cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

Go to solution

Re: Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

Where did I say it was built using proprietary drivers included in aosp? The necessary files were pulled from ICS off of the current version in the phone and used to build the ROM with the released source code from Google.

Journeyman

Sorry, I misread your post.  But my point about that being hacked together and not being perfect is still valid.  Also the whole point is that sprint is the one who is dropping the ball here not Google.  And don't give me you can install JB from XDA. Sprint sold this as a nexus device and needs to hold their end of the deal and release the drivers.

No, it may not be perfect, but it's pretty darn good and all the features of the phone work.

Most people posting here don't care about AOSP because they aren't going to build their own roms. Most people here are looking for the official update to the phone. Sprint releasing the drivers so the phone can be considered part of AOSP has nothing to do with the updates. Even if they were to release the drivers, the updates still go through Sprint for testing and approval. Same with Verizon. Google does not directly support Sprint and Verizon phones like they do the GSM version, regardless of it being part of AOSP or not. Google can still create the updates for the phone wihout the drivers being made open source. Unless things have changed, that is how it has been with past nexus devices on both carriers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think one of the KEY things you both missed was that coasterphotos said he installed a custom ROM, whether it is built off the source with Sprint driver from ICS or not it is still a custom ROM. This means you had to root your phone. The biggest problem is that I shouldn’t have to go outside of my carrier to get my phone updated or in some cases to get it to just work (I owned a Moment Smiley Tongue)…

Also coasterphoto, you mention that it’s not perfect… I don’t want to settle for a less than perfect ROM that I have to install after rooting my phone when the source is out and has been for a bit now. You said it yourself, “It was built from source using the proprietary drivers extracted from the ICS build on the phone.” If this was true then how hard would it be for Sprint/Samsung to do this in-house and give us the update? You’re kind of shooting yourself in the foot here and just solidifying our point.

I pay my bill just like everyone else and I think that they should get off their collective butts and get to work, I mean what am I paying for? Crappy signal, crappy 3G, crappy update schedule? With all of the “extra” fees and crap they re-label to pay for the “cost of doing business” you would think that this would be simple.

-side note I am not allowed to connect to the Exchange server at my work if I install a custom ROM, that's why it's such a big deal to me.

If you don't want to settle for a less than perfect ROM, then don't bother ever updating even to official builds. No ROM, official or otherwise has ever been perfect on any phone I've had. And no, technically you don't need to root your phone to install a ROM. It does have to have the bootloader unlocked and a custom recovery installed, but does not need to be rooted....and you can even go back and relock the phone and put the original recovery back on it if you wish after installing.

I've said it before...I will say it again. If updates are so life changing that you require them the moment they are released, you need to be on a GSM carrier with a unlocked nexus device or be willing to install a custom rom if you use verizon or sprint. The Verizon gnex hasn't gotten an update either...so it's not just Sprint.

Journeyman

Man just give it up.  They sold this as a nexus device and one of their selling points was the fast updates and now they are taking forever.  Just because Verizon is doing something wrong doesn't make it OK for sprint to do it.  Also like I said previously Verizon released their binaries for CDMA but I don't see you citing that as an example for sprint instead you choose the negative and say hey Verizon is doing it too.  Just try not to be a fan boy and think logically.

The Nexus S 4G was the first phone on Sprint updated to ICS...so compared to the other phones, it was fast.

I have commented on the fact Verizon released their binaries...and that it doesn't have anything to do with them getting update faster. It just allows Google to distribute them to developers. The Nexus S was on AOSP...and it still took 4 months to get the ICS update.

Taking forever...seriously? It's been 9 days.

Journeyman

When I said "perfect" ROM I meant an official update. I used “perfect” because you said that the ROM you are using is less than perfect, meaning that there is something wrong that you may have neglected to mention. What is your recourse if it bricks your phone or has something installed that steals your info? With an official build you have a legal recourse. On most of the custom ROM sites they state that it will void your warranty and if it brick then it’s all on you. I know you will probably bring up the Carrier IQ issue but that is why I put a custom ROM on my Evo, to get rid of Carrier IQ. I used the CM7 ROM and loved it. Again though I shouldn’t have to go outside my carrier to get a timely update.

So to clear it up, I CAN NOT HAVE A CUTSOM ROM ON MY PHONE IF I AM GOING TO HAVE IT CONNECTED TO MY EMPLOYER’S EXCHANGE SERVER!!

No Verizon hasn’t gotten the update as of today but they seem to have taken an active step in the direction to getting it. AdilC is right, one of the SELLING points was that we would get faster updates. This was always a selling point for the Nexus devices.

The only issue I've found is that if I power off the phone while it is charging it will lock up on the image of the battery on the screen requiring to battery to be pulled to reset it...which I rarely ever do anyways. Other than that, it runs better than the official ICS did.

Yes, you run the risk of bricking your phone by installing ROMS, etc. But with the Nexus and most Samsung phones, it is nearly impossible to 100% brick it if you have even a slight idea of what you are doing. In flashing ROMS the bootloader isn't touched...and as long as you can get back into the bootloader you can recover the phone even if it won't boot into the OS.

Wizard

How is this taking forever? We just got JB on the GSM version a week or so ago.  Even if it takes Sprint/Verizon another month that's not forever.  I can't understand why this is such an issue.  ICS to JB is nice but from a pure functionality standpoint there are very few major improvements and Sprint's slow 3G network is a lot more of an issue. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

Since no one seemed to address the point I made to coasterphoto I will ask it again. As he stated the ROM he is running was built on the JB source with the ICS drivers ripped out of Sprint’s stock ICS ROM. If a person outside of Sprint can do this in the short amount of time that JB has been released then why does it take Sprint such a long time? I’m not saying it’s taking forever, just that they could give us a rollout date. People get a paycheck to complete a job by a deadline. Set a deadline for your developers or suppliers that is a reasonable time frame then tell us what it is. If it doesn’t happen then hold them accountable and if Sprint would be more transparent then their customers wouldn’t so pissed. It’s the being left in the dark that upsets us.

I do agree with you that the 3G network is a joke and so is the LTE rollout but that does excuse them from making the update thing a selling point then not holding true to it. They should be doing what they can to get the update rolled out.

The reason someone outside of Sprint can do it so quick is because there is pretty much no testing involved. Whereas with official releases with Sprint there tends to be 2-3 weeks of testing after they receive a build from the manufacturer or in this case Google. Rollout dates for updates pretty much never happen anymore for any carrier. If you are lucky you get a timeframe down to a quarter or if really lucky, a month.

I have an Asus Tablet...Asus just announced it will be updated to JB "in the coming months". That's about as good as timeframes get any more.

You keep mentioning that they've made updates a selling point? Where? Certainly not on the web site. It says nothing on the page for the gnex about updates.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 10:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat