cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data roaming can not be disabled?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Data roaming can not be disabled?

I have found that data roaming can not be disabled.

see this screen cap here:

http://goo.gl/c2tq1

Data roaming is disabled, yet the 'R' signal bars are blue, which says that phone is still connected to the google servers via cell data. Wifi is disabled.

The phone status 'about phone' page. Look at the line that describes the roaming state . . . it says it is NOT roaming, yes the status bar said it is.

goo.gl/43iQ1

Anyone else heard of a fix for this? When in Mexico/Canada, this means I get charged for background data, or when the wifi connection is lost or hiccups.

As data needs to be enabled to use wifi data.

Sprint is denying this is a problem.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Data roaming can not be disabled?

Go to: Settings > More... > Mobile Networks > System select

2 options will show up. Select Home Only

By checking this option you will only connect to Sprint CDMA and 3G. If you cross the  border to Mexico, you will not be able to connect to any roaming partner ( No calls or Data, Wifi will work), in this case USACELL which is the roaming carrier in Mexico.

When you check the option Data Roaming, you are allowing the phone to connect to any roaming data partner (Verizon) if no Sprint 3G Service is available.

This has worked on my Nexus S 4G, I'm not sure if this works with my  Galaxy Nexus but it should.

Forgot to mention, the R appears because you are roaming using CDMA, not Data Roaming.

Highlighted
Journeyman

When I travel, I do not want to disable roaming for phone/text messages, I want to only disable data roaming.

The problem is, the data roaming option has no effect. See the first image link above.

As described here.

===

http://support.google.com/android/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1649769

Data roaming. Prevents your device from transmitting data over other carriers’ networks when you leave an area that is covered by your own carrier’s networks. This is one way to to control expenses if your mobile data contract doesn’t include data roaming.

===

I have used this option with Nexus S 4G and LG Optimus. On the Gnex is causes large roaming charges

I'm having a hard time with Sprint support, understanding the problem with the phone.

See this image... it says the phone BOTH is roaming AND not roaming.

The phone status 'about phone' page. Look at the line that describes the roaming state . . . it says it is NOT roaming, yes the status bar said it is.

goo.gl/43iQ1

Highlighted
Journeyman

If unchecking the Data Roaming option does not work, I assume this option is only intented to work while roaming in the US.

I would suggest to Uncheck "Data enabled" to avoid connecting to any Mobile Network while traveling.

Highlighted
Journeyman

sal_22 wrote:

If unchecking the Data Roaming option does not work, I assume this option is only intented to work while roaming in the US.

I would suggest to Uncheck "Data enabled" to avoid connecting to any Mobile Network while traveling.

You assume wrong, I'm afraid.

As I said, I previoulsy had two other Android phones where the setting options did correctly work.

The image #1 above was with data roaming DISABLED and I was in Louisiana, USA at the time.

So this setting doesn't work in the US and it doesn't work in Canada, from experience.

If I travel to places where I wish to use data on wifi, I need to turn on data.

This is a bug with the phone's firmware and I can't get Sprint to understand anything technical like this.

The Samsung GS III has two options to disable data roaming and phone roaming, one for the US and one for international.

the GNex does not.

Does anyone have a contact at Sprint via email or phone that understand technical issues with phones?

I have requested that they replace this phone (actually I have two of these phones, same issues) with a GSIII which has correct operation roaming control.

And before someone says put the phone in to airplane mode..... I might as well throw the phone in the trash and buy an ipod.

Highlighted

You might want to see if this is a known issue with other Galaxy Nexus phones as well. The software on the phone is 100% pure Google and is not modified by Sprint. So it is either a problem with the release from Google, or Samsung caused a problem when they did the build from Google's source.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm curious too, if its a problem with the GSM model also.

I haven't seen any other mention of it, besides my postings.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Still waiting on answers from Sprint on this one.

I have found that the GSM verison of the phone does not have this problem, where disabling data roaming really does disable data roaming.

They are currently not admitting there is a phone fault. Even though I can reproduce this problem on two different phones, while in the US.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat