cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY NOT TO BUY A LTE PHONE, just yet

Highlighted
Journeyman

WHY NOT TO BUY A LTE PHONE, just yet

Look remember when we all bought phones from sprint and we had no 4g but had to pay 10 buks extra.

Same things all over again, wait till your area gets LTE, then go ahead and buy an LTE phone, i am; jsut not yet.

Not going to pay for something thats not evern up and running.

Now yoru probably thinking hey they have 4g now, why wont i have 4g when i get the new phone, its a long story, but its a diffrent frequency.

we now have wimax 4g, the new 4g is lte, the new lte phones dont support the old wimax 4g technology. Think im lying as yoru sprint represenative, they will tell you they same, dont ask they aint telling you crap, dont ask dont tell. They will let you buy it, and not tell you , cause you butt didnt ask.

So my suggestion , update your phone to ice cream and hold on to it until LTE is complete. trust me its like a new phone all over again once you update

now when will sprint update

when all the posers who want the lastest and greatest run out and get their new LTE phone with ice ceam and no 4g,losers

oh yeah and all the people who are frustrated on waiting for spring to update and they never didnt.

paintence is a virtue, next group of posers,  so yes youll be stuck with an older phone, but a older phone running the lates software and still have 4g, and if you rooted have free tethering, for you non techy's thats a free wifi hotspot.

hae having an old phone, iphone userrs do it, they have old iphone 3gs but with new io5 on it, if they can do it so can you

i like sprint, been with them for years, best hands down deal, sahdy at times but i love em.

im not going anywhere, but you got to get the most for your money,a dn right now there the best out there

p.s. if you have a htc evo 4g great phone, it runs good on ice cream ive seen it

well actually its cynogen, but its still a great phone. my suggestion get the photon, htec evo 3d, update then ride out until the end of 2013 that when LTE might be ready.

oh yeah if you dont have 4g in your area now, dont think youll be getting lte

Ok im done venting, just finished rooting my friends htc evo 3d, hes happy, he was about to trade it in for the new HTC evo lte, until i pimp slapped him

no hes all giddy and happy like a school girl over his new phone.   damn.... he just hit me

he likes his phone now, he jsut afraid to admit it

p.s.s. i posted on the forums where to get your phone updated to icecream, my suggestion though, dont wait on sprint, root and flash the rom

you wait on sprint you will be frustrated, and you might block access to future rooting. Htc lets you root, sprint doenst want you to

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
GrandMaster

either way even if the 800 rolls out none of the current LTE phones can use it.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello Fireguy_6364, so far from what I understand 3G voice, and EVDO data will be available in the 800 MHz band, and the Evo 4G LTE can use bands within 800, 850, and 1900. I'm working with a few people to confirm that LTE will or will not be available outside of 1900 MHz.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
GrandMaster

voice yes...but the LTE side it has been a no go so far. the s4 chip is able to...but everything that has been pointed out info wise says that unless a update is able to push this the phones wont be able to use it. LTE 800 isnt supposed to be pushed out for a long while down the road. i'll see if i can locate which thread/blog it was in..im thinking wingland was the one that posted about it..could be wrong though on who posted it.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am leaning towards Cyanogen. As far as I am concerned, if I choose to upgrade, Sprint owes me a $240 bill credit to make up for their disingenous assertions about 4G. The 3G service here sucks and has since the first day I got my OG EVO. I have never been able to watch any streaming video, and if a web page has any graphics I could die of stravation before it finishes loading. Forget following links from Twitter. Theres 4G in Cincinnatti and Columbus but not here. So since Sprint has switched to LTE I expect to never see 4G on Sprint in Dayton. Verizon and ATT have 4G here, so where is Sprint? I stayed with my Win mobile 5 (which i flashed to 6) phone for many years after the contract was over waiting for something better; as for hardware EVO was it, but I was and am sadly dissappointed that Sprint has abandonded it loyal customers (over 8 years with Sprint) to the hype of marketing without substance, which many would call lies. Anyway what good is better hardware without the service to make it sing? Looks like it time to learn to flash Android, and settle in for another few years of waiting. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

fireguy_6364 wrote:

either way even if the 800 rolls out none of the current LTE phones can use it.

I hear you fireguy, but honestly by the time they shut down iden and roll out LTE on the 800 bandwidth I'll be due for another upgrade and as I mentioned before I'm a technology tramp...I've learned that 2.5 years is about the max I can handle as technology updates so often in the cell phone world.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

same here. it wont be out for a LONG while..odds are it will be out after they shut down 4G wimax. lol...im still rolling my well worn OG EVO...still running like a champ..i'll be snagging the EVO LTE in maybe a month or so once i browse the forums enough to know its quirks and issues. so far its doing well for a just out phone..usually those forums are blowing up with issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yep fireguy they just announced iden shutdown for June 30, 2013...so you can add at least a year to that for rollout on the new spectrum (probably longer).  The good news?  If you can deal with Sprint for a few more years they're gonna have one helluva LTE network broadcasting at the 800 band...let's hope they make it there...

Highlighted
GrandMaster

would be pretty awesome...as is i'll be dancing a jig once they finaly do the upgrades on the towers around me...i can throw a rock at the one nearest me yet i can barely pull 200kbps...maybe 3 rock throws...either way its still pretty darn close..i just want to be at the point where i can watch some netflix while im on my lunch break

Highlighted
Journeyman

Personally I got the EVO 4g when it came out not so much for the 4g WiMax which was not available yet in my area but just simply because it was the best phone out there at the time. So now the S3 is hitting the street which again is the best phone available to me IMO and LTE is not available yet. WiMax and LTE are not needed when I spend the majority of time around WiFi I can easily connect to I doubt I've connected my 4g more than 50 times since I have had my EVO 4g over the past 2 years. I'm sure this goes for a lot of people as well if you are in a bigger city nearly every place has a public WiFi network if you are not at home or work on private ones.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

same...if i were to guess i have probably used 4G maybe 5 times since i have owed my OG EVO....didnt really matter how strong my reception was it still drained my battery pretty bad...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is there any type of definable roadmap with set dates? The links provided are very vague as to when LTE upgrades in my area will occur.

I would like to upgrade to an s3 or Nexus, but I will not accept being stuck on 3g speeds, at less than 200kbs and pings of over 2700ms, for multiple years. And pay $10 for the priveledge of only having slow 3g speeds for an undeterminable amount of time.

Anywhere you can point us to specific dates of completion that are official and not 3rd party?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Exactly what I'm thinking. Most of the hardware advances on these new phones are being made to compliment faster internet service. For example faster loading of web pages, quicker app performance (most are internet reliant) etc. I would want an LTE phone to take advantage of all of these things, but to be bogged down with a 3g connection that is running at the same speed as I was getting from Tmobile almost 10 years ago is crazy. To say that everyone should update because the hardware is so much better is ridiculous. Without a decent internet connection what good is it?

Here in New England we have a decent Wimax network, but I can't see upgrading to a new phone on Sprint any time soon if I won't be able to pull in Wimax any longer. And the thing that really angers me is that they want $10 a month, for crappy mid-2000s data speeds, and can't even give us a solid timeline for upgrades. If it were to happen in the next couple of months I may stick with Sprint, but who knows they could delay it until next year and I am stuck with a new phone that won't even be able to access the Wimax network. Most days I can't even access the Play store because the 3g is so slow. It just times out.

I am finding fewer reasons to stay with Sprint each day. Sorry for the rant!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat