cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Issues - Data, Network, Calls

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone Issues - Data, Network, Calls

I have been a loyal Apple supporter since 2008, i have had 2 MacBooks, an iPad, countless iPods and when I was eligible for an upgrade with Sprint, an iPhone 5. My experience so far with iPhone has been terrible!

I bought the phone in October 2012. I started to have data connectivity issues. I made an Apple Store appointment and they reset the network connections and told me to see how that goes. I still had issues, so i called AppleCare this time and they had me reset the phone and see how it goes. I still had issues. FInally on 12/7, I called AppleCare and after being passed around to various techs and having to explain my situation a number of times, they made me an appointment to go to the AppleStore on Sunday 12/9. The tech (Employee 1455299836) at the Apple Store read the notes and saw what was going on and replaced my phone.

I get home on 12/9 and go to place a phone call, the speaker in the ear piece was vibrating and causing a buzzing/rattling, I called AppleCare and they immediately told me I needed to go to the Apple store to get the phone looked at. On 12/11, I go to the Apple Store, the tech  (Employee 281556102) replicates the issue and replaces my phone.

NOT more then 2 hours later, i am having data issues, I cannot connect via cellular data and I never get 3G. I get an error message saying that the phone cannot connect to the cellular network. So i decide to call Sprint to get help. They do some troubleshooting with me over the phone, more like they hang up, I do the troubleshooting and then they call back, because the iPhone is my only phone. After troubleshoot over the phone, I go to a physical Sprint Corporate store. They continue troubleshooting with me, and they replicate the same issues I was having in store. Unfortunately they cannot do replacements for the iPhone in store so I had to make yet another trip to the Apple Store.

I go in without making an appointment and go right to the Genius Bar scheduler, they get me a spot and I wait. About 10-15 minutes later, a tech (Employee 1178201707) comes to help me and I explain the issue. He says he has seen this before with Sprint phones and then asks me what I want to do. My first thought was to tell the man I want a working phone, but I thought that would be OBVIOUS! So he does some more things on the phone and says we can replace it again. He goes to the back and gets what he needs and comes back out to set everything up. I set up the phone and the phone goes to activate, it take a few minutes to activate. Well the tech I was working with needed to go to lunch. So instead of waiting the 5 minutes to see if everything was okay, he passes me off to another tech and heads off to lunch, not before spend a few minutes talking to other employees along the way.

I get home and go to sync my iPhone to my computer, and cannot make calls (Error 16, Switch 621), I call Sprint, and they do the trouble shooting again. Yet again I have to reset my phone.  I can make calls but no data. They put in a network ticket and tell me they will call me in 72 hours.

I then connect my phone to mu computer again, and get an error that iTunes cannot read my phone and I need to reset it to factory settings. I do this through iTunes and it processes on the phone. Now the phone will not activate on the Sprint network. I have no phone or data. I had to go buy a Tracfone so I could reach someone in an emergency.

Any suggestions?

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Journeyman

Most likley a tower is down or someting of the sort. At the moment Sprint has many towers down in order to set up their LTE, and they are taking down their current sattelites to replace the, You should be getting 3G speeds but not super fast for the time being (the LTE is spreading rapidly!). I suggest you call the Sprint STORE and ask if they know of any tower problems.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been having issues with my iPhone since the day that the iPhone 5 was released. I have been with Sprint since 1998 and I think my time with them just might have to be coming to an end. I am walking around with a $600 paperweight and there is nothing that anyone can do to help. I have been to the Apple Store. They have replaced my phone. I have been on the phone for countless hours with Sprint and they have tried everything possible and nothing works. The problem is, and I got this information for a friend that worked at Apple, that Sprint and Apple technologies just don't work well together now. I guess the same thing happened when Verizon got the iphone. Everntually it worked itself out. But Verizon and Apple were far more compatible than Sprint and Apple are. So DO NOT expect some quick fix. We are talking 6 months to 2 years before the iphones actually work well on the Sprint Network. And it is not just because some towers are down and they are upgrading to 4g. That is not true. Don't believe that. That might be the reason for a few probably here and there for a little while, but it is not the issue that is causing my phone to not receive calls, texts, voicemails or anything else for that matter. Sprint is decommioning their Nextel services and switching Sprints 1900 bandwith to the Nextel 800 bandwith. They will help with some issues with calls. The lower the bandwith the better the penetration of the signal through walls, but even this is not going to help that fact that the iphone and Sprint just really aren't compatible at the moment. I wish they would have worked out their issues before they released a phone that they knew thousands of people would be purchacing. Instead they let all those people spend all the money on these new iphones and then lock them into two year contracts and then the are stuff. Can't get rid of the phone and can't get out of your contract without a HUGE cost. I am fed up. I have never been so disappointed in a company before. It isn't right and something needs to be done, but I (and it sounds like you and many many others) are just getting the run around.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Don't know why it posted that so many times. Another thing Sprint can't get right.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unfortunately Apple has most of the say on how the iPhone is to be dealt with in terms of coverage. AT&T was the original iPhone carrier, and will likly always be the best (in my region at least). I have a Samsung Note 2 and have been in other regions getting 4G and I am very satisfied with it. Sprint is expanding for sure, and now it is were they have dropped, but like all companies are going to rise again. Since much of the iPhone regulations strictly go to Apple I am not sure how to deal with your current situation. All I can say for sure is, Sprint is not going to fall anytime soon. I have fate that with their unlimited data plans, 4G LTE will become great for all users galore.

Highlighted
Journeyman

have you ever consider that you might be the problem, not sprint, not apple, just a thought

Highlighted
Journeyman

1) really? when the apple store and sprint reps can replicate the issues

2) and what could i be doing to cause this problem.

3) RUDE!

Highlighted
Wizard

Have you called into Apple Care to confirm that your device's IMEI has an activation policy on their end?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Have you ever consider how dumb a comment that is? Are you just a blog troll looking to stir up some trouble? These are real issues that thousands of people are experiencing. Not just me. Why don't you do your research before you make idiotic statements. And perhaps get a life.

Highlighted
Wizard

It has been a problem with prior customers. I am sorry that you feel that this may be a dumb comment, but others have benefited from this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry ky158151. That wasn't directed at you. It was to ecbarroga who made a stupid comment earlier. I will definitely take your advice. I will try anything to get the phone working.

Highlighted
Wizard

Oh, my apologies. Please contact Apple and confirm the activation policy. They will either tell you that they have to load it on their end or how to restore the iPhone via iTunes once the activation policy has been locked to Sprint.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat