cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10/31 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - GJ04

Journeyman

Re: 10/31 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - GJ04

It will just reset/wipe everything.  The 4.3 update flashed on the phone.

Journeyman

I will not be updating to 4.3 for any reason to many problems with video, streaming and signal loss 3G 4G WIFI.

Seems the video hardware and antenna binaries/code is not up to par for this device.

I just hope they give an option to decline the update and not get nagged or forced to after so long.

have a look at the Google groups nexus devices forum.

Many posts previously here on these boards as well to the issues.

This to me is not a Sprint problem. It is solely on Google and the android OS on the Gnex phone.

Mine runs just fine on 4.2.1

It is too bad the last update we Gnexer's receive is problematic.

The best way to cure I guess is to get the Nexus 5 or a Note3 and be done with it.

Google Groups

Journeyman

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple uses this problem about the flagship Google Nexus device not getting the current updates 4.4 and 4.3 problems in their ads too.

Scott7710 wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple uses this problem about the flagship Google Nexus device not getting the current updates 4.4 and 4.3 problems in their ads too.

I would hardly call the Galaxy Nexus a flagship device. It is 2 years old and there are 2 newer versions out now. It would be like calling the Iphone 3 a flagship Apple device...which also no longer receives updates and hasn't for almost a year.

Journeyman

Coaster,

I suppose, It was the first to carry the Nexus name, promises for updates and hype.

You and I and a ton of others went through the ICS/JB update and helped a lot of people get theirs updated and working.

I am glad you posted about the 4.3 video problems. That's what sent me on the hunt to find what was all in the update and issues.

What is odd is the IP4 runs IO7.

That was the phone the Gnex was made to compete against.

I would be more in line to get 4.3 or 4.4 on the Gnex if it worked right.

We aren't going to get it.

Samsung could care less they got their money from us.

The Nexus series/brands keeps churning out devices.

I got mine summer of 2012, so I feel like everybody else.

We were promised the timely updates and the Google experience.

I'm not able to upgrade until like March 2014.

I'm frustrated enough to jump ship and go buy the NEXUS 5 32gb straight from Google.

Then head to another carrier.

I hated Verizon glad they didn't get Nexus 5 or they could have pulled me into their trap again.

I hated AT&T too. .

So T-Mobile my be the only option.

Geez I sound just like the GS2 owners when they didn't get Jellybean.

We will just have to wait and see if we get a patch for the 4.3 issues.

I hope the folks at XDA are trying to find and work a fix for us.

I'm not holding my breathe.

Journeyman

Scott7710 wrote:

Coaster,

I suppose, It was the first to carry the Nexus name, promises for updates and hype.

Samsung could care less they got their money from us.

Actually, it was the 3rd to carry the Nexus name. There was the original Nexus and then the Nexus S before it...with the same promises of fast updates. Yes, it would be nice to get the upgrade to KitKat, but Google isn't doing anything different in supporting this phone compared to the past Nexus phones. Google says they will support a phone with updates for 18 months from release. The Galaxy Nexus was released in Oct 2011.

The problems with the update seem to be all on Google...Samsung can't do anything if something from Google is broken.

If you buy the Nexus 5, expect the same thing to happen to it that happened to the Galaxy Nexus and the ones before it. When the 7th revision of the Nexus comes out, the 5 will no longer be supported.

Journeyman

I forgot about those two.

I'll be in line for that ROM from XDA after its proven.

Journeyman

"I'm frustrated enough to jump ship and go buy the NEXUS 5 32gb straight from Google.

Then head to another carrier.

I hated Verizon glad they didn't get Nexus 5 or they could have pulled me into their trap again.

I hated AT&T too. .

So T-Mobile my be the only option."

FYI Nexus 5 WILL connect to Sprint, TMobile AND AT&T. So you dont have to jump ship unless you want to.

Journeyman

I seen that it was a multi band phone I really liked that being apart of the phone.

I'm still at a point that upgrading early would be too expensive.

Or just buy direct and get a monthly plan from the other carriers.

It would be better deal in long run. Still looking at options.

If I switched carriers I would have to see what the data throttling caps are too.

Bad part about it is the OTA 4.3 update is waiting to install and I don't have 4.2.1 backed up yet.

I'm not willing to deal with the toggle antenna or video issues. I need my 3G/4G/WIFI left alone.

BTW folks in Harrison County MS

I am getting 4g along the beach HWY 90 and I-10 in Gulfport and Biloxi MS .

I haven't seen any post that it was available or in test market mode.

The 4G rocks. esp. with GPS navigation. Surfing the web is day and night difference.

I haven't been able to sit still long enough to run a speed test and screen and capture that either.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I updated to 4.3 last night. Everything went smooth but i did not have data connectivity and could not update PRL, etc. Kept getting connection error messages. Called CS and had them send a refresh signal. Pulled battery and rebooted. All is well.

Sometimes with firmware updates you may or may not have to do a factory data reset.

I'm in Boston and NYC before that, so I've had 4G for a while now. I have NO idea how anyone is on Sprint 3G! I'm constantly getting an average of 12Mbps down and 8Mbps up. No hiccups streaming HD video or tethering to my laptop.

Journeyman

Glad to hear you are not having any issues.

If you do please post.

Thanks for the hard reset tip too.

Yep the 3G is a bummer for sure.

On a good clear day my GF's HTC 4G LTE will pick it up in the yard at home but my Gnex won't.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat