cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

"Thank you again for the info, you really do seem to have a good understanding of what’s going on, but this leads me to more questions… I do understand that this has to be done from the ground up but part of my point is that, yes at Google I/O Google handed out devices that were running Jellybean, I know they pushed it out to the GSM phones, what I don’t get then is why Sprint would wait till after it was released to the public that it would start work on it. I mean you are telling me that Google does release the source to it partner companies so it would be ready on release date?"

Sprint and Google aren't partners, per say. Sprint uses Google services, as they are open source, and free. Newer rollouts in technology have so many small leaks nowadays. This, coupled with specualtion, always leads to people hearing about it way before it's released. Just like we know the new iPhone will have a 4" display, yet no official announcement has been made. I'm not telling you that Sprint and Google don't collaborate in the slightest, but to be honest, they aren't best buds. Google is into software, and Sprint is into network. People forget this. As a phone company, we provide service for a phone to work - and do so with subsidies and contract. This is something Google doesn't neccesarilly believe in. It isn't blatant, but if Google wanted in on the CDMA game, they'd sell a CDMA Nexus on the Play Store, as they do the GSM Nexus. The architecture for the radio is so completely different between the two and even the toro and toroplus differ a ton. Sprint is merely a distributor of service and corroborator in the update process. Sure, there are legalities, politics, and religious amount of testing, but these updates have to be as close to rock solid as possible before being released to millions of people. Truth is, they still run into issues. Anyone updating to ICS on their Epic Touch runs into issues with app incompatibilities, and and overall broken experience simply because before chaning major android versions (in this case 2.3.6 to 4.0.4), you should always wipe data, otherwise things will simply break. Do people know this? No. Do people want to wipe their data? No. Do people want ICS on their Epic Touch? Yes. See the predicament? I can't tell you how many issues I've seen with debacales like this one.

The teams that work on these things do just that, but it isn't as easy as you think. Being a developer myself, I can tell you that Jellybean runs wonderful on my Nexus; that is, without LTE. And me being in an LTE launch area, that just really blows. I'm in wifi areas a good bit, so it isn't catasptrophic, but I can completely see why a company wouldn't release an update to a device where their network is only sporadically functioning. Multiply this teeny issue by a few hundered thousand, and you have the predicament that Sprint is in. Sure, Jellybean was announced/released over a month ago. But to be honest, for you to get it within even the first six months is going to be an accomplishment given the state of how good of a relationship carriers have with OEMs and Google. Is this the customer's fault? No. But there are considerable challenges with pushing updates, and I've presented those. I'm by no means saying it's okay, because it clearly wasn't for me. Therefore, I'm rooted and running the best working stock port that I could muster.

"As for the first device and “because you'll have it before any other device on the network or in the world for that matter” The Galaxy SIII is getting it soon (GSM) and I was in a Sprint store today holding a Motorola Xoom running 4.1. I know it’s not on the CDMA network but the point of the Nexus line was to have the latest updates before ANYONE, not just anyone on the network. So Sprint is selling a device running Jellybean but the Nexus should have it be any other device in the world?"

As far as this statement goes, the GSIII GSM variant should get the update fairly soon. Is there an official date? No. And even then, we don't know when that update will hit the myriad versions of that device here in the states. CDMA, Dual Core, GSM, SIM/MICROSIM/NO SIM - there are many different architectures of this hardware. Just because they're all Galaxy SIIIs means nothing, just like with the Nexus; things differ vastly. And to be fair, the Wifi Xoom [wingray] is a Google experience device, being that it was the first Honeycomb tablet. Therfore, Google supports it. It has no radio, nor carrier affiliation, and you see you fast updates get pushed to it. Ask any LTE Xoom [stingray] owners when to expect Jellybean, and they'll think back to their wait for ICS and how gruelingly stupid it was. I own a Xoom dev edition, and a 10.1 I recieved at IO last year. Does my 10.1 have Jellybean? Not even close. The sad part is that its newer and more popular, yet Samsung chooses not to support it.

The moral of all of this is that you can't expect updates, and you never should unless you are specifically on a Google Experience Device. Being a Nexus means nothing without that distinction. If you don't purchase it from Google, I personally wouldn't expect it to be Google supported for it's entire lifespan. Pure Google means unadulterated Android with no bloat and gives no preconceptions as to when you will get the latest software. I don't know where reps thought it was okay to mention this down the road, but it's spurred a very expectant customer following. Not even 1% of devices are on this software. Just be patient, you'll get it.

Journeyman

According to this we are supposed to get it this quarter although I'm not holding my breath. http://www.mobilebloom.com/galaxy-nexus-4g-slated-for-jelly-bean-4-1-in-q3/2218368/

Journeyman

I guess to have the latest & greatest Google(Google now) experience with Sprint is to have an iOS device, because it with have a better Google experience than Google's developer device on the NOW network. An iOS device will have iOS 6 before we have Jelly bean for sure

Journeyman

First I would like to thank you, not only for the in depth explanation but for someone from Sprint saying what we all have been. We expected a pure Google device because that is the way it was billed to us. At least you’re in an LTE launch area. I was told at the store we would see LTE at the beginning to mid 2013. Now, because I also found out that Phx doesn’t meet the required 25% customer base that we won’t see LTE till the end of 2013 or the beginning of 2014. So I have a fast phone that I can use if I travel to an area that has LTE… Oh well my complaining is done. You have answered it all and again I thank you for the clearest answer I have EVER gotten from a Sprint agent of any kind.

I did want to clarify one things, when I said partners I meant more like companies that work together in a sense. All the carrier that have Android phones are partners in my mind in the sense they must collaborate in some way in regards to these phone. It’s kind of like divorcees, they may not WANT to work together but they have to for the kids.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well the FG01 update did not fix support for Sprint TV as stated. If they can't even get this right do you really thing jelly bean will be rolling out soon?

Journeyman

well said lmao

Journeyman

i was told by sprint that the release date was 08/29/2012 but i dont believe shit what sprint says cause i have been misled and lied to so many times its bullshit

Journeyman

You're right about that date rumor except that's supposedly when the s3is getting JB. lets just hope for ww3 sake that the s3 doesn't get the update before the Gnex!!!

Journeyman

I say Class Act Lawsuit on Samsung, Sprint, and Google for selling us a false fake Google Exprience device. So get right Sprint and update our Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE devices...

Journeyman

im down lol

Journeyman

That date is for the International version of the GS3, not the Sprint version.  Just consider all of the Samsung software addtions for the Sprint version that are going to have to be tested.  We have no addtional software on the GNex so the approval process with Sprint should still make it the first device to get updated.

Journeyman

Any News, info, or rumors as to when we will get the JB update? It's been about a month and a half since the GSM version got it? I pray to God it's not as long as the ICS update to the Nexus S 4G!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat