cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

Seriously, how long does it take Sprint to catch up to other carriers for the same devices OS. Google released the update for the Galaxy Nexus to receive Jelly Bean a couple days ago, and of course Sprint has yet to release the OS to it's customers. As this update will improve the performance of the device as well as improve the look of the phones operating system. I am not impressed with Sprint at the moment. When Gingerbread came out, it took months for it to be released to the phones. A sprint rep. said that they will have to check the OS to be sure that it wont damage the phone, when the stock android was released specially for Galaxy Nexus. Sprint, you need to up your game. As a customer, I am unsatisfied. I would really appreiciate if you would release the updates to us Galaxy Nexus customers.

667 REPLIES 667
Highlighted
Journeyman

dude forget that, since sprint wont release its binaries to android open source all updates arent pushed thru google. there pushed from sprint. and there big focus isnt the GNex, its not even its GSIII or EVO 4glte, its the iphone. if you got time just go to galaxynexusroot.com and grab yourself the official jelly bean update and flash it. just you tube how to flash and make a backup if your not too familiar. "qbking" has good step by step instructions.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Codename JellyBean ROM is the first one listed, and it is a sweet one.  And good reference to QBKing.  His videos are very nicely done.  Even the biggest n00b should be able to successfully unlock, root, and ROM.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've never rooted a device, but maybe its time to learn a little about rooting. I just get nervous I'll muck it up. I have a Mac so hopefully his videos show how to back everything up on there as well. I'll look it over and if I get up the courage to do it I'll let u know. Lol

Highlighted
Journeyman

Go to xda-developers, click on Forums link, then under most popular devices find the Galaxy Nexus.  Under the Nexus, choose the main forum for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus.  There is a stickied thread that speaks to how to unlock, root, add custom ROM's, etc.  This thread is all videos done by QBKing.  They are step by step, with links even for the different items you'll need to download, such as Samsung drivers for your PC.  Follow his videos exactly as he says, starting with unlocking.  If you start with the one for ROM he is going to direct you back to the unlocking video.  It doesn't get any easier than that.

One additional point:  be aware that unlocking your Nexus will fully wipe the device, whereas a factory reset only wipes the system portion, meaning that once you get all of your personal media and files loaded back on, they won't be wiped with a factory reset.  They reside under a partition that is excluded.  That's a nice thing about the Nexus, and part of what it was designed for, to be a good developers device.

Highlighted
Journeyman

He isn't neccesarily defending Sprint, but clarifying how important updates are to most people. To be honest, no one really cares about updates. Everyone with an Epic either loves it or hates it at this point. Customers have complained for months about their EVO 3D not recieving Ice Cream Sandwich, and as soon as it dropped, everyone had something else to complain about. The same goes for the LG Optimus S and the original Epic. The fact of the matter is simply that most people don't care about what software their phone is running, as long as it accompishes what they want it to.

I know this isn't an argument. You purchased a phone on the bill that it was a Pure Google Device that would satisfy your needs, and never be obsolete on the software front - which it is. I'm not trying to step on toes or to be a jerk, but think about what you're complaining about. What features in Jellybean are you really missing that your life, or device experience, is incomplete without? Do you even know about the back end optimizations that make it a superior, more fluid experience? Or are you so much stuck on the fact that you haven't recieved an update that you are forgetting what it really is, or what it even does?

The general population of Nexus owners are devlopers or power users. Do you consider yourself in this group of people? Are you rooted? Do you know what ADB or SDK even stand for? I'd really contemplate these questions before going off on the forums and threatening to start class action lawsuits. Because this is a void that, in all honesty, not many people care about. Your words will go unanswered and your cries won't be heard. You're acting as if you've been victimized and had the wool pulled over your eyes. But isn't that what all sales people do? Wouldn't you expect that when buying a car? Part of this is on you because you have never had a Nexus before, and if you had, especially on Sprint, you'd know to expect things like this. Sprint and Verizon almost got the Nexus One, but it was pulled last minute. The Nexus S 4G had delayed updates as well. So it isn't like any CDMA company has had a perfectly flawless record of supporting Google, it's software experience and devices. I agree, it's a Nexus, and you want the update NOW. But it hasn't dropped and you aren't happy. I'm sorry. I apologize to the bottom of everthing I am. But I can tell you, I've been confronted with this issue so I learned how to correct it myself.

If you want to get the most out of your device, and really learn what the true premise of a Nexus is, you need to do your research, and ask yourself what you want out of your device. Then, make it happen.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I could answer all your questions, but quite frankly my thumbs r numb from replying to this post. I get it, you're saying to root the device but I really think you people are missing our point. I get EVERYTHING you're saying trust me, but rooting the device should not be the solution. And there is plenty that JB offers that I want for this device. Again, I could go on and debate with you for days, but I don't have the time nor the energy and don't really think I should have to since none of what I have been saying is rocket science. You and coasterphotos keep on defending sprint. Its cute.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey Eric, apart from the argument ongoing about the delay in the ROM, the Nexus is by nature made for to be customized.  It is by design to be easier and safer to do these things.  Mind you, I'm not saying it is impossible to mess it up, but it is certainly made to be much harder to do that, especially if one follows the excellent tutorials available on xda.  Unlocking and rooting though may void the warranty.
Highlighted

I'm not necessarily trying to defend Sprint, just pointing out some things that you seem to be missing. Nowhere does it say ANYTHING about the Sprint Galaxy Nexus being promised prompt updates. If you know the history of the past Nexus device on Sprint (and Verizon) you'd know it doesn't happen. There is no definition of "Google Experience" to say what it includes other than it is pure Google software, with no added bloatware. Everyone just came to assume it meant quick updates...because that is what happend with the original Nexus...which was not offered by Verizon or Sprint. Technically, when the Samsung Moment was released, it was called a Google Experience device because it did not have a custom UI....and anyone that had one knows how the updates on that went....

The Nexus line was originally designed as a developer device by Google, at one time only available through Google.

I've been running JB on my phone since a few days after it was released. It took all of 5 minutes to unlock, install custom recovery and flash the rom. Unless you are changing file systems or doing something with the bootloader, the Nexus (and most Samsung Android phones) are nearly impossible to brick. If you mess up flashing a rom and your phone won't work, you just boot back into the bootloader and try again. This is a big reason most people buy a Nexus device. And if you are worried about your warranty, it is really simple to undo everything and Sprint would never know.

Highlighted
Journeyman

True on the ability to undo the unlock and root.  There is info for that on xda as well, and you're right, no one would ever know. 

The Epic 4G Touch early ROMers were in fact bricking their devices, until they figured out there was something they needed to change in their methods.  I didn't attempt it early on for the device, so I don't recall for certain.  The Nexus line though, as you say, is designed to be pretty much fool proof.  Follow the videos or tutorials and it is nearly impossible to mess things up.  I am allowing for acts of God, sudden power outages, etc. as reasons that you could theoretically mess the device up.  🙂

Highlighted
Journeyman

So hi everyone. I am new to Gnex and Sprint. I want to know how to root, flash a rom for jelly bean using my MacBook Pro. I cannot believe I have searched all over the web and have seen nothing regarding rooting or updating using a mac. So, on that note, I am assuming you cannot do this using Mac, only PC? Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually doing anything software wise to the phone does not void the warranty it is actually illegal for a warranter to refuse warranty if you unlock or root your device. Now if you root and unlock and cause the defect or malfunction it is your fault and warranty is voided but if you have it rooted and unlocked and say there is a hardware defect or the screen breaks they are not legally able to refuse your claim.

Highlighted
Journeyman

There are ways to accomplish this. The Android SDK actually runs better on a UNIX based system. I'm sure if you don't want to get into the ADB portions of it, that there can be a one-click method available. Check out Rootzwiki and XDA.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat