cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GALAXY NEXUS JB UPDATE, WHATS THE BIG DEAL?

Journeyman

GALAXY NEXUS JB UPDATE, WHATS THE BIG DEAL?

Got jb update and from what I see not really a big change besides the new notification bar which I think is great but note much else has really jumped out at me. Sure u get I new quick control and pages u open jump out of lower corner. Besides that not really a huge difference between ICS and JB. And if u haven't noticed no more microbe screen saver.

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: GALAXY NEXUS JB UPDATE, WHATS THE BIG DEAL?

The Jelly Bean update is nothing magic if you are looking for new features.  Here's the main ones I can think of off hand.

1. Notifications are better.  This means more buttons, more feedback to the user so you can get to different parts of the notifying app based on what action you take in the notification.

2.  Google Now.  Helps you with day to day things, like finding the best way home on a given day.

3. Search tiles.  Now when you do a search, you should get a tile with a best guess answer.  This means if you are asking a question that can be answered with facts (e.g., What date was JFK shot?), you get a short answer with a way to get to the search results list.  Basically, you get an answer, not a list that you need to find the answer in.

4. Offline speech to text translation.  When you hit the search mic icon and do a voice search, if you don't have internet, the phone will translate the voice to text anyways.  This wasn't the case before.  This should have future implications if they ever allow developers better access to their voice to text tools.  I don't know how useful it really is right now unless you like placing calls through voice commands.  Most other voice commands are just searches on the internet anyways (being offline and doing a voice search that translates properly is still useless when there is not www to search on).

The real magic in Jelly Bean is performance.  Rather than making a bunch of new stuff, Google focused on a project they dubbed "Butter".  Make as much user experience as smooth as possible.  Smoother scrolling, better page transitions, quicker everything.  Reports indicate they did a fantasic job on this.

Sorry there is not much new magic, but your battery, boot up, and ability to move quickly around the phone should all be improved.  Give Google now a try.  My coworkers are using it and they have in fact found it useful.

- An Android Developer

JB isn't considered a major upgrade...that's why it is 4.1 and not 5.0 so there aren't as many changes as there were between Gingerbread (2.3) and ICS (4.1). As pointed out by get_a_grip, it is still a really good update though and makes things a lot smoother.

Sprint has also added CMAS support in this build.

Journeyman

ICS was 4.0 JB is 4.1 just a fyi

Journeyman

What's new in Jelly Bean

http://www.android.com/about/jelly-bean/

With Android Beam, you can now easily share your photos and videos.

Chrome Browser

Improved Camera app.

Etc.

Journeyman

word of advice i would trun nfc and android beam off unless you are useing it. Its incredibly easy to hack

Journeyman

Not only easy to hack but a drain on battery, especially being built into the battery, bad feature IMO. Its overall much better, especially 4.2.1....much quicker, better ram management, status toggles, the gapps are better..

Journeyman

@ajf64 - how easy is it? Any references to a successful exploit (that didn't rely on user unlocking their lockscreen, and placing the phone within inches of a NFC tag)?

Not disputing what you said, but just curious. All the 'exploits' that I've read about work only on users who do not lock their lockscreen (pattern/pin/password), *and* place their phone close enough to a NFC tag to read it and execute the command on it.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat