cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 4.2.2 or 4.3 for Galaxy Nexus?

Journeyman

Re: Android 4.2.2 or 4.3 for Galaxy Nexus?

Sorry, the Airave is at home and I am not.  However, you can look up what was sent to me pretty easily.

According to the instructions, the Airave should be connected directly to the Wide Area Networking (WAN) device (DSL modem, cable modem, etc), and then the local area network (LAN) should be connected to the Airave.

When the Airave is hooked up this way, when it is being rebooted it doesn't pass Ethernet signals between the LAN and WAN.  So, no one in the house can surf, check emails, stream videos or whatever.  A reboot can take a few minutes or a few hours.  The natives get restless.  This setup was recommended for performance reasons.

I hooked the Airave up so that it is just another device on the LAN.  Now when it's being rebooted only the cell phones are affected.  And, at least here, the Airave performance is no worse than it was when hooked up as recommended.

Journeyman

Unfortunately the Airave configuration is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.  If you plug it directly to your modem, if it's causing issues then as you said, your network will suffer for it.  If you run it to your router though, then Sprint can blame your router all day long.  Having worked in various parts of the networking field, I can say with confidence that a good portion of the time, telling a customer to run it to a modem is a solid way to go because alot of people will buy crap routers that can certainly cause issues with something like an airave.  This isn't to say you fall in that category, it's just something where when you do what Sprint says, you're gonna have crap service after it if it's acting up and if you don't do what they say, then they have the option of sitting on their hands till you do.  I just read an article at the tail end of last month though that says Airave 1.0 is not supported as of August 1 and that 2.5 is what you should have, so if you have 1.0 then they should swap it for you to one they do support.

Wizard

MAVERY7626,

Thanks for the post. It is concerning me that the airave you have is taking so long to reboot. What model do you have? 

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care,

Michael C.

Wizard

BadWolf79,

Thank you for the post. You make a great point the about the airave 1.0 not being serviced any longer.  As of 8/1/13, Sprint and our vendor partner Samsung, are discontinuing our support of the AIRAVE.  Customers should not return their old device to Sprint.  Instead, they can choose to visit sprint.com/buyback to learn more about recycling the device.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care,

Michael C

Journeyman

Google just announced 4.3 is coming to the galaxy nexus.  Sprint any news you can now share? Dates for our gnex phones?

Journeyman

More specifically they said it would be available today for the Galaxy Nexus. The problem is I think we will wait a long time for this with Sprint because they are not working closely with their OEM's like Samsung to get updates that ensure devices are working properly.

It's funny how Sprint can sell the phones to us but not ensure we get adequate and important updates in a timely fashion.

Journeyman

Sprint and Verizon are CDMA carriers, AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM.  CDMA carriers don't release updates quickly, we'll be lucky to see 4.3 in the next month or two.  The GSM carriers get it pretty much as soon as it releases with occasional caveats here and there. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Spring share news on updates. HA!  News flash sprint. There is another update for our gnex awaiting us. Figured I'd help out since y'all seem to be clueless most of the time

Journeyman

Actually Verizon Galaxy Nexus customers got Android 4.3 today. So were now two updates behind all other carriers.

Journeyman

Given that Sprint is now two updates behind Verizon (for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus), I refuse to believe that this is solely a Samsung decision.  If that's the case, then it's either because 1) Sprint has little or no clout with the manufacturers, or 2) Sprint has decided to not exert any influence on the manufacturers.  Either way, we as consumers are the ones who pay the price.  All that does it reinforce my statement in a previous post, that we are paying top dollar for premium devices and postpaid contracts with a carrier who chooses to not support its customers.

I didn't buy the phone from Samsung.  I bought it from Sprint.  I expected Sprint to work with their vendor (in this case, Samsung), to keep the device as up-to-date as possible.

Live and learn.

Journeyman

Well after finding out sprint is once again left out of a device (nexus 7)  I'm moving to T-Mobile. There plans are awesome and none of this nonsense

Journeyman

JBQ or Jean-Baptiste Quéru is the AOSP be all end all.  On June 1 via Google+, when asked about CDMA and AOSP he said:

"There are 3 aspects that have been causing difficulty with CDMA devices in AOSP:

-each device is specific to one network, and instead of using a standard type of SIM card like in GSM networks the way each CDMA device registers with its network is proprietary.

-the CDMA devices that have been supported in AOSP each had an additional network bolted on the side (WiMAX in one case, LTE in the other two), and in each case the interaction between the CDMA network and the other network has been proprietary.

-the proprietary components for these 2 aspects above have typically been less isolated and less portable than the other proprietary hardware-specific files that allow AOSP code to run on actual hardware, and that makes them unsuitable for several processes."

So essentially this leaves the bag in the hands of Samsung as you pointed out.  Basically Samsung had to cobble together the phones in the right way to make them work with Sprint and did it in a nonstandard way.  More importantly, and I can't find the exact post where he says it, but he states that licensing issues also play a large role in CDMA/AOSP friendliness which was part of what stopped Verizon initially and still plays a role with preventing AOSP from working with Sprint.  If they got rid of the proprietary issues and settled the licensing fees, we'd have the binaries for our phone and would be part of the AOSP fold, but it doesn't look like that will be happening any time soon.  I plan on switching to T-Mobile and most likely just paying the fee for my account termination after over a decade because I want a less expensive plan with faster data and a phone I buy direct from Google to get updates direct from Google to.

I particularly like your last big line though about expecting Sprint to work with Samsung, clearly it hasn't been the case and from the looks of it, we'll probably get 4.3 down the line but there's no rush to support a device that's nearly two years old (came out November 2011).  I hope the Softbank acquisition does Sprint some good but honestly I really doubt I'll be a customer to see it.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat