cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which phone? Should I wait?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Which phone? Should I wait?

I have had my HTC Evo 4G since day 1 when it came out 2 summers ago and my plan recently expired and allows me to upgradee with a new 2 year plan. However, I have been looking at some of the phones out now and none of them seem that much better than the Evo 4g. I was thinking about getting an Iphone 4s but they are $300 with a new plan and I would prefer to wait for the iphone 5 to come out if that is coming soon. I was just curious if y'all had heard of any phones that were supposed to be coming out this upcoming summer or sometime soon. The only thing wrong with my evo is some of the pixels on the screen are going out so it has green dots and lines on the bottom of it but besides that I could hold on to it for a while if I needed to wait.

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Wizard

In my opinion I think anyone looking to update or purchase a phone should make sure they do plenty of research before hand, think long and hard about what's most important to you on a phone and what functionality you depend on most. For example if you're only looking for texting and browsing the web a lower end smartphone would be perfect for you, if you're wanting to download applications and do a little mobile gaming you may need a more high-end smartphone with the hardware to support it. The more educated you are about the device you're looking at purchasing the better chance you have of being satisfied and knowing what to expect. I can tell you that there's no perfect device on the market; every device regardless of carrier, manufacturer, OS, etc. will have it's flaws and software bugs.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just gotta throw my $.02 in this discussion.  Why would anybody buy a Sprint phone right now?  They are behind the game for one reason, 4G LTE.  If I was OP I would wait a few months (that's what I'm doing) to see how their new 4G LTE lineup pans out.  LTE is the future, I wouldn't buy a wiimax phone right now, that's bad advice...it will not continue to be supported regardless of what Sprint says.  And you will always be limited by the 3G network if you go with iPhone, so if you want 2 more years of slow data go ahead, but my suggestion is wait for an LTE device so that you are future proof.

Highlighted
Wizard

PastorVor2, I wanted to let you know that we have the same top of the line Motorola Photon that Ting offers. Check it out!

Highlighted
GrandMaster

you hit it there. adding on. if youre currently in a area with wimax then i would for sure hold off until you have the LTE in your area before upgrading. if not then you have a new cool phone that can handle 4G LTE...which you dont have yet...but it cant use 4G wimax...which you already have but now cant use.

im jumping up to the EVO 4G LTE for the simple fact that it uses the current 3G network...and i dont have wimax in my area...so its not bothering me much..only time i see it is when i travel for training. which even then i dont really use it since im on the outskirts of it and it drains my battery like crazy

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Thank you for all the replies, this post has got me thinking about switching away from Sprint. They used to be awesome, but have slowly gotten worse and worse over the years. I hear many complains about AT&T dropping calls and getting bad service but what about Verizon? I have heard many people say that they like Verizon but I have the unlimited data plan on Sprint and I don't think Verizon has anything like that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So, after checking the HTC EVO 4G LTE phone out I think I have decided to wait for the Galaxy SIII. It seems like a much better phone that will stay "current" for much longer than the EVO 4G LTE.

I looked at that Photon phone offered by Ting and I just don't think that phone does it for me. If I went to Ting I would bring my Original EVO 4G with me.

Highlighted

I agree with you pastor. if you are going  to compare the s2 from the new evo 4g lte, there is only a slight difference between the two phones meaning, when the s3 is out, obviously, it is going to be much better than the evo 4g lte.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

hopefully...samsung and motorola dont exactly have a great record with putting the latest and greatest into their new phones. old version chips..radios..etc.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

I hope they'll(samsung) live up my expectations. 😃

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Which phone? Should I wait?

Thanks for the link... Wow, those phones are dissapointing, to say the least.

The best of the lot is the Nexus? How long has that been out? 6 months?

Yeah, I guess I'll give it a month or so, but not much more. I'm already dissapointed in the so-called "discount" Sprint has offered me. The same "discount" I would have gotten if I were a new customer. (in otherwords, no discount at all)

I spent a year on Wimax without ever getting a signal. Paid $10 extra for that priveledge.

The only thing that is good about sprint is the unlimited data. Otherwise it's adequate. I wouldn't complain, but they just don't seem forward thinking enough.

I'm going to look at this new thing called https://ting.com/ ... I'll see what it looks like.

The EVO One X 4G LTE will be a future proof phone. It will have HD voice and LTE. I am not sure the Samsung will have HD voice capabilities. The SG III should be stellar, and then the Galaxy Nexus  future phone should even be better. You will have to wait to years end to get the best phone if you dare!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well Honda, I'm not so sure about switching carriers...I've had them all, and the grass isn't any greener.  Sprint's data services sucks, no doubt about it, but they're trying to get caught up or will go broke in the attempt.  If you think Sprint nickle and dimes customers you ain't seen nothing when compared to big red and at&t.  If you have bottomless pockets it could be worth the switch, but I'm a penny pincher and I'm patient.  I can wait for Sprint to get there act together, that said I completely understand others reluctance.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat