cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nexus s vs first gen evo

Highlighted
Patron

nexus s vs first gen evo

Hi I've been having problems with nexus s and sprint has offered to replace it with a first generation evo.  How do they compare?  I wish I could just get another nexus but I guess they don't make them anymore.  I feel like the evo is a down grade.   Thoughts?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Wizard

Re: nexus s vs first gen evo

From a personal stance, I actually loved my first EVO, had it for over 18 months with minimal problems. I have attached a link that compares the phones side by side. With the EVO, you are getting a bigger screen, has a good feel in my opinion. One bad thing is that the EVO is at EOL with Sprint. Let me know if you have any more questions, thanks. 

http://phandroid.com/phones/compare/htc-evo-4g/vs/nexus-s

Master

The OEVO was a great phone, it is an older phone compared to the Nexus S but shouldn't be much different then the Nexus hardware wise. I say that because the Nexus S came out almost 18months after the OEVO yet still had similar hardware specs to the OEVO and in some cases less when you compare it to the camera. This was a complaint at the time. Probably the only thing I would want from the Nexus was the Internal Memory, some would alos argue the AMOLED screen as well, but that's a toss up for me. You do get an External Microcard slot for the OEVO which you will make use of in a hurry due to all the added OEM software resulting in running out of internal memory quite fast. This I believe may have been addressed though with one of the recent updates which gave the user the ability to remove these apps and free up some of that internal memory.

I know longer have the OEVO, so don't know this for sure. But I do know it was an issue for allot of users at the time.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Wizard

Great point bringing up the internal memory feature of the EVO as opposed to the Nexus.

GrandMaster

somehow the most recent update also freed up roughly 50mb of data...unknown from where though..

the one major thing between the two phones is one is a true google phone..the other is not..the nexus will get the OTA updates direct from google without any watering down..the EVO 4G gets the watered down versions of the updates.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Patron

That's what I'm really bummed about.  I bought the nexus s specifically because I wanted a direct line to google's updates.  Also I didn't want all of sprint's bloatware they force onto all their phones.  My nexus s that is on the fritz currently has android operating system 4.something and my friend's evo has 2.something.  I doubt it will be updating anytime soon with all the new phones out.  I was looking forward to jelly bean...

Master

50MB isn't much when you consider it started with 1GB and by the time the user gets the phone you got like 400mb left for your use. Disappears in a hurry as I recall. 

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Master

Yeah, there won't be any ICS let alone JB on the OEVO unless you Root it. Probably won;'t see any official updates anymore either, well maybe 1 or two more max but I wouldn't bet on it.

--

GrandMaster

figure it like this..with just over 400mb of usable space overall in the OEVO im still cruising just over 100mb of free space..with tons of apps and games. 50mb is quite a bit when you consider alot of people were running right at that 45mb marker that would put their phone into an alert and start turning certain abilities off..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

I was one of those people. 

I had everything possible moved to the SD Card just so I didn't have to uninstall anything. Yeah, 50mb is allot, but having the ability to remove the Sprint installed stuff would grant even more.

--

GrandMaster

im not quite sure it actually gets removed..i know it disables it..but thats about it..it no longer draws any memory for sure..that pesky telenav always restarting in the background but never ACTUALLY starting up is for sure a no longer lol..

Master

And you don't have to worry about being hounded about updates for those that you disable.  

--

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat