cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Nexus Extended Battery

Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy Nexus Extended Battery

Has anyone heard the status if the extended batter for the Galaxy Nexus (Gnex)? 

I have horrible battery life.  The strange thing is the VzW device battery life and the UMTS version are fine... I am getting 3-4 hours of talk time

I am thinking about going to VzW and getting the extended battery but will not have the new rear cover (not that is is competely necessary)

Thanks

Chris

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Galaxy Nexus Extended Battery

texas-saluki,

Although we currently do not carry it through the accessories link on sprint.com, I did Google the battery and show that it is available through Samsung direct http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/ETC-I515BBGSTA as well as other channels.

Markie_B

Highlighted
Journeyman

Markie,

Thanks... I was looking at the VzW battery but reading on other forums the back cover is different and does really fit.  Plus do I really want Sprint phone with a VzW back cover. 

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

I've been scouring the net for more info on when this may hit the market also, but haven't found anything.  I don't want to use the VZW version because the cover won't fit right, and I don't use a case.  This should have been available from launch considering they had to pull a d-bag move and make the cover fit differently from the VZW version.  I become more and more unsatisfied with sprint every day I have their service.

Highlighted
Journeyman

DC,

I got the verizon battery and using the stock back... it works.  Not ideal but give a bit more juice. 

Seems crazy that Sprint does not offer the battery themselves and tweaked the battery cover so the VzW could not just be rebadged

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes DC,

I order the Verizon battery and cover and my Sprint cover worked just find.   I agree Texas-Saluki the would be so easy for Sprint to do, but when they don't make adjustment I guess we do.  LOL

Highlighted
Wizard

The Sprint cover works fine with the Verizon regular 1850 battery. When I was using the phone it lasted almost all day with a few con calls and e-mail and texting all day.  No streaming anything or video etc. 

Cheers,

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just bought the extended battery and Verizon exended cover. The Verizon cover's tabs do NOT line up with the Sprint phone's slots on the right side. Anyone else have this problem?

And the OEM Sprint back is not a clean fit. Not horrible but not as tight as with the OEM batt.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Fred, yes the VzW cover does not work... the stock cover is not ideal but until Sprint comes up with a solution this is the best we have.  I am not hopeful we are going to get a solution as this seems to be mainly a test device that Sprint used in their FIT testing as they are not supporting ASOP

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've run into this predicament from day one. I used my stock cover from day one with the extended battery, but it always bugged me that it didn't fit just perfectly. I ended up taking the VZW cover and sanding down the one tab that didn't fit perfectly into the slot on the phone, and it worked fine. From there, I sort of went overboard, and sanded down the entire back cover, primed it and then applied a carbon fiber skin.

I ran that setup for a month or so then ended up purchasing a battery charger and extra battery in general. To be honest, I like the form factor of my phone naked a lot more without the extended battery, and it really doesn't provide that much more juice. So, now, in my backpack, I have a Tylt external charger that charges a battery so all I have to do is hot swap batteries, and put the dead one on charge in my pack. For us power users, it really makes the most sense. I'm bluetooth tethering to my Nexus 7 most of the day, so my phone dies in around six or so hours.

To be honest, I'm not sure why the company didn't pick up their own version of the extended battery + cover, but I've had to adjust just like you guys. It hasn't been too big of a deal, though.

Highlighted
Wizard

Now that I have both GNex devices (Sprint and the GSM version) I am amazed at how much faster the battery drains on the Sprint version.  The GSM version goes for 1.5 to 2 days while the Sprint version is down to 20% by late afternoon.  Even in CDMA only mode the Sprint version runs hotter and has less battery life.  I can see why some people try the extended battery on the Sprint version. 

Cheers,

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too, own both of those devices. I've only had my GSM one for around a month as I just recieved it at IO this year. I notice a huge difference, but the defining factor in that is definitely CDMA vs GSM. I suppose it's the price we pay for LTE.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat