cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9/7 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700.FH05 (Jelly Bean)

20 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: 9/7 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700.FH05 (Jelly Bean)

After a hard reset, and still experiencing the issue, i resolved it by disabling Wifi > menu > advanced > uncheck "avoid poor connections"

I am in a poor wifi area, so when "avoid poor connections" is enabled the wifi goes nuts, and appears to crash/freeze/reboot the phone. 

Hope this helps if anyone else experiences this. 

psci12 wrote:

i've read of wifi and rebooting issues on other forums.  I dont really do apps, i run vanilla + chrome from google. 

post #102 http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-nexus/207034-official-jelly-bean-update-thoughts-comp... for example

Settings and data for installed apps (apps include the phone dialer, messaging, email, etc as well) can cause issues after an upgrade.

Best thing to do is to call Sprint and explain the problem...that way if they get a bunch of people calling with the same problem they can fix it. However, I am almost certain they will have to you do a hard reset of the phone before they do anything anything else.

On one of the updates for Epic 4G there was a setting that made the phone app force close...making it impossible to make or receive calls. Not everyone had the issue because not everyone used that particular setting. Resetting the phone put that setting back to default and then the phone worked. They eventually figured out what setting it was and were able to fix it in a future update.

If there was a major issue with the update there would be a lot more people on this forum complaining.

Journeyman

i've read of wifi and rebooting issues on other forums.  I dont really do apps, i run vanilla + chrome from google. 

post #102 http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-nexus/207034-official-jelly-bean-update-thoughts-comp... for example

psci12 wrote:

Since the update my phone freezes or reboots on its own a few times per day.    Is a fix pending?

You probably need to do a factory reset on your phone. Most likely you have something installed that doesn't like the update. I haven't seen any reports of this being a common problem with the update.

Journeyman

Since the update my phone freezes or reboots on its own a few times per day.    Is a fix pending?

The circle comes up when you touch and hold the home button. Google now is the same on the Sprint version as the non sprint versions of the nexus.

Journeyman

As I mentioned, I had none of these options when first updatedd. The app called 'Google' has been on my phone before the upgrade, which was just the search bar.

I have since figured it out and that is to hit the Google Search bar and THAT gets you into Google Now. I don't know how the others have the big white circle that clearly says Google on it because I clearly did not. I have to assume it's different per every phone; ie phones that are not Google phones (like the Nexus) have the app. It would have been nice however to actively have the app called 'Google Now' to avoid confusion.

When you unlock your screen one of the options is to swipe up to the word Google. You can also hold the home button and swipe up once unlocked. There is a app simply called Google as well. If you did not set it up when you first booted into Jelly Bean after the update you will need to set it up first. Do any one of the 3 methods I mentioned and then click the 3 dots in lower right corner and select settings and turn Google now on.

Journeyman

I got the update this morning and while the new changes are nice, I have noticed one glaring omission - I'm missing Google Now.

I've done searches and it says that it come, as an app and giant white circle, when you first unlock your screen. I had neither of that. I've turned off anything that might interfere (third party apps, live wallpaper) to no avail. I'm guessing it's part of search, but do I need to open Google Search first? From all the hype and screen shots, it looks like it should be sitting right there and it's not. I also don't have an app for it.

One post I found did state that a Google Apps account admin would need to enable it on the admin side. While I do use Google Apps for work, I have two other Google accounts, which I signed into first (basically my phone is geared more towards personal than business, thou used for both). Does that still mean I need to actually contact my Google Apps admin in order to get him to enable it? And quite frankly, other than my boss, I think we're the only two people in the company that are running newer Android devices, assuming that we're the only two running Android devices period (everyone else has iPhones).

Is this an oversight with Sprint? Quirky issue? Most importantly, how do I fix it??

Wizard

Some folks never are...