cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is ATT getting all the cool phones?

20 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Why is ATT getting all the cool phones?

I've never heard of a iOS device needing to be taken into the store for a simple lock up that can be fixed by a power cycle. I've had my ipads and ipod touch lock up many times and I've messed around with jailbreaking a lot to put them in some crazy states that normal uses would never put them in. A hardware reset has never failed.

Android phones that have removeable batteries either don't have the hardware design to be reset by the power button, or people simply say to pull the battery because it's a faster process than waiting 15 seconds for a reset to occur. It's not because it couldn't be made possible to force a reset without pulling the battery.

With the One X if you hold the power button you will get the standard "Power Off / Airplane Mode / Reset" screen, if you continue to hold it you will be warned that the device will shut off in X Seconds. This software warning is not what will trigger the phone to reset; hardware will reset the device. The screen is just a warning that if you continue to hold the button hardware will be taking over and resetting the device without your confirmation.

I am an old die hard. My first phone was an HTC Apache. Its existed long before the term "smartphone" and at a time when touch-screen phones were still considered as futuristic by most people.

GrandMaster

eh..either way we will have to see how it works out. i have seen/heard of a handful of iphones that locked up and not even the power cycle could be recgnized..no true issue with the phone..wasnt junked...a trip to the repair store fixed the issue..plus in the threads how many times have you seen a android phone locked up and needing a battery pull since nothing was responsive? more often than i would like to count.

the old die hards never really trust the newer set ups of phones until they have been proven to work and not cause MORE issues lol.

Journeyman

When the device software is fully locked up, you can hold the power button until a reset occurs. The only way a power button should cease working is if there is a hardware failure and it's physically broken. Even if the software is not responsive, power buttons are still hardware. They don't rely on the software to be running to force a reset to occur. It's similar to how iOS devices would handle this issue, they never go into a fully locked up state that requires the battery to be disconnected. Unless you're talking about a full lock up as in the device is bricked, then there is physical damage to the device and it needs to be replaced. Even pulling the battery in such a case wouldn't help.

GrandMaster

no youre not reading it right lol. point of my original post was to say were getting the EVO 4G LTE.. only reason i brought up the rezound was because for verizons side that was the closest phone to compare for each carrier. older version but again..closest i could find.

odds are im still getting this phone..only thing keeping me on the fence is that non removable battery..besides the fact that most people like to upgrade into a larger battery or keep a spare around...i have yet to see any phone that doesnt need a random battery pull..true they have a certain button sequence that you hold to do this..but what happens when the phone is FULLY locked up and NONE of the buttons work? trip to a repair store?

Journeyman

The Rezound is apart of HTC's last generation of phones and is vastly different from both the One X and the EVO 4G LTE, so I'm removing it from this discussion.

I'm confused about your last line. You state it as if the EVO 4G LTE isn't a better phone than the One X and that it's a shame that Sprint won't be getting the One X. Am I reading that right?

The EVO 4G LTE is the exact same thing as the One X except for the EVO 4G LTE has a bigger battery, kickstand, and expansive memory. When comparing what AT&T will get with the One X and what Sprint will be getting with the EVO 4G LTE, Sprint is getting the better phone. They have the exact same CPU, camera(s), screen, software/OS.

I understand this post started before the EVO 4G LTE was announced, but now that it has been announced, we know that Sprint is basically getting the best known version of the One X.

GrandMaster

IndieArmy wrote:

Go ahead and did a little deeper yourself sport. If you couldn't discover that the Rezound has an outdated S3 chip and the EVO 4G LTE has the new S4, then I find it hard to believe you've even begun to research this.

Not to mention they aren't even the same screen size, the EVO 4G LTE has a much better camera with 5-stage LED flash and a brand new image processor, kickstand, comes with ICS and Sense 4.0, Gorilla Glass 2, a larger battery, and it's about 5mm thinner.

dig a lil deeper sport..each carrier will have small changes on how they want the phone..aside from that theyre pretty much the same phone. not to mention the version SPRINT is getting is the HTC EVO LTE...ignorance is bliss

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news/htc-evo-4g-lte-fact-sheet.htm

difference between the rezound and the EVO LTE? only thing that sticks out so far is the rezound will come with a sd card..the EVO LTE will not.

**i did however miss the part on the processor. bigger battery yes..but not to happy about not being able to put a larger one in..non removable.

either way sprint wont be getting the X ONE...just the EVO 4G LTE. which was the whole point of the post.

Journeyman

Go ahead and did a little deeper yourself sport. If you couldn't discover that the Rezound has an outdated S3 chip and the EVO 4G LTE has the new S4, then I find it hard to believe you've even begun to research this.

Not to mention they aren't even the same screen size, the EVO 4G LTE has a much better camera with 5-stage LED flash and a brand new image processor, kickstand, comes with ICS and Sense 4.0, Gorilla Glass 2, a larger battery, and it's about 5mm thinner.

GrandMaster

dig a lil deeper sport..each carrier will have small changes on how they want the phone..aside from that theyre pretty much the same phone. not to mention the version SPRINT is getting is the HTC EVO LTE...ignorance is bliss

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news/htc-evo-4g-lte-fact-sheet.htm

difference between the rezound and the EVO LTE? only thing that sticks out so far is the rezound will come with a sd card..the EVO LTE will not.

Journeyman

It's obvious that you know nothing about these phones. Stop trolling man. Just by looking at the phones, you'll know that they are different.

GrandMaster

HTC EVO 4G LTE*

One X=AT&T

Rezound=verizon

just about the same phone...just different names.