cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/30 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700GA02 (Android 4.2.1)

63 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: 1/30 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700GA02 (Android 4.2.1)

I've had nothing but problems with my Nexus. :-( I've already replaced it, but Sprint won't do a replacement of another type of phone except 2 that look downgraded from what the Nexus is supposed to be. I can't send texts to AT&T customers nor StraightTalk customers. Very frustrated.

Journeyman

I've had problems with random reboots, especially when i'm on important phone calls. This is the only problem I've been experiencing with the update.

I agree with the empty promises and service being somewhat of a joke. If LTE was not rolled out in Boston, I would already have a Nexus 4. I'm out of contract now and have been for about 2 years. Plus I found my Nexus on craigslist and talked the person down to $100 cash.

I've been with Sprint for the good part of 10 years and feel your pain. Not being able to stream pandora on 3g, for example, is a joke. I don't know how people in bad reception areas pay for Sprint.

My only gripe with TMo or ATT are their data casp. Last month I used about 10gb of data.

Journeyman

You're correct, I did bring my phone with me....bought an N4 (16GB) from Google. The one big difference with those speeds on Tmo verses those LTE speeds is battery life. The faster the connection, the shorter time the phone needs to use the network for internet thus increasing the battery life. Not to mention, once they flip their LTE switch they will be pushing people towards it which will give me even more room on HSPA+ and increasing the already minimum 14 hours of battery on heavy use I get now. Honestly, with the speeds I'm getting now I don't see a reason to even get an LTE capable device. Quick question though, which device are you using and does it support VoLTE?

I've had no random reboots on my phone since 4.2.1 was released. Obviously it is something more than just a problem in 4.2.1 if you are having constant reboots. There could be something that triggers it related to 4.2.1...but it definitely does not affect everyone.

Sprint has expanded LTE coverage a ton in the last year and there are far more than a few people that get it now. With it covering nearly all of my city and most of the other places I cover and with speeds of 10-20Mbps, I am happy with Sprint for the first time in a few years. As far as faster speeds on other networks...great. But what exactly can you do on a phone that you need 50-60Mbps for? Sprint is still cheaper for me than any other carrier as well.

The only way I can see you can get the price you say you got is if you didn't get phone through t-mobile as part of your plan. Otherwise the cheapest everything plan is $90 a month before tax.

Journeyman

OK, glad to hear you're one of the fortunate few to actually get an LTE signal. Also, I'm no where near a Tmo troll, I became a customer 1 1/2 weeks ago...I was with Sprint for 7 1/2 years with the service getting worse and worse by the day. I got tired of all the lies and empty promises and am simply telling people there's better options than Sprint. Tmo LTE network is rocking 50 - 60 Mbps...so there's that and is supposed to be turned on at the end of March with it covering their entire network by the end of the year. Sprint is and always will be joke carrier, the sad thing is... it didn't used to be this bad. Not to mention, getting truly unlimited everything for $76 a month after tax is way better than anything Sprint offers. Anyway, no you don't know what type talking in this case.... Google themselves acknowledge the reboot issue no matter if the device was reset because of the coding bug. It may not be this way for all 4.2.1 ROMs but when it comes to Google's 4.2.1 it does.

Journeyman

CaMelGuY1337 you crack me up! I litereally laughed out loud after reading your response. Thank you for that.

My response was to Masquerader - a full wipe should definitely help with his BATTERY woes. Like I said, it has helped me and EVERYONE I know with a Sprint version of this phone AFTER updating.

And how does your rant, at all, help him solve his problem?

I have no idea what I'm talking about? Who's the TMo troll lurking on the Sprint forums?

BTW, I get a constant 15Mbps down and 7-8Mbps up on Sprint's network. Also no problems tethering my laptop streaming full HD video

Journeyman

You obliviously have no idea what you're talking about. The issues we are talking about are inside of 4.2.1, they were wide spread amongst Nexus devices, not too mention if you had read the thread before posting you would have seen that many have done a factory reset without any luck of "solving the problem" as you put it. This is one of the reasons they pushed out 4.2.2 so quickly in comparison to other OS updates, Google knew of the problem and fixed it. I'm on a Nexus 4 now with 4.2.2 and haven't had one issue so far. Since Google DOES NOT maintain the software for the Sprint variant of the Galaxy Nexus, I hope Samsung and Sprint decide to push it out to you guys soon. When I was using the Sprint G'Nex with 4.2.1 I counted over 30 random reboots with or without factory resetting the device and the device reached temps over 135 degrees...the hottest being 140 degrees. That was due to the poor radio selection made for the handset and Sprints abysmal network. Either way....the cdma variants Galaxy Nexus were & always will be a disappointment. My suggestion....buy an unlocked Nexus from Google and choose the gsm carrier you want to be on. I'm now on T-Mobile and loving it, the fastest speed test so far was 3362.6 kB/s. The speed never goes under roughly 8Mbps, which is plenty fast to stream HD YouTube, Amazon MP3 & just about anything with having to buffer.

Journeyman

backup your device and do a full factory data wipe.

this will solve your problems.

ps: it's always good practice to backup and do a fresh install of any app/firmware/software.

Journeyman

I am having the same problem since updating to 4.2.1. My battery will last about half a day with minimal use. Games that were running fine like Candy Crush now have such a lag that they are barely playable. Launching app, goolge search/now and getting results to return take forever when on 4.1 they were lighting fast. Sometimes killing certain apps/tasks will speed the phone back up for a little while, but not for long. It's like project butter is completely gone from the phone. I'm pretty close to just going back to 4.1 until this stupid version gets fixed. I liked my phone then, not it is only slightly faster than my old Evo 4g.

Journeyman

With the update my phone deff runs warm on the top half of the screen, but no that hot.

I've also been with Sprint for roughly 10 years and the only reason I'm still with them is because of a 27% discount and LTE recently rolled out in Boston. I'm constantly getting 15mbps down and 7Mbps up at home and at work. Tethering has been great also.

Otherwise, I would have a Nexus 4 right now.