cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Nexus buyer beware

Journeyman

Galaxy Nexus buyer beware

By way of introduction I've been a sprint customer since 1999.  I've had the EVO 4G for almost 2 years.  So when I heard that sprint was getting the Galaxy Nexus I was exicited.  I thought now here's the phone I have been waiting for.  Android 4.0, NFC, google wallet, face unlock etc.  The phone was released this past sunday on the 22nd.  I went into my local sprint store on monday and bought one.  During the activation the data wouldn't come on.  The rep and I figured it was just going to take some time, so no big deal.  I left the store and went back to the house.  No data.  I left for work which is 23 miles away in Savannah, GA.  Still no data.  I drive a truck and so I headed out to Atlanta.  Still no data. 

At this point I was getting a little annoyed so I called tech support.  They had me do another hands free activation.  The data would come on during the activation, but once it was completed, no data.  I reactivated the phone 3 times.  I also did a factory reset.  Still no data.  When I got to Atlanta, I was able to get wi-fi access so I updated the prl and profile.  Still no data.  All the way back to Savannah no data.  Drove home and spent some time on another device looking to see if anyone else had the same issue, they did.  In fact when I spoke to my 3rd tech rep they told me it was a known issue and that sprint and samsung were working on the issue.  Most of the posts that I have found stated that for those affected a phone replacement was required. 

So on Tuesday afternoon I took it back to the sprint store and got a full refund.  I didn't want to do that.  What I wanted was a working phone.  I read one post where a person stated that those affected should give it time and that google phones were buggy on release.  Well my phone wasn't buggy, it was broken.  And I don't have time to let sprint and samsung figure out the problem. 

This phone is being touted as the new flagship android phone for sprint.  To have it in a non working state on launch is unacceptable.  Where was the quality control?  Doing further research I discovered that Verizon has the same problem with the Galaxy Nexus.  It has to do with the sim card authentication.  The new 4G LTE phones authenticate differently than the old 3G phones.  So basically what you have is the phone trying to shake hands with the data network and the network denying the phone access. 

Am I dissapointed.  Yes I am.  What is really upsetting is the fact that this isn't affecting all Galaxy Nexus phones.  It's a hit or miss thing.  When I took the phone back the rep who helped me stated that she got the first GNex in their store and it was working fine.  And that their demo was also working fine.  What a huge bummer for me.  She told me that they should have a fix in a month or so and that if I was still interested I should check back then.  Or perhaps wait for the HTC EVO 4G LTE.  Really?  Why?  So I can get another phone that doesn't connect to the data network? 

It would be nice if sprint had handled this launch in a way that would have resolved their customers problems instead of me having to return the phone and reactivate my EVO 4G.

36 REPLIES 36
Journeyman

Re: Galaxy Nexus buyer beware

Why didn't you ask for a replacement. My NFC wasn't working properly, I called Sprint up and the shipped me another/brand new one overnight. I haven't had any of the issues that you're speaking of. I do know that just like the Nesus 4G, when the data icon is blue, you're connected to the Google servers and when they're grey ...you're not.

Also it may have been something wrong with the activation process when you activated your phone. A good habit is to go into settings and update profile and prl, normally the data starts working soon after.

Journeyman

As I wrote in my original post. I reactivated the phone 3 times.  I did a factory reset.  I got wi-fi and updated the prl and profile.  None of that worked. 

Wizard

If none of the troubleshooting has worked, contact the store to see if you can get a replacement device.  This problem has been reported for a few devices and Sprint/Samsung are investigating it.  Sorry for your troubles.

4/27/12 Update:  The source of the problem has been identified and will be resolved with the next software release.  The device team is targeting to have this software release ready early next week.  We don't yet have a solid date as testing is still underway.  

5/2 Update: See this thread for info on the software update to correct this problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Updating your profile is not possible when you have the data connection issue.  You get errror(code 600) connection error when you try and update.

I spent 90 minutes with tech support, and they decided my phone needed to be replaced. They sent me to telephone sales to do the return and replacement. They in turn said that all galaxy nexus phones are affected and replacing it would not fix the problem.

Told me I had until my 14 days was up to return it for credit.

What a crock of bean dip!

I will never buy another Samsung phone. I remeber how long it took to fix the Froyo update for the epic 4g. Not willing to wait past my 14 days and get stuck witha phone with no data service for months!

Day 13 no update and the phone goes back and I wait for the evo 4g lte to come out.

Journeyman

There won't be an update, not ALL of the phones are effected by the no data issue.  Network support called me today about my trouble ticket and if I hadn't already called order support they would have transfered me to get a new device.

Bottom line if your Nexus has no 3G, either go to a store that has them in stock and do a replacement or call up order support (1-866-789-8292) and have them ship you a new one.

If support doesn't want to send you a new one ask for their Name and Sprint ID number,

Google these keywords: sprint consumerist executive customer service

Find the number

Politely explain what's gone on. and the steps you've taken to resolve. (and how you've exhausted everything reasonably )

and if they lied about it being a known issue or whatever. indicate their failings in a factual manner. give the lady their name and id. (if they lied about it being a known issue and about the change in policy)

and that you've tried to be reasonable about escalating the issue yet no-one is willing to resolve your issue.

Hopefully it doesn't come down to calling executive support, at least the network support rep that called me and said that it was a know issue was helpful today, maybe you just got unlucky with your order support rep.

Journeyman

Who's to say you won't have the same issue with the Evo Lte. I suggest do what Firesoul did. I got my GN on April 20. My issue started the next day. I actually drove an hour to a Sprint Corp store and they only received 1 GN and refused to exchange me the one. I ended up calling Sprint and spoke to a supervisor. She was really nice. She called around to several Sprint stores to see if they had any GN in stock and none of them did. So they overnighted me another one and it's working perfect. So yeah, I definately say take Firesoul's advice and call sprint up.

Journeyman

well I had another talk with sprint sales this morning. told them my sad sorry story again, told them about being lied to about all galaxy nexus phones being affected  and they wouldn't replace it but I could return it or wait for a sowftware update.

Then I asked them if all this is true why is it still for sale on their website. After talking to her supervisior the sprint rep made me a appointment at my local sprint corparate store to return my device, and replace it witha new Galaxy nexus.

Hopefully this will end mu ordeal. Still not happy about being lied to by order support yesterday.

Moral of the story is be proactive and point out that the sprint website is still selling them and you will get a replacement.

Journeyman

Hopefully everything will be great this time around. It is bad that they lied to you though. I wonder how come they just didn't offer to ship you another replacement and you have it the next day. The reason being is because every Sprint store doesn't have the Galaxy Nexus yet. They're still waiting on their shipments. The store you're going to might have it though.

Nevertheless, I'm hoping the new Galaxy Nexus doesn't have the same issues your current one is having.

Journeyman

Well order support did offer to send me a replacement this morning, but I deided to go the corparate store exchange instead.

Things did not go well with the exchange at the store. The exchanged the phone and the new phone had the same problem.

The phone was just authorized for a return to sprint for full credit.

Now I wait for the evo 4g lte to be released.

Not going to buy a Samsung phone ever again after this mess

Wizard

It is sad so many people had issues with this and other Samsung phones on Sprint.  Both my Epic 4G Touch and this Galaxy Nexus LTE work just fine.  I suppose I've been very lucky.  Still waiting on LTE to be turned up tho.  I hope it happens in May. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

Thank you for being positive.  It's nice to now that there are fellow sprint customer who can sympathize with the plight of those less fortunate.  And you are 100% right about the early adoption of LTE.  Just wish it would've been a little smoother.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat