Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

Go to solution
Journeyman

Galaxy Nexus yet to receive "Jelly Bean" update!

Seriously, how long does it take Sprint to catch up to other carriers for the same devices OS. Google released the update for the Galaxy Nexus to receive Jelly Bean a couple days ago, and of course Sprint has yet to release the OS to it's customers. As this update will improve the performance of the device as well as improve the look of the phones operating system. I am not impressed with Sprint at the moment. When Gingerbread came out, it took months for it to be released to the phones. A sprint rep. said that they will have to check the OS to be sure that it wont damage the phone, when the stock android was released specially for Galaxy Nexus. Sprint, you need to up your game. As a customer, I am unsatisfied. I would really appreiciate if you would release the updates to us Galaxy Nexus customers.

667 REPLIES 667
Journeyman

May I suggest going to xda-developers.com and going to the sub-forum that pertains specifically to the Sprint version of the Galaxy Nexus?  From there, open a free account so that you can ask questions of some very qualified and technically savvy people.  Search too, as I'm fairly certain I recall reading a thread in that forum pertaining to the Mac.  For one, as Watts_ suggests, I don't believe the Mac has to worry about installing any drivers or additional software to recognize the Nexus, as does a PC.  I've not tried Rootzwiki so I can't really comment on that one.

Journeyman

Hi, thanks for your reply. I saw that thread but it does not have a good description of rooting using a mac and I do not believe it mentions updating to jelly bean but thank you. I will have another look. Oh also, the comments from on watts thread had a lot of people having issues just rooting, I figured mac would be that much worse.

Journeyman

Rooting isnt that hard at all this is as hard as it gets you download 3 things unless mac needs drivers im not sure. You download a root flashable zip file you download clockwork mod touch and you download the sdk(the first to can be found on xda the last one is on googles developer site for the first to make sure to look in sprint galaxy nexus forum).

1. Enable usb debugging in developer settings

2. Navigate to sdk folder/platform tools

3. through your terminal type adb reboot bootloader

4. when in bootloader type fastboot oem unlock WARNING THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA!

5. then reboot after you have re set up your phone and coppied the root zip to your phone get back to the bootloader using step 3

6. place the unzipped clockwork mod image in your platform tools folder

7. type fastboot flash recovery insertnameofrecoveryfilehere.img

8. then go to backup and restore and make a backup

9. go back then go to install zip then choose zip from sd card and then install the root zip

10. reboot from the main menu of clockwork mod.

Journeyman

when you say erase all data, you mean on the gnex right? I don't have much on there except a few contacts. you do not mean all the factory stuff right? Also will it hurt my mac to do this? And once I do this which rom do you recommend I update to jelly bean? Thanks much. As I still haven't seen too many instructions for using mac to do this I am a bit worried I will screw up and noone will really be able to help me fix. Thanks.

Journeyman

Maybe I really should not try this as I am pretty good with computers but not tech savvy??

Journeyman

i sent you a private message

Journeyman

Thank you!

Journeyman

To answer some of your questions, one as I have stated before I am not rooted, reason being I cannot connect to my Exchange servers for my work with a custom ROM. It’s not that I don’t have the ability, it’s the security policy. I can be fired for it. The second part, yes I do know about Project Butter and how the phone moves smoother or “buttery smooth” as Google put it at I/O. ADB = Android Data Bridge, SDK = Software Developer Kit, Yes I know these terms and have I have them installed and have used ADB to connect to phones and played with SDK a bit.

And last, Watts_ go back and read some posts from coasterphotos, anytime someone says something negative he or she tries to defend Sprint, done it on more than one thread. Like I have been telling everyone to read what you have posted. You gave the best answer so far with no BS. You do not defend or attack but educate. I also believe you about the “void” that is a forum. I doubt anyone that matters really look at these things, and I mean the “powers that be” not the techs that are trying to help. It took me getting to Executive Customer Service to get a problem with my Moment resolved.

The reason I bought my device on Sprint was A) I already had Sprint B) my family is mostly on Sprint C) anything I read didn’t say anything about the GSM vs CDMA about the Gnex. Had I known I might have chosen a carrier that not only could give me the updates I want but has an LTE presence in my city now and not the end/beginning of 2013/2014…

To coasterphotos about that rooting, I bought my Gnex to get away from the bloatware without having to root my device. Not because it is a developer phone. You keep avoiding the fact that a custom ROM my not be an option do to policy restrictions that people have at their work. So I have to choose between an update I should get in a timely manner or getting work email on my phone for my job…

Journeyman

I apologize. I wasn't really directing that last post at you, but those who just blindly want an update simply because it exists.

coasterphotos has some excellent points, and I agree with everything that has been said.

How do you actually connect to your servers at work, and what security policy prohibits you flashing anything? I'm just intrigued. I had that problem for quite some time here at Sprint, and found a work around.

Journeyman

ADB = Android Debug Bridge.  But yea I completely understand where you ate coming from.  You shouldn't need to unlock your bootloader and root to install what should be a stock ROM.  Also unlocking your boot loader and rooting etc absolutely voids your warranty.  I'm not a lawyer but I know that if by rooting or installing a custom ROM your hardware doesn't function as it was intended then it voids the warranty.  For example in the early days the torch light apps didn't work for the nexus one without rooting.  Once you rooted, you could use it as a torchlight.  Some apps allowed you to run the torch light at high intensity.  This may cause certain parts to wear out quicker.  When you unlock your boot loader you get a warning saying you are voiding your warranty.

To people who intend to install the custom ROM and plan on using Google wallet I would like to suggest don't root.  The Google wallet app will not work if you are rooted.  There may already be a work around to this but I'm just giving a heads up.

AdilC wrote:

To people who intend to install the custom ROM and plan on using Google wallet I would like to suggest don't root.  The Google wallet app will not work if you are rooted.  There may already be a work around to this but I'm just giving a heads up.

Google Wallet app works just fine on a rooted Galaxy Nexus...always has. No work around necessary. The app tells you that you are using a unsupported device when you run it because you have an unlocked bootloader. This is because if you lost your phone and someone knew what they were doing, they could most likely access your Wallet app and use your accounts.

Journeyman

It does not they like to say it does but as long as you dont damage the phone when you root it or unlock the bootloader and there is something else at fault the warranter has no legal right to refuse your claim.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat