cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Phone 8 in March?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Windows Phone 8 in March?

Take this for what it's worth, but a manager at the Sprint store in Jordan Creek Mall (Des Moines) said that Sprint had hoped to have the Windows Phone 8 in February, but it got pushed back to March and seems to be on schedule.  His words.  Hope that rings true.

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Journeyman

I think it's ridiculous, that Sprint customers have had to wait SO LONG for Windows Phones, especially when other carriers have had them for quite some time! I am ready to join other EX-Sprint customers and take my business to one of the other carriers!! There is no excuse, other than Sprint "Dropped the ball" on this issue. For a company, who normally is on top of the cutting edge, of cell phone technology, to have fallen so far behind the competitors, is unacceptable to loyal customers. Also, their upgrade prices, as opposed to "New Customer" prices, is a slap in the face to those of us, who have stayed with Sprint!! I just seen the new HTC One, and the "Upgrade price", what a joke!! I can't blame all of the people who have left for other ventures, due to Sprint's failure to keep up with industry!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also want to reply to the Sprint reps, who keep blowing smoke to people on here. I agree, this is bullsh*t, no one can give any information regarding these low-to-mid level Windows phones. You wonder why people are p*ssed off, why people have swithced to others carriers, why people get fed up with being strung along. I think it is way past time, for someone, higher than a rep, to inform customers, just what is going on, how much longer are people going to have to wait??? Quit having little ole reps come on here to tell people a bunch of hogwash! Or, do you not care about losing customers to the competitors??

Highlighted
Journeyman

I tried purchasing the Samsung ATIV S unlocked from a 3rd party site when it launched late last year.  it arrived, called sprint to activate it, but it turns out it was a GSM only phone, so it had to go back. the specs on the 3rd party site were misleading as they had the data frequencies listed looking like CDMA frequencies and i read it as it was a Global/World phone (GSM/CDMA).  apparently now that sprint is going to carry it, there must be a CDMA version now (yay!).  It was an awesome phone for the day i had it (screen size, app performance were amazing!).

I certainly won't look at that phone as "low or mid".  Yes, i'd like to see a Nokia offerd too, but i'll go for the Samsung.

When can we make pre-orders?

Kevin

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Kevin - that is correct.  I think the Samsung ATIV S is being confused with the Samsung ATIV Odyssey.  By all accounts, the Odyssey was the mid range one and the ATIV S was the high end phone.  So the Samsung should be a high end phone.  Here is the troubling part however.  I read about the ATIV S 6 months ago in multiple places including the Samsung website.  So that means once again we are getting 6 month old technology.  Meanwhile Verizon (who already has 2 windows 8 phones) is getting the Nokia 928 which is NEW hardware and is actually a little better than the Nokia 920 based on what is known.  So why are we getting 6 month old technology?  Also, why is it still impossible to get a straight answer from Sprint.  I think they think they are builing up anticipation and are going to have a big reveal and everybody is going to be happy.  In reality they are clueless to the fact that they are pissing off a good percentage of their customers and when they have their big reveal we are all going to be disappointed by the lackluster old hardware.  I am definitely going to AT&T tomorrow to check out the 920 and their plans.  Not decided about leaving yet (Although Sprint has given me pretty much no reason to stay), but need to see what my options are.  Will have to check out Verizon too now that they are getting the 928.

Highlighted
Journeyman

While I strongly agree that Sprint's history of being mysterious about release dates is perplexing, I think the concerns expressed in this thread are a minority opinion and that any company would be foolish to pin much hope on a mobile OS that has less than 5% of the marketshare with little hope of gaining more.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1325151-windows-phone-s-uphill-battle-in-the-u-s?source=google_news

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, that is valid based on a snaphot in time...  Windows Phone 7 didnt do well because the carriers tripped over themselves to sell Androids and Apples.  When people asked for windows the sales people tried hard to get them to buy an EVO or iPhone.  (Sprint paid billions to Apple so they could sell iPhone and it did almost nothing for their customer base.  They were too late to the iPhone boat.  Windows 8 Phone has been slow getting out the door in terms of availability (case in point, still not available at Sprint), but there are more now and there are several more being released in the next month or so, giving them a bigger presence of choice than WP7 ever had.  Even Sprint will be offering 2 (someday) where in the past they offered only one.  Also, the article notes that the numbers are growing but doesnt give it much credit.  Combine groing numbers with what I just said about more availability and I think those numbers will grow more.  If they dont, then people deserve the garbage they get because Windows Phone is so much better than either Android or iPhone that it pains me.  Then there is always "Microsoft is late to the game"  Which is complete BS because Microsoft had windows smartphones long before there was an iPhone and much longer than there was Android.  People are starting to notice Windows Phone.  Why, because it looks incredible, not like the iPhone user interface which has not changed really since day one or like Android's chaos approach to user interfaces (as in there is none).  I know people who have recently dumped their iPhones and Androids for Windows and they love them.  8 years ago Windows probably had 90% of the smartphone market, so clearly positions can change and they can change again and again.  Actually, people should want other systems to do well because without competition you get stagnation.  Anyway, you should never completely ignore an entire segment of your customer base, whether it is 1% 5% 10% or 50%.  Everytime you ignore them you lose more and more customers.  Besides, we arent even asking them to change their plans or anything radical, all we are asking for is information.  Simple information.  When will Windows Phone be available on Sprint and what are the models and specs that will be available?  Realistically I think we would be happy with just knowing the date.  So why not throw us a line and make us happy instead of alienating more and more customers?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree.  I am so tired of checking the website and not finding any new information.  I have 2 Arrives to replace and am getting very impatient.  My phone still works fine, but my husband's has been through a war and is on its last legs.  Just want to know what and when.  The longer they wait, the more I fear they will change their minds.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat