ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

used/refurb replacement phone?

Journeyman

My daughter just broke her phone and I am reluctant to buy her a new one.  We're on a Sprint Family "Everything Messaging 1500" plan.  She mostly uses text and usuallyt less than 100 minutes of air time per month.

Can I just buy a used/refurbished Sprint phone off the internet, say ebay?

How do I ensure the phone will work with Sprint?

How do I get them to activate the new phone?

Or is this all just a waste of time and I should buy it directly from Sprint?

Sorry for the newbie question.  I'm not really very sophisticated about these phones.  Thanks for your help.

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Journeyman

You should be able to buy a cheap phone off ebay.  But you always run the risk or it being stolen or some kind of issue when you get to the Sprint store.  I think the best thing to do if at all possible it try to buy a phone off someone from craigslist.  This way you can have them meet you at the sprint store and if everything is good (not stolen, not broken, a sprint phone) then you hand over the money after sprint has put it under that phone number.

Wizard

To add to KenDog210's comment, when buying a used phone off of sites like ebay or craigslist it is a good idea to get the serial number or ESN/MEID from the seller before committing to something. If they won't give you the serial number don't do business with them.

With the ESN/MEID you can call customer care or tech support and have them verify if it's clear for use and if it matches the device the seller is listing.

-Alec

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat