cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

about that update

Journeyman

about that update

When are we going to be getting this supposed update to help with the battery and LTE, etc? It's on third party sites and sprint has mentioned it. But there's no ETA. At this point, it feels more like a pacifying tactic than an actual solution.

13 REPLIES 13
Wizard

Re: about that update

Probably a toss up between order of "fixes"/updates to do.  Sprint devices NEED the connectivity update but ALL devices will be getting whatever the battery fix is and then ALL of the devices also will be getting 5.1.x as well.  5.1.x has been in testing for over a month and then throw in the other stuff and bug fixes from that and it gets even messier. Should be interesting to see what we end up in our Sprint mixed bag of HTC treats, that's for sure.

ETA's are usually given when they can be held to so I'm sure we'll get it when whatever update we're to get starts rolling to devices.

Journeyman

Forget minor updates...5.1 is already out for many devices including (obviously) the Nexus but even Moto has it. Maybe we get lucky and HTC/Sprint are just rolling all the updates into one. LOL like that has a snowballs chance.

I long for the day when carrier specific bloat is a thing of the past and all devices can be updated at the same time.

And don't get me started on when we might actually see M...my guess is the M9 will no longer be the current flagship when that finally happens.

Journeyman

I'm actually considering flashing Viper ROM (currently run Bad Boyz) because the Dev has it updated with the new int'l firmware that includes the camera/battery fixes and it's ported for all variants. I believe the radio is unchanged for the US carriers so that won't alleviate the main issues we have.

Just gotta find time to nandroid and reflash/re-setup...hopefully this weekend.

Unrooted users won't be able to enjoy the goodness though.

Wizard

I know we're all still waiting but lets look on the bright side, we have HTC devices! This means, they are FIRST to guarantee (and standby with the M7 L update) 2yr of OS support with updates, first as in, Google is the 2nd (from what I understand) to offer this with the new Nexus devices rolling out this year.  Also, HTC (B) has the best track record/grade currently for updates behind Google (A) and the others (D+) in that department (look here for report card >>>> Android upgrade report card: Grading the manufacturers on Lollipop | Computerworld)

With that said, crappy connectivity and all, lack of continued information (we were told we'll get an update and from a business stand point, that is what they commit to and will not commit to something else, timeline in particular, that they cannot guarantee) from our network of choice, we need to try to find the silver lining.  If you can't use your phone at all, well, I think Sprint will take care of you (I can't image they just leave you twisting in the wind) but with all things YMMV.

It bums me out that we're still dealing with it but there is a good reason we don't have a MR right now, so I'm really hoping that when we do get it, it'll have all the goodies baked in.

Journeyman

Yeah HTC is usually good about updates, but this is taking way too long with Sprint. Plus just saw TMO rolled out 5.1 to the S6 this morning.

Wizard

1st, HTC + M9 > Sammy + S6  (5.1 don't make it better, I don't care! Lol)

2nd, I heard from a wild bird, (yes, it was wild not a house bird) that our 5.1 is being tested for awhile. There were some features that HTC adapted Sense 7 to work with L that where broken from the 5.1 update so HTC has to do some work to "re-fix" things for us.

I can't wait for update, but I like having some confidence in the fact that the update should be a clean one, not riddled with new issues for us to sort through.

Journeyman

Whenever and whatever hits I'm waiting for Bad Boyz to vet it first and work out the bugs.

I see there're already complaints about the 5.1.1 update for the S6 on TMO breaking stuff so there's that....

GrandMaster

when AREN'T there any complaints about a update borking up someones device? lol.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Most people have no idea how to use their phones. An update from Kitkat to lollipop and they complain their phone is slow when it is still running apps suited for dalvik when the OS is using ART.

Journeyman

Yep and it's why so many people still love the iPhone...reminds me of the Popeil "set it and forget it" commercials. They just want something that pretty much works as expected right out of the box and problems like we have with the M9 and S6 just lead more to jump ship. I know many who bailed on Android after the Evo 4GLTE issues that are remarkably similar to what we have with the M9 now.

GrandMaster

agreed..its the never ending circle of smart phone life..people have been complaining since the release of the first smart phone lol.

wait..what do you mean it wont walk my dog and ground my kids for me? whats the point of having a smart phone then? dang carrier probably took those abilities away to force me to get a newer phone..criminals

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat