tell you , cause you butt didnt ask.

So my suggestion , update your phone to ice cream and hold on to it until LTE is complete. trust me its like a new phone all over again once you update

now when will sprint update

when all the posers who want the lastest and greatest run out and get their new LTE phone with ice ceam and no 4g,losers

oh yeah and all the people who are frustrated on waiting for spring to update and they never didnt.

paintence is a virtue, next group of posers,  so yes youll be stuck with an older phone, but a older phone running the lates software and still have 4g, and if you rooted have free tethering, for you non techy's thats a free wifi hotspot.

hae having an old phone, iphone userrs do it, they have old iphone 3gs but with new io5 on it, if they can do it so can you

i like sprint, been with them for years, best hands down deal, sahdy at times but i love em.

im not going anywhere, but you got to get the most for your money,a dn right now there the best out there

p.s. if you have a htc evo 4g great phone, it runs good on ice cream ive seen it

well actually its cynogen, but its still a great phone. my suggestion get the photon, htec evo 3d, update then ride out until the end of 2013 that when LTE might be ready.

oh yeah if you dont have 4g in your area now, dont think youll be getting lte

Ok im done venting, just finished rooting my friends htc evo 3d, hes happy, he was about to trade it in for the new HTC evo lte, until i pimp slapped him

no hes all giddy and happy like a school girl over his new phone.   damn.... he just hit me

he likes his phone now, he jsut afraid to admit it

p.s.s. i posted on the forums where to get your phone updated to icecream, my suggestion though, dont wait on sprint, root and flash the rom

you wait on sprint you will be frustrated, and you might block access to future rooting. Htc lets you root, sprint doenst want you to

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Journeyman

Good plan if you already have a decent android phone, but many of us are on ancient phones and need a hardware upgrade.  Now if you live in an area with WiMAX coverage I would buy a used evo 4g and use it for the next year. Where I live there is no WiMAX , so might as well just buy the evo lte.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This plan (that I could barely read-seriously dude...stay in school lol) might work for you, but your forgetting the millions of others that either have older phones or are in the first market for the LTE rollout.  I qualify for both.  So your rant is fine...for you...if that's your plan, good for you.  But I'm a technology who-re, and I buy the latest and greatest.  I'm near Athens, GA and if you scroll on over to s4gru.com you can learn all about the planned rollout in my area.  There's a guy there pulling 30mbps down off of an LTE tower in town on his Nexus, right down the road from where I live.  Granted it is the only tower in town you can access with LTE, but it shows that it's not far off.  My advice to everyone has been to let the reviews roll in on these new phones before pulling the trigger, make sure the phones are as great as they sound.  But for somebody playing on a phone with low resolution, single core processor with limited memory, and is thick and heavy as a brick (here's to you old EVO) the new crop of dual core super sexy slim phones looks pretty darn nice.  Again, your plan works for you, but not everybody got there promised wiimax, and regardless of what Sprint says they aren't going to support it like they will LTE and Network Vision.  Just be prepared...wiimax is going to the back burner and LTE is coming.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'd advise going to Craiglist and getting a used phone.like a eco or

3d. Just make sure it had a clean e.s.n. that way you can go right to sprint and turn it; n no contract.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

why not just have the person trying to sale you a craigslist phone meet you at a sprint store...they can then check to make sure its not stolen and whatnot...if they wont meet you there...most likely its stolen..your problem is now solved..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
GrandMaster

personally i like the feel of the thicker phone compared to the slim ones..which i'll have to get used to since the EVO LTE's battery is non removable.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

A used EVO ebay/craigslist seems to be around $200. For that price you can the EVO LTE from Sprint. Since I'm not planning on leaving Sprint, the 2 yr contract isn't an issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sounds like you are someone who just learned to root their phone and are still high on the techy orgasm. Whether you have an og evo 4g or the evo lte, you still pay $10 SMARTPHONE data fee. And for someone like me who does not have wimax4g, there is no diffrence if I never get 4g lte. Ill still be getting the same thing: 3G with the hopes of 4g. Nothing lost, nothing gained. Except a better processor, more memory, better camera, better os, etc, etc, etc.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've got no intention any time in the near future of upgrading from my thick as a brick EVO4g..    I've had it long enough that I've got that option, but a couple of factors are stopping me from even considering it.

1.   They never got 4g anything here to begin with, and after being told "soon, soon...", Sprint decides to go LTE instead of 4g... Fine with me.   I've never been anywhere where 4g was available to see how my EVO4g did.

2.  The 3g speeds in Asheville are absolutely horrible.  I'm lucky to get 150k to 200k upload spead.  It's been horrible, since at the very least September/October of 2011...  It is usually 20k to 30k per second.  I've got an old US Robotics modem that's faster.  There is no set date for LTE in this area.   

3.  My EVO does everything I need it to do right now.  I'd just as soon root it, and run cyanogenmod, and just wait for the Evo Lte.  No sense in paying $200+$36 activation fee, for a new phone that is going to receive the same cruddy access speeds for 1 or 2 more years.. 

I've got my EVO in a good protective case, and as long as the little girl runs well, I guess I'm keeping her.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

i get moderate speeds on 3G...no 4G at all...so buying a new LTE phone will keep me in the same boat...aside from having a quicker phone with new goodies..i'll be jumping on the EVO in a couple months.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello all, I wanted to chime in to fill in some detail. The Evo LTE 4G is a fantastic choice for upgrade for so many people because it has faster processing, more available memory, Etc than most phones. Secondly since we have such an aggressive roll out schedule, many thanks to Network vision, much of our network will be upgraded to LTE service in the next year. You can rest assured that this rollout will have a strong momentum because it’s our project, not a project from another company. Check http://network.sprint.com, and www.sprint.com/LTE for News/Info.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks RC1024.  As you mentioned the LTE rollout is supposed to be fast and impressive.  It may not make sense for some to upgrade, but don't discount those that are in the first round markets for LTE.  I would have no problem purchasing an LTE device as I'm going to be one of the first to have access to it.  Check out the Athens, GA LTE forum on s4gru.com, there is a guy in my town pulling 20-30 mbps off of the one tower they have turned on with his Galaxy Nexus.  I realize the tower is uncongested, but really how many people will move to LTE in the first year?  And by the end of next year hopefully we'll see some on the 800 band which will significantly improve signal strength for everyone. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat