cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't i move apps to the sd card on my Galaxy s3???

Journeyman

Re: Why can't i move apps to the sd card on my Galaxy s3???

Backup your apps with Go Backup to you SD Card.. Very easy to use. Install Go backup on the S3 and restore. You will probably have to the same google play account on both phones.

GrandMaster

no. the maker of the apps will have to update them to be allowed to move to the sd card. same as they did when Gingerbread came out...and the same when Froyo came out..they just have to update them on their side to allow this. usually these are out within a few weeks...usually..some are a lil behind on the times..

fsxdfsfs wrote:

So, only apps designed for ICS can be moved to SD?   Makes me glad I ordered the 32GB version.. I have a lot of apps that I don't intend to update due to bloat, permissions, unwanted features, etc.

I hope I can still back them up and sideload them to the GX3 when it arrives (Still no ship info on blue/32 preorder)

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

It's not possible to move apps to be installed on the SD Card on the Galaxy SIII. Hopefully they'll change this, because I'm one of the people that got the 16g version instead of 32g, thinking I can always just get a bigger SD card if I need to.

There are a lot of things floating around about whether it's a Samsung thing on this phone specifically, Google Play Store thing, or an ICS thing. I haven't found any confirmed official info yet on which it actually is.

Third party apps designed to let you do this do not seem to work. The option simply isn't available. It shows me a list of my apps that are set to be movable by the authors (which do not use widgets, etc.), but when I try to actually do it, the option is missing, even with the 3rd party "move to SD card" apps.

GrandMaster

NONE of the apps are movable to the sd card? when you go in to manage applications chose the one for your sd card (not sure if theyre still calling it sd card or something else). does it show a list of apps in there with a check box next to them?

if SOME apps are able to be moved over yet others arent then im guessing the ones that cant havent been updated to allow it with ICS yet.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

ZERO apps are movable to the SD card at this time, even if you try to use a 3rd party app from the play store to do it.

The option is completely missing and it's been confirmed on several sites that it's not possible at this time. The only thing in question is WHY we aren't allowed to do it and if they're going to change it to allow us to.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same problem, I thought this was one of the features of this phone that made it better than the HTC ONE X, was the ability to have an external SD card, what good is it , if you can't store apps on it? Most Pictures can be saved in a "Cloud" database for online use. It is only useful to me if I can store some of my apps on the micro SD card. I hope they resolve this issue, if not, my great experience with this phone so far will be taken down several notches. I like many others, am so glad I purchased the 32 GB version!!

Journeyman

After playing around with the phone for 2weeks I finally figured it out.  You have to go to the app screen, look for my files.. You should see sd and ext sd card. On the sd card find  the file that you want to move. select move then go to ext sd and make a new folder the select done and the app will be moved from sd to ext sd on phone

Journeyman

Anyone can move files to an SD card. We're talking about having an app installed on the SD card like on previous Galaxy phones. If you go in and start just moving files around that apps need, some won't work anymore. You're not actually moving the installation. Just like on a Windows PC, you can't just "move" an installed program by moving the files.

Journeyman

i 've had the whole app included program on my phone before...so is it that ics doesn't allow that movement anymore or does the app maker have to update the app for ics to be able to move to the sd card?

Journeyman

usually it would say under the app ...move to sd but that's not there anymore on here...so how do you do it?

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.