cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which phone? Should I wait?

Journeyman

Which phone? Should I wait?

I have had my HTC Evo 4G since day 1 when it came out 2 summers ago and my plan recently expired and allows me to upgradee with a new 2 year plan. However, I have been looking at some of the phones out now and none of them seem that much better than the Evo 4g. I was thinking about getting an Iphone 4s but they are $300 with a new plan and I would prefer to wait for the iphone 5 to come out if that is coming soon. I was just curious if y'all had heard of any phones that were supposed to be coming out this upcoming summer or sometime soon. The only thing wrong with my evo is some of the pixels on the screen are going out so it has green dots and lines on the bottom of it but besides that I could hold on to it for a while if I needed to wait.

22 REPLIES 22
Wizard

Re: Which phone? Should I wait?

iPhone 5 may be nothing more than LTE, "maybe" a slightly larger screen, and a new form factor and case materials (and some unknown new feature). So it will look different and maybe cost $299.

My guess is after the new construction, the most notable change will be iOS 6. But this will work fine in the iPhone 4S. Yet, no one knows when that software will be released either.

Waiting for LTE in your neighborhood will be like watching paint dry. You want a new phone? Get it now. You won't get your hands on an iPhone 5 for, what, 7 months? That's an eternity.

Journeyman

Don't wait, I got the 4S 16G and it is excellent and worth the $199....or wait another year at least for the I-5....

Journeyman

I have heard rumors that the iphone wasn't working very well on sprint with like service and connection, has it gotten any better yet? Are their any other phones out for sprint besides the iphone 4s that have any kind of new technology? Seems like the phones haven't changed much since I got my evo 2 years ago. I remember waiting on the evo to come out and it was supposed to be the latest greatest thing. does anyone know if anything cool that might be coming out soon that would be worth waiting for?

Journeyman

I've had iphones and androids.  Coming from the Evo (which I too use), you probably don't want to go to the apple way of life.  I know I wouldn't, too many restrictions and too little functionality and control on an apple product vs. the Android.  Plus new Android phones should have the Ice Cream Sandwich operating system which is here today, not some imaginary apple system that might appear in the future.  Look at what good all that waiting and anticipation did for those who wanted the barely improved new Ipad 3.  Wait until tomorrow and then decide. http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/3/2921958/htc-evo-one-revealed-sprint-announcement-coming. Ultimately, it comes down to closed operating system or open operating system and your preferences.

honda_400ex13 wrote:

I have had my HTC Evo 4G since day 1 when it came out 2 summers ago and my plan recently expired and allows me to upgradee with a new 2 year plan. However, I have been looking at some of the phones out now and none of them seem that much better than the Evo 4g. I was thinking about getting an Iphone 4s but they are $300 with a new plan and I would prefer to wait for the iphone 5 to come out if that is coming soon. I was just curious if y'all had heard of any phones that were supposed to be coming out this upcoming summer or sometime soon. The only thing wrong with my evo is some of the pixels on the screen are going out so it has green dots and lines on the bottom of it but besides that I could hold on to it for a while if I needed to wait.

How about Samsung Galaxy S™ ll, Epic™ 4G Touch.<<This one is a lot more better then Evo 4g. I am waiting for samsung galaxy note for which I hope comes out after I found a job.

Journeyman

I have the Galaxy S and am now eligibel for an upgrade. I went into Sprint to get the iPhone, but left without it because I saw the Galaxy II and was very impressed. Larger than the iPhone but thinner and lighter (i'm sure not as durable), but screen was amazing and I've always loved the camera and graphics of the original Galaxy but disapointed at how the screen will use up the battery unless you turn down the brightness. I'm told the galaxy II battery is the best available now and lasts much longer than iPhone. So I'm undecided now. Whatever I do requires a 2 year contract. Go with a proven winner IPhone, or give android another shot? I love the Galaxy has removable media. I hate Apple for making that an impossibility.

Any suggestions? Should I wait?

Wizard

Fitts 1932,

This is a tough decision. Both devices offer a lot of value for their respective operating systems. It should really depend on what your needs are. Just keep in mind that the Galaxy II is an open concept device and can offer a little more in way of programs/apps that are free and we also have a new line up of Android devices coming out this year along with the launch of LTE in certain markets to be continued through the year.

Markie_B

Journeyman

You ask the same question I ask. My Evo 4G is two years old and it's time for a new phone.

I came here looking for either a Galaxy Note or a release date for the Galaxy S3.

Instead I find that the best Sprint has is the Galaxy S2 and that is it! No choice whatsoever.

Can someone please let me know when Sprint will get a current model phone.

Do I tough it out with my Evo for a few months in hopes the Note shows up or do I start looking for a more up-to-date phone company?

Wizard

PastorVor2,

Here is a link that introduces 3 new devices (2 phone 1 hotspot) that are launching soon.

http://www.sprint.com/landings/lte/index.html?INTCID=AB:ACAA:HERO:010912:GalaxyNexusPrelaunch:960x32...

Markie_B

Highlighted
Wizard

I'm in the same boat with an aging Evo, but I say wait at least until June.  I think the market is getting ready to explode wtih the next generation of LTE devices starting with this afternoon's HTC/Sprint event.  I saw a rumor yesterday that the iPhone 5 may be out in June.  Even if that's wrong, it should be no later than Oct. 

Journeyman

Thanks for the link... Wow, those phones are dissapointing, to say the least.

The best of the lot is the Nexus? How long has that been out? 6 months?

Yeah, I guess I'll give it a month or so, but not much more. I'm already dissapointed in the so-called "discount" Sprint has offered me. The same "discount" I would have gotten if I were a new customer. (in otherwords, no discount at all)

I spent a year on Wimax without ever getting a signal. Paid $10 extra for that priveledge.

The only thing that is good about sprint is the unlimited data. Otherwise it's adequate. I wouldn't complain, but they just don't seem forward thinking enough.

I'm going to look at this new thing called https://ting.com/ ... I'll see what it looks like.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat