cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

Seriously, how long does it take Sprint to catch up to other carriers for the same devices OS. Google released the update for the Galaxy Nexus to receive Jelly Bean a couple days ago, and of course Sprint has yet to release the OS to it's customers. As this update will improve the performance of the device as well as improve the look of the phones operating system. I am not impressed with Sprint at the moment. When Gingerbread came out, it took months for it to be released to the phones. A sprint rep. said that they will have to check the OS to be sure that it wont damage the phone, when the stock android was released specially for Galaxy Nexus. Sprint, you need to up your game. As a customer, I am unsatisfied. I would really appreiciate if you would release the updates to us Galaxy Nexus customers.

667 REPLIES 667
Journeyman

Re: Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

I forgot to add, does anybody have an expected release date for Jelly Bean on Galaxy Nexus?

Master

As google only released the update to certan devices we have to wait for them  

from   http://www.pcworld.com/article/259074/unlocked_galaxy_nexus_gets_android_jelly_bean_update.html

Google also mentioned that the Motorola Xoom, Nexus S, and other Galaxy Nexus phones (it presumably meant those running on Sprint and Verizon), were the next devices in line to receive the upgrade to Jelly Bean.

Master

We generally get very little notice of when software will release.  It will be posted in the forums when we have a date for we can release.

Journeyman

The biggest joke about this forum is that Sprint actually has their employees attempting to answer questions.  Come on 14KNIGHT your official company answer is going to be a copy and paste from a news site. Is sprint that lame? I mean who heads up your software development team? Some person from that is unaware of upgrades? Sprint should know that Android drops a major release about once a year. Sprint should plan for it in order to keep their customers happy. How long will Sprint be a year behind all other carriers when it comes to software updates on the supposedly "Google Device". It's just a shame. 

When you ask questions like that it becomes more and more apparent. That Sprint holds software updates to help them sell phones and lock their customer in to another contract.

Journeyman

Also  where's the thumb down button on here. I want to dislike the answer.

Journeyman

I totally agree with you! The sprint team needs to up their game. Customer satisfaction should be their #1 goal, and as a customer I am not satisfied.

Wizard

First, this should be moved to the Galaxy Nexus section.

Second, the vanilla GSM version just got Jelly Bean this weekend.  As long as it doesn't take Samsung (the actual company that needs to adapt this update to the CDMA devices) more than a few extra weeks to get Jelly Bean out for our Sprint Version I'm fine. 

Do you seriously believe with all the problems with signal strength, dropped calls, unreliable (and unremarkable) 3G service and the LTE upgrades, Sprint is actually plotting to withhold Android updates to sell more phones that don't work well on their currently moribund network?

Everytime I read nonsense about SGS2 ICS being delayed to help sell SGS3 phone I have to laugh.  Even with all the signal strength, slow 3G and lack of LTE, the SGS3 is one of the best selling phones Sprint have had. Releasing ICS earlier might have encouraged some people to keep the phone but the vast majority won't make a decision based on that.  Most general buyers still don't know that buying a cheaper SGS2 will lock them into a dead-end technology (WiMAX). 

Marketing hype and general lack of availability do more to create artifical demand than any false notion of software update manipulation. 

It's more likely Sprint doesn't have the programming staff to get their crapware updated for inclusion in the Sprint branded phone ICS updates in a timely fashion while trying to roll out new LTE devices. 

The Sprint Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean update will come much sooner than it will to any of the non-Nexus LTE devices released over the last few months.  If I was a HTC EVO LTE or SGS3 owner I'd want the bugs, signal strength and dropped call issues resolved before worrying about the next OS. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

I hear you. I've been lucky. The only issue I've experienced on my EVO LTE is that google wallet was broken but that's been fixed. Outside of that it's been good. I really wanted the Galaxy Nexus and the one of the reasons I did not buy it was due to the slow updates. My previous phone was a Nexus S 4G. This was a pure google device and it got an ICS update after the EVO LTE was released. Or at least that's when my phone detected that there was an update available. This was not due to me not manually checking for the OTA update daily. As far as Sprint not having a dev staff to help with update. It would seem that they could put a small team of devs on a project to update the pure google devices that Sprint has to offer. After all the dev's would not have to add in the additional sprint crapware. Only update the drivers. Oh well. I guess we will just have to wait and see how long Sprint takes to 1.) update android on the pure Google device 2.) Roll LTE to major citys (chi, NY, LA, SF etc....) as of now. I have an High End 3g phone.

Journeyman

Guys, it's been like a week. Take a deep breath, put your phone down, and go outside. You will all be jellin soon enough.

aTribeCalledDroid wrote:

How long will Sprint be a year behind all other carriers when it comes to software updates on the supposedly "Google Device". It's just a shame. 

Where is Sprint a year behind "all other carriers" on software updates? Jelly Bean was released a week ago...and only to "unlocked" versions of the phone. Phones purchased from ANY carrier have not received the update yet.

If updates are that important to you where you need them the second they are released, you need to have a unlocked nexus device on a GSM carrier plain and simple. Or learn to root and install roms on your phone...I've had Jelly Bean running since Friday.

Journeyman

I agree with you coaster (in response to aTribeCalledDroid).  If you do not like it and can't wait you can do something about it rather than complain on here.  TONS of great sites that have info on doing this.  One of the great things about these phones is they are not locked down, you can do whatever u want with them.  Granted if you do not know how to read/follow directions you will brick the device... but out of all the phones I have unlocked, rooted, and romed this is by far hands down the easiest.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat