cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Nexus buyer beware

Journeyman

Re: Galaxy Nexus buyer beware

Looks like you're in the same boat as me.  Sorry to hear that.  Of course I didn't ask for a replacement because I was afraid of the very thing that happened to you, happening to me.  I sincerley hope that HTC has it together and doesn't let you down. 

Journeyman

Just wanted to let you all know that sometimes, the nightmare doesn't end.  Who here is familiar with the "Kobayashi Maru"?  Cause I'm in it right now.  So I took my phone back on tuesday.  I still don't have my money back as it was credited to my debit card.  I called the bank and they told me that yes, I will be getting the money, it's just a question of when.  A couple more days, maybe.  But that isn't even the real issue.  The real issue is the return of my eligibility upgrade status and original contract date being reinstated.  I was told at the time of return that it would take 3 to 6 days for that to happen.  Last night I called sprint customer service and the rep in Texas told me it was supposed to be taken care of by the store associate.  I go to a sprint corporate store.  He said that he was going to take care of it today round about 4:15pm my time.  I didn't want to wait so I went to the store.  They again told me that it wasn't their job to reinstate my info and that there was a department for that.  I said ok, walked out and went for the nuclear option.  I called sprint executive customer care.

Oh yeah.  Now I know what you are thinking.  They took care of his problem.  All is right with the world and he can now breath easy.  Wrong!  Instead of getting a city busting, multiple warhead, thermonuclear device I got a practice round. 

I tell the guy I'm at my wits end and explain everything that has happened.  He tells me he's gonna handle it.  So I go home and go to sleep, I work nights.  He calls me back around 12:36pm.  Tells me that yes, it is the stores responsibility to reinstate my info.  His supervisor has left an email and is waiting to hear back from them.  He tells me I need to give him a few more hours.   I say ok, looking forward to hearing from you. 

I call him back at 3:40pm.  He puts me on hold to speak to his supervisor.  At 3:45pm he tells me that they are waiting to hear back from the district manager of my area.  And when I ask him why they didn't just handle this themselves he tells me (and I'm paraphrasing here)  that they have to check every block along the way to ensure they've given every opportunity for everyone involved to do their jobs.  Only when they fail to do their jobs can the thermonuclear device by deployed. 

So by 5:00pm today once the clock has run out, they will step in and change my info back to what it was.  Oh and he'll call me to tell me.  Of course then I got a little irritated and said that if they had the power to change it all along why did I have to wait through this b.s. game of everyone not doing their jobs.  He then tells me, that well, they are trying to expidite it.  That normally getting your info reinstated takes about 72 hours.  Just like the lady at the store said it would.  Wow!

Journeyman

Well I tried to get a replacement due to the screen getting purple at low brightness level.  I go to THREE sprint stores and I get the run around like a motherfucker.  I instead got the insurance and I know for a fact that this screen will get worse.  So I am protected and not worried.

Journeyman

I am an EVO LOVER.  Got the GN because it was supposed to be so wonderful. I HATE it.  The camera doesn't work half the time...says "camera not connected" have to reboot.  The external speaker quality is crap, and It crashes. I hate the phone interface.  Tried to find a app I like better but haven't yet  It won't connect FB contacts.    I'm going to the store tomorrow, telling them I am going back to my EVO and preordering the new EVO when I can. 

shellkirkknls wrote:

I hate the phone interface.  Tried to find a app I like better but haven't yet  It won't connect FB contacts.

The Galaxy Nexus (as well as other Nexus series phones) are 100% stock Android. The interface looks and operates the way Google made it. Other phones such as the Epics and EVOs use custom interfaces designed by the manufacturer as as well as custom apps and other software installed by the carriers. If you don't like the way stock Google is, you definitely don't want any phone with "Nexus" in its name.

As far as Facebook contacts, NO phone currently will sync with FB contacts if it is running version 4 of Android (Ice Cream Sandwich). The new EVO will have the same issue.

Journeyman

Same problem with the Galaxy Nexus that Sprint shipped to me... 

So, how does Sprint send this thing out and it's not able to provide data?  Apparently, Sprint cut pre-release testing out of the budget.  Totally unacceptable.

Wizard

theo_737 wrote:

Same problem with the Galaxy Nexus that Sprint shipped to me... 

So, how does Sprint send this thing out and it's not able to provide data?  Apparently, Sprint cut pre-release testing out of the budget.  Totally unacceptable.

Are you still experiencing this issue? If so and you're interested in trying a possible solution could you send me a private message please or respond here so I can send you one.

Journeyman

Well I have a return kit on its way in the mail. If they rollout the update quickly I will probably keep the phone. But I was told after I receive the return kit I have only 10 days to return the phone. Hoping your right and it rolls out quickly or my Galaxy nexus goes back.

Journeyman

I would be willing to try a solution.

My galaxy nexus worked okay, just low on signal the first day.  Now I get no 3G signal at all at the office and I'm in the same industrial park as a sprint service center.  I'd be willing to experiment but otherwise will have to return it tomorrow and go back to my EVO 4G which worked fine.

Wizard

Still trying to convince myself it was right to buy this phone. I like to speed (responsiveness) of the phone and the pure unencumbered Google experience and while I don't have any of the issues people are seeing; the lack of 4G and weaker ability to pick up signals indoors almost makes me wish I was not so quick to sell my Epic 4G Touch!

Cheers,

Journeyman

I wish I had gone to this board first before purchasing the nexus, all I can tell you is I was sold a bill of goods and I am totally unsatisfied. I was talked into turning my evo in because of how good my connectivity would be with the nexus. All I can say is it is miserable. I took the phone in last night because of the issues with my first day using the phone and the rep basically blamed it on my area when I explained that my wife has an iphone with sprint and has no issues and he said maybe the phone is having issues transferring between towers. Issue, 1. Cell signal is always low and fades once you try to use the phone, 2. Wifi connectivity is poor even when next to router, 3. I was moving to Verizon because of issues in my town, I was told phone would solve this issue it has failed miserably. Going to store today to get my money back and potentially end my 12 year service with sprint!!!

Journeyman

I read your post and am sorry to hear that you have the same problem i did.  I wrote the original post after being so dissasitisfied about my experience in the hopes that it would help others.  I didn't go to the forums before i purchased the phone either.  I hope that you are able to get your problem resolved.  At this point I can only share with you what I did afterward. 

I posted some of the things that I was going through, but here is the final resolution.  After getting my upgrade eligibility status returned, I called sprint executive customer care back and asked if there was anything they could do for me for all my troubles.  I was told that sprint does not equate monetary renumeration with problem fixing.  Then I was asked if I was going to get another phone.  I said yes, I was getting a motorola photon.  (More on that in a second)  I was told I had two options.  I could have the activation fee waved or I could get a 100 dollar credit after I had upgraded.  I just needed to activate the phone and then call them back and I would be credited.  They were true to their word and I got a credit for the amount of the phone plus tax.  I too am a 12 year sprint customer.

I purchased the photon after doing all kinds of research and doing so thourough reading on the forums about any and all problems affecting the photon.  The one thing that stood out to me after reading all of this was that the photon has the best radio of any sprint phone.  Where others lose sprint signal, this phone still has it.  And I can tell you based on personal experience that this is true.  I am still waiting to test it out in other known dead zones, but so far, so good.  I had also heard that the screen had issues because it is a pentile screen.  I went to the store and looked for myself.  All I see is a sharp crisp clear screen.  I will never have LTE in my area so 4G was not a concern. 

The way I figure it is that in two years when I'm ready for an upgrade sprint (and every other carrier that uses LTE) will have this network authentication issue figured out.  In the meantime, the photon is an excellent replacement for my EVO 4G.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat