cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child Plans or Saftey Settings

Journeyman

Why is it Sprint is the only cell phone service still left without a plan for kids? Or more I should say setting you can adjust so that you can set for them for web and txtn and what nots.. I love my sprint plan otherwise, price is good and it provides everything i need. Just hate that i cannot get a plan for my kids because there isn't any monitoring type of thing. I almost bought my kid a att phone today but relized id pay 60$ a month for both talk, text and another 20$ for web. then 5$ for the service to monitor. If sprint would come up with a way to monitor and restrict for 5$ a month id pay it. Anyone else agree?

8 REPLIES

What phone would you like for your child? You can go to the Sprint Myaccount page and and go under limits and permission.

Master

Re: Child Plans or Saftey Settings

Parent82. Visit our site for more info on Sprint Mobile Controls where you can monitor and restrict  Voice/Data/Text on Sprint.Com(Sprint.Com>My Account>My Preferences>Block Voice/Text/Picture Mail/Data). URL http://mobilecontrols.sprint.com/welcome.htm

Thanks

Abe

Journeyman

I have done this already, but it isn't the same, there aren't any limits to set, no time lines. I can either block all incoming or outgoing, or have to add numbers to the block list everytime a new one calls. this is a hassle. Just making a point that they dont have the right security set up for childs phones.

Journeyman

I agree Parent82! This is the one thing that disappoints me with Sprint too. As far as the mobile controls Abe, they aren't available on all the phones - our kids don't have android devises because we feel they don't need that sort of thing and the mobile controls can't be done on their phone! Huge thumbs down for Sprint in this area!!

Highlighted
Wizard

As Abe points out, a very full-featured parental control service is available for Android phones. There's a less capable set of controls available for the iPhone as explained here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4213. Unlike Google, Apple apparently doesn't permit apps that control device functions on their phones, at least that's what I'm reading.

As for other phones, you can turn on and off services whenever there's a problem using Sprint Mobile Controls at Sprint.com. I've used it for disciplinary purposes to with my oldest, and it's tremendously better than actually taking the phone away as we used to. Other than that, we haven't found further services necessary. My kids aren't allowed to put locks on their phones, and we have explained that we as parents might decide at any time to examine what's on their phones if we suspect a problem.

I imagine a service to turn services on and off automatically on a schedule or some resource limit might sell, but I wouldn't pay for it personally. We've done just fine setting rules and expecting that they will be obeyed (well, most of the time). Regardless, Abe, maybe you could take this idea back to Sprint to see if there's any interest in putting some scheduling on top of Mobile Controls?

Journeyman

I stumbled upon a way to control the uses of the sprint phones on my account, for no charge. You can choose access to data, or voice, or apps and downloads, or text - a lot like moblie controls (but you can't see apps, or usage times, etc. ) I was a little perturbed that Sprint was asking me to pay to control my kids' phone, until i discovered you can actually do all that for free. I think it was under prefereneces, and then "Permissions and ___________" - controls or access - sorry, I can't get to that screen right now but if you sign in to your account you can probably find it. Maybe it will work for your kids' type phones. 

Wizard

jckc, you can find those controls by first going into "My Sprint", then "My Preferences". At the bottom of that page is a section called "Limits and permissions". All the free feature controls are there, provided you have the authority on the account to use them.

Journeyman

The options in "Limits and permissions" are not sufficient.  You can only turn things completely on or off.  Other carriers like Verizon provide much richer options for limiting kids cellphone usage at the service level (which is the only way to do things for an iPhone).  Here is the minimum set of features I would need:

• set schedules for when restrictions take effect
  • turn off incoming and outgoing calls except for certain numbers.  This is essential for safety.
  • limit the number of texts per month for a particular line.  Right now its always unlimited for everyone.

I would pay for the Mobile Controls option if it worked for iPhones but it will never be available for iPhones because Apple doesn't let 3rd party apps control core phone features.  So the only way to improve parental control for an iPhone is to control things at the carrier level. 

Can a Sprint representative please respond and let us know whether there are any plans to fix this?

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.