cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 4.2.2 or 4.3 for Galaxy Nexus?

Journeyman

Android 4.2.2 or 4.3 for Galaxy Nexus?

When 4.2.1 was released, Google and Sprint broke a number of things, among them battery life was reduced and bluetooth is no longer reliable - I haven't been able to use my bluetooth headset wince the "upgrade".

4.2.2. is on the Verizon Samsung Nexus, and has been for a while, some new phones from Sprint are shipping with 4.3,

One of the sales points for the Nexus was a "pure google experience" and "faster upgrades than other phones".

C'mon Sprint, it's time to show the Nexus some love and make the lies the salesman told come true..

Why not start by committing to a date?  When's it going to happen?

90 REPLIES 90

Re: Android 4.2.2 or 4.3 for Galaxy Nexus?

Sprint didn't break anything, they have nothing to do with the software update. The updates for the Sprint phone come from Samsung. Also, the current version on Sprint is 4.1.2

I doubt 4.2 will ever be released since it was a minor update. There also seem to be more issues with 4.2 than 4.1....slower and worse battery life. Samsung skipped some of the ICS updates for the Sprint phone too.

There is NO phone shipping with 4.3. Google hasn't even announced 4.3 and it doesn't exist anywhere yet.

Journeyman

I didn't say that Sprint had broken bluetooth, I was very explicit that Google had broken bluetooth.  You can google bluetooth and 4.2.1 and find lots of references.  Google has admitted they broke bluetooth and that they'd fix it in 4.2.2.

Additionally, 4.2.2 is supposed to improve battery life.

Verizon is traditionally slower than Sprint on upgrades, and Verizon has released 4.2.2 for the Galaxy Nexus.

Part of the Nexus package is remaining current with the native Android experience.  Sprint is reducing the value of that promise.  Which makes Cyanogen a lot more attractive.

As to 4.3, it has been leaking out and a number of S4 devices have it. Not an official release, but it is anticipated, according to Engadget, in the July time frame.

MAVERY76266 wrote:

I didn't say that Sprint had broken bluetooth, I was very explicit that Google had broken bluetooth.  You can google bluetooth and 4.2.1 and find lots of references.  Google has admitted they broke bluetooth and that they'd fix it in 4.2.2.

Additionally, 4.2.2 is supposed to improve battery life.

Verizon is traditionally slower than Sprint on upgrades, and Verizon has released 4.2.2 for the Galaxy Nexus.

Part of the Nexus package is remaining current with the native Android experience.  Sprint is reducing the value of that promise.  Which makes Cyanogen a lot more attractive.

As to 4.3, it has been leaking out and a number of S4 devices have it. Not an official release, but it is anticipated, according to Engadget, in the July time frame.

You were not very explicit that Google had broken Bluetooth you said "When 4.2.1 was released, Google and Sprint broke a number of things, among them battery life was reduced and bluetooth is no longer reliable". Which is also wrong because there isn't a version 4.2.1. It is version 4.1.2

I am aware there are leaks of 4.3 for the S4 but you stated that Sprint was shipping phones with 4.3 on them.

There are still Bluetooth and battery issues with 4.2.2.

Verizon has 4.2.2 because they were so slow in releasing 4.1.2, by the time they got around to doing an update, 4.2.2 was out and they skipped 4.1.2

Journeyman

> You were not very explicit that Google had broken Bluetooth you said "When 4.2.1 was released, Google and Sprint broke a number of things, among them battery life

> was reduced and bluetooth is no longer reliable". Which is also wrong because there isn't a version 4.2.1. It is version 4.1.2

How odd, when I look at the version information in my phone it tells me my Galaxy Nexus is running 4.2.1.  Perhaps you need to update your phone?

MAVERY76266 wrote:

> You were not very explicit that Google had broken Bluetooth you said "When 4.2.1 was released, Google and Sprint broke a number of things, among them battery life

> was reduced and bluetooth is no longer reliable". Which is also wrong because there isn't a version 4.2.1. It is version 4.1.2

How odd, when I look at the version information in my phone it tells me my Galaxy Nexus is running 4.2.1.  Perhaps you need to update your phone?

Sorry, my mistake on that one. 4.2.1 is correct. I got confused with another post I had to replied to on another forum about the earlier version.

Wizard

MAVERY76266,

Thanks for the post.  There is nothing official about any update releases coming from Samsung for the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint (just many unconfirmed rumors).  If any of these rumors do come to fruition the place where you would see the official announcement would be here: http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/.  

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care

Michael C.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Where the fuck is my 4.2.2 update. Y'all just updated the s4 today.  Cmon sprint. This bull shit

Wizard

MAVERY76266,

Thanks for the post.  I reached out to one of our tech savvy agents that has the Galaxy Nexus.  He said the Google upgrade to the Android Jellybean 4.2 (JOP40D.L700GA02) release which came out over the air in late January was very solid as far as operation.  What functionality is it that you feel you are not getting?  Let us know and we’ll do our best to address for you.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care

Michael C.

Journeyman

Basically, my Bluetooth headset doesn't work well.  It disconnects frequently, and the sound quality is very poor - crackling, breaking up, and hiccuping.  Neither of these problems existed before the upgrade to 4.2.1.

I feel that the battery life has declined, but I just put the phone on the charger wherever I go.  Not an ideal answer, but an answer.

-Mike

Wizard

MAVERY76266,

Thanks for the reply. Most of the issues addressed with the Google 4.2.1 update for Sprint were the issues that were addressed for the 4.2.2 issues for other carriers.  I am going to post what can be the best possible solutions to the issues that you’re having. 

1. I. Bluetooth declined:
  2. 1.Does the device you're pairing with support the same Bluetooth protocols as your device?

Refer to the Bluetooth device's user manual for compatibility.

If the manual doesn't list any of these protocols, your device may be unable to connect to that Bluetooth device.

1. 2.Is Bluetooth enabled on both devices?

Bluetooth may be turned off on either your phone or the other Bluetooth device. Be sure Bluetooth is enabled on both devices.

Turn your Bluetooth on.

1. 3.Is the Bluetooth device in range?

The Bluetooth communication range for most devices, including yourphone, is about 30 feet. Be sure your devices are in range.

1. 4.Perform a soft reset.

A soft reset deletes any temporary files that may be causing the issue.

1. a.Press and hold the Power key, tap Power off, and then tap OK to turn your phone off.
  2. b.Remove the battery. After 30 seconds, reinsert the battery.
  3. c.Press and hold the Power key to turn your phone back on.
  4. d.Test your device to see if the issue is resolved.

1. 5.Remove the pairing and re-pair the Bluetooth device.

Removing the pairing, restarting your phone, and then re-pairing the Bluetooth device refreshes and updates your connection.  Pair with a Bluetooth device.

1. II. Frequently disconnecting issues may be fixed by addressing low internal memory issues:
    1. Verify you have available memory using Sprint Zone
    2. Uninstall unused applications
    3. Move applications to the memory card.
    4. Clear application cache.
    5. Perform a soft reset.

1. III. Battery life has declined.

For your battery issues please try:

1. 1.Change the power settings using Sprint Zone to increase battery life on yourphone.
  2. a.Access Sprint Zone.
  3. b.Tap Help.
  4. c.Tap I Need Help.
  5. d.Tap Power Configuration.
  6. e.Tap Low Power Configuration.
  7. f.Tap Apply.
  8. g.If the Low Power Configuration setting disables a feature you are using such as Wi-Fi or Sync, tap the feature to turn it back on.

You can also manually adjust power settings.

1. 2.Verify the battery is not damaged.
  2. a.Press and hold the Power key, tap Power off, and then tap OK to turn off
  3. b.Remove the battery.
  4. c.Carefully inspect the battery to be sure it's not overheating, swollen or damaged. These are signs that the battery needs to be replaced and may be the cause of your issue.
  5. d.If the battery appears damaged, don't reinsert
  6. e.Find the nearest Sprint Repair center and schedule an appointment so a Sprint technician can check out your device. (www.sprint.com/storelocator)

Please let me know if this helps.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care

Michael C

Journeyman

Hi,

hour

About accessing Sprint Zone to solve the issues on the Galaxy Nexus... 

I don't believe Sprint Zone is included on the Galaxy Nexus.  Remember, this device is pure Google, without either the carrier's or the manufacturer's bloatware.

When my Galaxy Nexus was updated to 4.2.1 in January, I had nothing but problems.  Frequent shutdowns, not accessing the network, lots of freezing up.  Sprint sent me several replacement phones.  Turns out, the problems persisted with the new devices as well.  Eventually, a lot of the problems went away.  I believe it was a Sprint network issue in my area.  My gripe is that Sprint tech support should have known about this instead of wasting my time with replacement phones and hours spent on the phone with support, not to mention the waste of time with factory resets.

I'm paying a premium to be with on a post-paid plan with a carrier.  When my contract is up, I'll look at the prepaid, no-contract offerings.  Why waste any more time with this lack of knowledgeable support.  This phone should have been upgraded to 4.2.2 months ago.  Inexcusable that neither Sprint nor Samsung is keeping this phone updated. 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat